One opened, more to come!
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Hollywood Blvd Stress Test Center a stressed out mess
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:41 am 

I was on Hollywood Boulevard yesterday and snapped photos of the cult's testing center.

For a group obsessed with public image this Scientology testing center is flunking and is not "at cause" over MEST (aka looks like shit).

The sign has suddenly begun really falling apart, the awning (which still contains the painted over name of the previous tenant) has rips in it. The security fence along the front has been broken apart which means homeless people are sleeping in the doorway at night. There is graffiti on the glass and metal.

Both protester Happy Smurf and I have noticed that the testing center is often closed and barred with the broken security fence. Hollywood Boulevard is really hopping these days despite a down economy and many people walk by all day. It seems highly likely the cult is having trouble finding enough people to man the thing now.

Post subject: Re: Hollywood Blvd Stress Test Center a stressed out mess
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:22 am 

Good eye, AGP.

What time was this photo taken?

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:30 am 

The testing center seems to only open in the evening hours on weekdays and during the day & night on weekends. I spoke with a reporter several months ago who had interviewed an Armenian who worked there with her husband, on commission, after answering an ad on Craigslist. The woman was lured in with promises of making big money (what's new?) and she & her hubby were not only manning the desk as receptionists & passing out brochures at the door & on the street, but they had to perform janitorial duties.

They worked at the center for 3 weeks, 60 hours a week & she & her husband, combined, earned $130 for the entire time they were there. The woman complained to the California EDD (Employment Department) & was told that because she & her husband were hired as independent contractors, paid on commission-basis only, they were exempt from the minimum wage rules. Anyone that works at the Testing Center has to sign a contract attesting they are independent contractors.

Guess the ruse is not working right now. Whenever the center is open nowadays, there is an elderly man standing at the door way passing out propaganda.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:03 pm 

Wow the place looks terrible...Its very sad that the church feels they have to take advantage of people during this economic setback. I'm very surprised that EDD did not help these people out. CA changed the laws as to what kind of "jobs" could be classified as independent contractors (it became obvious that many employers did this to avoid paying taxes and workers' compensation). Hopefully someone heard the pleas of the Armenian couple and they will help them challenge the contract that was signed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:32 pm 

I'mglib wrote:
Good eye, AGP.

What time was this photo taken?

The pic was taken at about 3:45 PM on Tuesday.

I saw the old man Smurf mentions at the center several times myself. Hey, maybe he died :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:02 pm 

AGP lets make this speculation correct and accurate, as a clam, he did not die, simply may have dropped his body....The place looks like a flop house. Fastest growing cult in the world should be able to keep up appearances.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:05 pm 

I'm curious about whose stars are in front of that place. If anyone goes by there anytime soon and thinks of it, please take pictures of the celebrities names on the stars there or just tell us who they are. You know, 'cause I just want everything. :wink:

http://www.worldcat.org./profiles/Wieber/lists/563909

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:47 am 

Wieber wrote:
I'm curious about whose stars are in front of that place. If anyone goes by there anytime soon and thinks of it, please take pictures of the celebrities names on the stars there or just tell us who they are. You know, 'cause I just want everything.
Dean Martin, Betty Grable, Elizabeth Montgomery. No, they weren't Scilons, but Elizabeth was a witch.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:28 am 

Smurf wrote:
Wieber wrote:
I'm curious about whose stars are in front of that place. If anyone goes by there anytime soon and thinks of it, please take pictures of the celebrities names on the stars there or just tell us who they are. You know, 'cause I just want everything.
Dean Martin, Betty Grable, Elizabeth Montgomery. No, they weren't Scilons, but Elizabeth was a witch.

Oh, cool! And Nicole Kidman played a witch in the movie, Bewitched, so there's a slight connection there.

I looked at the testing center with Google Maps. I have to say, I had a sexier looking Hollywood Boulevard in my mind than what's actually there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:08 am 

Hollywood Blvd is NOT an attractive street. It's pretty grungy, actually.

Here are some folks taking down a stress table at the testing center, way back when.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3W3uI4YWTA

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:22 am 

I'mglib wrote:
Hollywood Blvd is NOT an attractive street. It's pretty grungy, actually.
That's to change real soon. City officials approved a plan to "reinvigorate" Hollywood Blvd, but turning it metropolitan with lots of skyscrapers.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011 ... eeting.php

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:41 pm 

Wieber wrote:
Smurf wrote:
Wieber wrote:

Oh, cool! And Nicole Kidman played a witch in the movie, Bewitched, so there's a slight connection there.

Cool again! Betty Grable was a (sort of) witch, too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:40 am 

Smurf wrote:
I spoke with a reporter several months ago who had interviewed an Armenian who worked there with her husband, on commission, after answering an ad on Craigslist. They worked at the center for 3 weeks, 60 hours a week & she & her husband, combined, earned $130 for the entire time they were there. The woman complained to the California EDD (Employment Department) & was told that because she & her husband were hired as independent contractors, paid on commission-basis only, they were exempt from the minimum wage rules. Anyone that works at the Testing Center has to sign a contract attesting they are independent contractors.

Guess the ruse is not working right now. Whenever the center is open nowadays, there is an elderly man standing at the door way passing out propaganda.

...there you go, another one of those stories around Scientology there are so many of they can not even be told within reasonable time.

The "screwed subcontractors" plots around Scientology are I think one of the elements Janet Reitman did not spend too much attention on in her book.

Sometimes I'm thinking how will Mark Bunker ever even finish his film with so much "knowledge" to report.
:|

Last edited by sconetale on Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:19 pm 

well...I guess the Hollywood Blvd. Stress Test Center needs a stress test itself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:05 am 

I look at that place and think: That would make a nice bakery.

That's what came to mind right away. I think it would make a nice coffee shop or ice cream parlor. Something like that might generate some business and prosperity in that area.