One opened, more to come!
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 2:07 pm 

This is a longshot, but perhaps Navy commanders who ascend in rank go 'up bridges', i.e., move on to better and better ship's bridges?

- Pippi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 6:06 pm 

Freeborn,

LOL!

Pippi,

Interesting speculation. Hmmmm.............

Regardless of the origin of the phrase, if you go "up" a bridge, you are prevented from actually crossing the damn thing!

"Don't invalidate my reality!" they say.

No problem. Life will invalidate it without any help from me.

By the way, check out the thread "You know you've been in Scientology too long if...", and see what funny ideas you can add to it. There are so many stupid or funny phrases in Scientology, and it's fun to play around with them. I know the CoS is a suppresive organization, but try to lighten up people, and have a laugh about it, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 10:56 pm 

I cannot remember where I saw this but I think LRH got the Bridge from Bhuddism.

In one peice of writing Bhuddism is described as a bridge from a volcanic, barran land across a rocky chasm.

This exact immage crops up from time to time within the cult (LRH loved anything to do with volcanos).

I am sorry I must be so vague.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 2:23 am 

One of the problems with being on staff is obtaining the promised "staff enhancement" (training,auditing of staff).

One is actually expected to come in during the other shift (ie:if one is on "day org" staff, one is expected to come in at night) and study and get staff enhancement. If one does not, one gets less pay units.

Most staff cannot do this. If they work "foundation: (eves/weekends) they probably have a day job. If they work day org, they probably have a nighttime job.

Also I think it was LA Day that was supposed to have the Universe Corps go there and audit all staff to OT because they achieved St. Hill size.Well, the Universe Corp went there but left long before that promise was fulfilled.

My experiences on staff were negative and at the time I honestly thought it was just THAT particular missionholder, that this was an anomaly.

But since then I have met many staff and it's not an anomaly.

Contracts are, typically, 2.5 years, 5 years, and 10 years.

Every single person who hangs around long enough in CofS, who does more than a basic course or two, WILL get recruited for staff.

One may ask why staff are lying to them but it's almost like an abused family member situation- they keep thinking it's going to get better PLUS, in addition to that line of thinking- there's the religious thing. They are devoted to a cause and they feel there's nothing like Scn and that the world's about to crumble and it's up to them to be dedicated and to save it.

I think they should read about Debbie Cook and her sportscar she bought soon after extorting money from Maria Pia Giardini.

I also want to note that after I became somewhat established as being critical of CofS while at the same time still being a Scn'ist by creed, that church members started coming to me with their stories. These were not angry disenfranchised sour exes (which is how ex Scn'ists are perceived by many Scn'ists)- these were members in good standing who LIKED Scn and wished CofS would get its act together. The things they said closely paralleled things the saner, less vitriolic exmember slash critics have said and things that appear in various affidavits and so forth by certain exmembers.

Gee, how 'bout that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 4:06 am 

That is true, Fluffygirl. While still a participating member in good standing I was not happy with some of the policies in place, particularly the disconnect policy. Long before being SP declared I viewed that policy as the single greatest source of upset and ill repute in and for Scientology, and I was definitely not alone. Without giving it much thought I could name eight still-active Scientologists on OTVII who expressed disdain and resentment for that policy. And they all, myself included at the time, clung to the hope that it would somehow change, that management would somehow realize what an onerous effect it created on morale. Once I received my SP declare a number of Scientologists I'd known in years past contacted me to say how incredulous and sorry they were that it had happened and that they felt badly for "having" to disconnect. Purely from a management perspective, this could not be considered a smart move. It drives in unexpressed resentment.

The great beauty of sites such as this one is that it serves as an educational tool as well as loosening the 'comm lines', whether or not they accept, confront or like it. And it is definitely creating an effect which will only increase over time. I believe the long term net result will be that even loyal Scientologists will be increasingly less willing to have that degree of control exerted over their lives, particarly in their close family relationships. In an effort to counter this, the smartest tactical move they could make at this point would be to issue a general amnesty and cancel the disconnect policy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 12:59 pm 

Particularly, not particarly. Perticerly. Pertikinsly. Partickly. Purticumsly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 5:36 pm 

Claire,

I found that most staff members I knew were good people, with high ideals. Most of us wanted to help clear the planet, and get ourselves cleared and OT also. The conditions on staff were definitely poor, yet few complained, because of the "cause", and also because of the threat of ethics conditions, or feeling we were giving counter-intention to our noble ideals, etc.

When I finally left the CoS, the unspoken became widely spoken among FreeZoners. The common thread I heard about the church, was not personal attacks or desire to destroy the church. The common thread was that most former Scientologists regretted having to leave, but felt forced to leave because the church was so poorly managed.

Had the bulk of the money taken in by the church been distributed among staff, as was their due, the church would probably have a much larger membership now, and staff would have had the opportunity to get clear and OT without co-auditing or taking other jobs.

So many mistakes......... The CoS is it's own worst enemy.

Charlie,

Funny you should mention a general amnesty.
On several occasions throughout the years since I left the CoS, I wondered if they had ever attempted to lure people back into the church, by some sort of amnesty.

Of course, the requirements for such amnesty would be sec-checking, Ruds with a crunch, word clearing, ethics conditions from the bottom up, etc. There would be the assumption that it was the blown person's fault he or she blew in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 7:16 pm 

My favorite is particlarly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 3:17 am 

I don't know, Galileo. The Internet and Freezone are seriously cutting into the viability of their Game Plan of taking over the world. Squashing either would be a tough nut for them to crack at this point. Purely from a survival viewpoint, something they've got a certain instinct for, some fairly dramatic moves need to be made. SP declaring left and right, as well as tightening the reigns, isn't much of a strategy, IMO, nor is endless litigation regarding the Internet (or anything else).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:41 am 

Charlie,
I'm curious about why you and others whom you mention clung to the hope that the disconnect policy would somehow be changed. As I was leaving COS, my auditor Wayne Miller (of whom I was very fond) said to me: Why are you leaving? If you believe there need to be changes, why don't you stay and work for those changes from within the church?

My answer was: There is no mechanism for change, no means by which COS can evolve. Quite the contrary -- those who attempt to alter policy or tech are declared SPs or squirrels or the like.

Did you envision some way in which Hubbard-decreed policies such as disconnection could be abolished?
~~ Mary Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 7:42 am 

Charlie,

Yeah, the CoS doesn't make it attractive to "return to the fold", do they?

OK by me! :)

Like I said, they are their own worst enemy.

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 11:52 am 

Songbird, I think it was the phenonmenon that Fluffygirl mentioned in her post. It was like being in a dysfunctional, abusive family and hoping against hope that things would somehow get better. Upper management could make changes the same way they've made changes in the tech--by just doing it.

I know the odds are not in favor of sweeping changes occurring but there are several factors coming into play which have not been present in the past. First and foremost, most of the individuals in key positions of management in Scientology are men in their forties and fifties, which means they're just coming into full maturity. The tendency is to lighten up about things as you mature and not take it all SO seriously. Second, the Internet, Freezone and McPherson case, which includes LMT, have all had a cumulative effect on the bottom line. At this point, they're limited in what they can do about the Internet and Freezone, and have GOT to be scratching their heads and asking themselves why they didn't just settle the McPherson suit when it was filed and they were still ahead (if they're too arrogant and pigheaded to be doing this then there won't likely be changes).

Finally, we in America are facing the very real threat of nuclear annihilation by a terrorist attack. If Warren Buffett, the most unflappable of unflappables, talks about the inevitability of it, then I don't consider it military/media propaganda and disinformation. Flag is virtually a stone's throw from MacDill air force base, which would be a prime target. I think our times call for dramatic changes. In fact, they beg for them. And I think anything the INS, military or law enforcement have to offer in the way of protection are limited and oppressive at best. The most effective way to deter an incident is on an etheric level, which involves, fundamentally, healing and reconciliation, which cannot and will not occur when something like a disconnect policy is in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 2:56 am 

As far as I know, the last couple amnesties were not unconditional. They pertained to auditors who needed their GAEs handled and repented.

DM just does not want to grant total amnesties.

He really can't because of his stance regarding the ever burgeoning critic scene.

He's ser faccing all over the place and the worse the critic scene gets the more he dramatizes this.
And the more he does THAT, the worse the critic scene gets.

Such a man in the midst of such activities is not going to be granting any general amnesties.

DM does not want to address any of the outpoints of the church. And Hubbard started the church out with that same brook-me-no-interference-because-I said-so stance as is evidenced in KSW1.

I don't think the church will reform unless DM AND those who think just like him are ousted or leave by other means.

I like the Scn philosophy but I've become just a bit cynical re groups. I have seen people in the Free Zone demonstrate some of the same mindless and insane censorship and nastiness that I've seen in the Church. Mostly, though, that's not the case. Plenty of decent people there. But, for that matter, there are plenty of decent people in the Church, still, too.

So where does that leave us?

Well, I think there shouldn't BE a Church. I think there should have been loose knit but somewhat organized auditing groups and a system by which people could get qual'ed and get more training.

Had Hubbard, after he got a taste of fame and fortune, and later, DM, really wanted to "clear the planet" or at least get lots of people helping each other out with the tech, this is what would have happened.

Not much auditing takes place in your average ClV Org or Mission.

I'm not against groups and 3ds, per se. But I think they can be problematic and I think there are no utopias.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 2:57 am 

As far as nuclear threats go, well, we were in grave danger during the Soviet Regime/Cold War period.

And we may very well be in danger, now, too, but to me, that's same old crap, different day.

Doesn't mean I'm in denial, but it does mean I think nothing's changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:28 am 

Do you really think nothing's changed, Fluffygirl? Maybe I'm more aware of it since I'm a coming-of-age baby boomer, but things do seem different to me. Maybe it's this combined with the planet seeming awfully small with instant news and the Internet connecting us all, but I do sense some very real shifts occurring.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next