Hubbard-style Word Clearing.

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Demented LRH
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hubbard-style Word Clearing.

Post by Demented LRH » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:57 am

I must say from the start that I do not know the real purpose of the word clearing, although I have a hypothesis.

I have a fond memory about the word clearing procedure because I did everything I could to avoid it. After I learned how to fool the e-meter, the procedure became a piece of cake.
I knew that the failure to do word clearing was a crime against Scientology, but I could not care less.

My goal in Scientology was to learn Dianetics and Dianetics only, everything not related to it was a waste of time for me. In order to proceed with the “Dianetics doctrine” I cleared one word only, which is “engram”; after that I was set. In Dianetics Volumes I and II Hubbard uses regular English, no word clearing is needed to understand the Dianetics procedures.

When I was taking the Bridge courses (I got to Level 0 only) I came across the word “static”. For some reason it caught my attention and I decided to clear it. I run into this definition:

“AXIOM 1. LIFE IS BASICALLY A STATIC.
Definition: a Life Static has no mass, no motion, no wavelength, no location in space or
in time. It has the ability to postulate and to perceive“.

This shit made no sense to me. However, I thought that it had no relation to Dianetics (I still do not know if it has any relation to Dianetics), so I did not dwell on it.

After I joined Sea Org, I was ordered to take courses in management, which are based on The Management Series (my stay in Sea Org was short, 6 months). All my college electives were the courses on management and economics; soon I realized that The Management Series suck. However, I was grateful to Hubbard for not using weird vocabulary in his articles on management and economics because I did not need any word clearing to understand them.

Year after I left Sea Org I decided to study the Hubbard works (HCOBs and Policy Letters) that are thought to be the foundation of his philosophy (by that time I knew that Hubbard was “the greatest philosopher in the history of mankind). I cleared several key words and begun the study of Hubbard shit. None of it made any sense to me, I could not understand any of it.

I was surprised by my lack of understanding. Prior to the study of Hubbard’s “philosophy” I read the books by Carnap, Bertrand Russell, Kant, Aristotle, Hegel, Wittgenstein and several other renowned philosophers. I had no trouble understanding their works except, maybe, for Hegel. But he is known for his extremely difficult style of writing; a lot of philosophers, including Russell, had complained about that.

I think that Hubbard insisted on word clearing because it gives appearance of substance in his works, while there is none. However, there may be another reasons behind the word clearing.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

L. Ron Hubbard era un maestro de masturbacion fisica y mental.

Wieber
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hubbard-style Word Clearing.

Post by Wieber » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:38 am

In the wog world it's called "looking up words you don't understand in the dictionary," or "looking up words" for short.

It's a useful thing to do when studying things. The wog "tech" on it instructs to figure out the meaning of a word from the context it is used in before looking it up. At a time before Hubbard issued his fantastic study tech I had a teacher who told the class when using a dictionary to use words in sentences after looking up their meaning. The other variant she instructed was to restate the meaning of the word in our own words.

Hubbard didn't really come up with anything new that was any more helpful. He did come up with the physical response due to a misunderstood word and the business of 'individuating' and then committing 'overts.'

Personally, I have found looking up words to be a useful activity when studying. As to the word clearing methods and the use of the e-meter I now think that's all superfluous but very profitable for $cientology, as the organization charges quite a bit for word clearing in division five.

As to how effective the activity is with education could very easily be verified and or further developed with empirical, experimental testing. Hubbard (and now Miscavige) would never allow such a thing as it would result in non proprietary methodology with no money in it for the $cientology organization.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Scientologists are not supposed to give one another verbal data regarding the Hubbard doctrine; instead they should refer to particular articles which contain the requested data. In practice this rule is violated on everyday basis because it is too cumbersome. However, when a Scientologist does not understands the data, they do not discuss it but give a references to it.

I knew that the word “thetan” is an equivalent of the word “spirit”, but I could not figure out what the word “theta” means. I asked several Sea Org members about its meaning, but instead of explaining it to me they gave me lists of Hubbard works covering this topic. It was a clear indication to me that they did not understand the word “theta” either.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

dirty hippie

Post by dirty hippie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:58 pm

Yes. What Wieber said.

Throughout life I've never hesitated to look up words in the dictionary. It can be fun.
However, thinking back, I have successfully figured out the definition of many words by way of context. There's not a damn thing wrong with that. It requires more of your mental ability to do it, it requires more of you, but it takes less time.

"Word clearing" is just another one of Hubbard's obedience drills. And if you figure out something by yourself, then Hubbard doesn't get credit for it. Hubbard wanted all his slaves to unconsciously credit him (or his tech) every time they looked up a word in the dictionary. And so, scientologists are constantly being sent to the dictionary.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:05 pm

This would be a good thread to discuss the 'star rate checkout.'

I'd describe it but I've only had two cups of coffee today and I'm not up for it. I'll come back and do it later if no one else does. "A to B?" Yeah, right.
Doris Lessing

bparker230

Post by bparker230 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:08 pm

“AXIOM 1. LIFE IS BASICALLY A STATIC.
Definition: a Life Static has no mass, no motion, no wavelength, no location in space or
in time. It has the ability to postulate and to perceive“.

By that definition, life would be extremely boring. No motion, no location in time.....sounds like somebody on some serious drugs!!!! Oh wait, Hubbard was on some serious drugs...It figures!!!

mr_bad

Post by mr_bad » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:32 pm

This is a perfect example of how a simple little piece of advice like "hey, look up words you don't understand" gets turned into a disgusting scourge on the culture.

The pretense is that every word the fat ass uttered was game-changing gold.

It's so nauseating.
Here's Jabba the Hub as he writes crappy sci-fi while his wife sits prison...OT Priorities personified!!!

juno

Post by juno » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:56 pm

I've basically viewed it as a 'thought-stopper'. You have to stop your reading right there, take time to find the word in the (properly authorized) dictionary, etc. The result may be understanding of the word at the expense of understanding of the gestalt of the sentence, passage, page,etc. The process might even derail processes like logical inference and memory forming.

As a child, my teachers always encouraged us to find meaning by deduction from context before going to a dictionary. That BS about being eternally messed up if you keep reading past a 'misunderstood word' is just that.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:54 am

Alright, then -- the 'star rate checkout.'

I bring this up as part of this thread because, as I see it, the action ties very much into the $cientology concept of misunderstood words, word clearing, and the thought reform achieved through its application.

Variants:

star rate checkout
star rate
* rate
star rated
star rating

There may be others.

On a $cientology course check sheet there are numbered items listed with instructions and a space for a signature at the end of the line for a given item. No instruction on an item means to study whatever it is named as the item. Other instructions tell the student what to do. If there is an item that has an asterisk before its number that means the material must be star rated unless the student is a 'fast flow' student. I'm not going into what fast flow is about.

The procedure for a star rate checkout is: the student studies the material, using Hubbard's fantastic study tech. Then he takes it to another student or in some cases the course supervisor for a star rate checkout. The checkout starts with the person doing the checkout picking out words at random and asking for a definition and for the student to put the word in a sentence. "What does the word 'floof' mean?" "Put the word 'floof' in a sentence." Then they ask questions about things in the material and finally they ask the student to demonstrate various things with demo kit items.

If at any step of the checkout the student hesitates, gives a wrong definition, or fails to answer a question or demonstrate what is asked they fail the checkout. The person testing says, "flunk" and hands the material back to the student who then has to go and study it again.

By hesitate is meant if after the tester asks a question there is any time at all before the student answers that's a failure. "What does 'floof' mean? . Flunk! You hesitated. Go look up your word and restudy the material."

Everyone involved in $cientology experiences this. Actually those who just get auditing and there are some in that category may have never experienced it but those who don't take courses and only get audited are looked on as dilettantes. In $cientology 'dilettante' is considered a put down. Besides, in order to do the upper levels at clear and above, a person has to do the 'solo' course, buy an e-meter and take metering courses. Eventually the organization gets everyone on course.

Looking back it seems to me the 'star rate checkout' was a form of thought reform. It isn't word clearing as such but I think it comes close enough to be in this thread.

Any questions? Any comments?
Doris Lessing

dirty hippie

Post by dirty hippie » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:39 am

Wieber wrote: On a $cientology course check sheet there are numbered items listed with instructions and a space for a signature at the end of the line for a given item. No instruction on an item means to study whatever it is named as the item. Other instructions tell the student what to do. If there is an item that has an asterisk before its number that means the material must be star rated unless the student is a 'fast flow' student. I'm not going into what fast flow is about.

The procedure for a star rate checkout is: the student studies the material, using Hubbard's fantastic study tech. Then he takes it to another student or in some cases the course supervisor for a star rate checkout. The checkout starts with the person doing the checkout picking out words at random and asking for a definition and for the student to put the word in a sentence. "What does the word 'floof' mean?" "Put the word 'floof' in a sentence." Then they ask questions about things in the material and finally they ask the student to demonstrate various things with demo kit items.

If at any step of the checkout the student hesitates, gives a wrong definition, or fails to answer a question or demonstrate what is asked they fail the checkout. The person testing says, "flunk" and hands the material back to the student who then has to go and study it again.

By hesitate is meant if after the tester asks a question there is any time at all before the student answers that's a failure. "What does 'floof' mean? . Flunk! You hesitated. Go look up your word and restudy the material."

Everyone involved in $cientology experiences this. Actually those who just get auditing and there are some in that category may have never experienced it but those who don't take courses and only get audited are looked on as dilettantes. In $cientology 'dilettante' is considered a put down. Besides, in order to do the upper levels at clear and above, a person has to do the 'solo' course, buy an e-meter and take metering courses. Eventually the organization gets everyone on course.

Looking back it seems to me the 'star rate checkout' was a form of thought reform. It isn't word clearing as such but I think it comes close enough to be in this thread.

Any questions? Any comments?
Hadn't heard of "star rated checkout," so I've been waiting all day for this. And, just wow. It's all there. The busy work, the judgments, the required validation, the repetition and the catchy name for what it really is, "thought reform."
The emphasis is on the ritual, not on progress. All Hubbard had to do was come up with it once. So he wasn't wasting his own time. He moved on to make up more shit, leaving the ignorant scientologists to sweat over flunks and whatnot, and investing more and more of their minutes, hours, days...

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:09 pm

When I was taking management courses, the supervisors did not use star rate checkouts. Following procedure was used: a student would ask a fellow student who was ahead of him on the checklist to ask questions about certain portion of the text. If the “tutor” liked the answers, he would sign the sheet. If the answers were not satisfactory, the student was told to study the text again and clear the MUs.

When I was taking the Bridge courses (I got to Level 0), the star rate checkout procedure was used. In most cases I could infer the meaning of a word; I also knew how to lie on the e-meter. My deception worket in 90% of the cases; however, there were instanced when I could not infer the meaning of a word, so I had to clear it
L. Ron Hubbard

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Soon after I joined Sea Org, discovered that no one uses the complete word clearing procedure, namely its last step, which is memorization of the ancient root of a modern word (in most cases that would be either Latin root or Old English root). This step is clearly so ridiculous that even die-hard Scientologists do not burden themselves with it.
L. Ron Hubbard

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm

Demented LRH wrote:Soon after I joined Sea Org, discovered that no one uses the complete word clearing procedure, namely its last step, which is memorization of the ancient root of a modern word (in most cases that would be either Latin root or Old English root). This step is clearly so ridiculous that even die-hard Scientologists do not burden themselves with it.
The etymology note with definitions was ignored completely when I was on staff in the seventies. There must have been a bulletin between then and now that said to add it. During word clearing that note is read but no one really worries or cares about it.

In my wog education we were told to put a word we were looking up in sentences that indicate the meaning of the word - context again. That's not in Hubbard's fantastic tech. His instruction is to put the word in sentences and that's it. An example of this is, where 'fast' is the word being dealt with, 'The boy was fast.' It may be correct but there's no way the sentence shows the meaning of the word from its context.
Doris Lessing

Readyforaction

Post by Readyforaction » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:29 pm

Every time I start thinking tiny fists invented dev-t I just have to come to threads like this to remember how it all got started. Lil' Davey has just embellished it over the years.

AngryGayPope

Word clearing helps insult the student

Post by AngryGayPope » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:22 pm

Because Scientology is BS and preys on the insecure it needs a lot of made up words to sound important and make you feel dumb.

So it does not believe in "love" or "souls" it has "affinity" and "thetans" (from the 8th letter of the ancient greek alphabet theta "θ").

People who are dumb or uneducated might have trouble reading many books which are "real." Having trouble reading hubbard fools them into thinking they are at fault, not Hubbard.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”