How I Fooled the E-meter.

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Demented LRH

How I Fooled the E-meter.

Post by Demented LRH » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:24 pm

I had been hating the e-meter since the moment I saw it. Prior to the movement on the Bridge to Level 0, I had read Hubbard’s books Dianetics Series Volumes I and II (very large volumes, I must say); at the time of these books’ writing Hubbard had not adopted the e-meter. I saw the $2,500 monster as an attempt to extract more money from me, I never bought it.

Word clearing was a pain the ass, I hated it even more than the e-meter. I had no qualms when I tried to fool an e-meter during the detection procedure. At first I was just lying about the knowledge of a word without trying to influence the e-meter; in 50% of the cases the dumb device “confirmed” that I cleared the word. The figure, 50%, was an unmistakable indication that the e-meter readings were random. I wanted to boost my success rate to 100%, so I took a close look at the workings of the silly device.

I borrowed an e-meter from my friend for one day and begun the research. I made a list of 50 questions and was using the e-meter while giving the answers to them. I gave incorrect answers to all questions on purpose, but the stupid device showed that I gave correct answers to 24 questions, which was in line with my previous observations -- the e-meter readings are random, which makes them meaningless.

I used another list of 50 questions, this time I was giving CORRECT answers to all of them, but I was squeezing the cans quite hard (I suspected that it the force applied to the cans that determines the outcome of the measurement procedure). To my surprise, in all 50 cases the e-meter indicated that I gave INCORRECT answers. Now I knew the e-meter’s flaw!

Finally I used the last set of 50 questions. This time the cans was resting in the palms of my hands as usual, but my fingers were barely touching the cans. I gave INCORRECT answers to all questions, but the e-meter indicated that all my answers were CORRECT. Now I knew how to fool the silly contraption!

If you want to fool the e-meter, apply as little pressure as possible to its cans. No matter what you say, the dumb machine will confirm that you are telling the truth.

I used this technique to avoid the word clearing; couple of times I used it during the auditing sessions as well when I wanted to hide the truth from the auditor. If you’re in Sea Org, you can use this technique during the sec checks.

I wish I could take the credit for discovering this method, but it was discovered long before I heard about Scientology. The method was always present since the adoption of the e-meter.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

L. Ron Hubbard era un maestro de masturbacion fisica y mental.

heyjupiter

Re: How I Fooled the E-meter.

Post by heyjupiter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:43 pm

You can actually get e-meters for a lot less than you think- This one retails at about £10 and you can get them in most good toy shops. SORTED!!

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks for starting this thread, DLRH.
I fooled the e-meter the only time I went into a Scientology building, in the 1970's. My Scientologist relative took me on a tour of the Fort Harrison, where I was appalled at the cheesy posters with deeply dumb "historic" costumes and sets. I only knew then that the e-meter was like a lie detector, and engrams were like evil spirits. Before I knew it, I was in a room with an auditor who offered me the cans. I decided to use my Transcendental Meditation, which I had been doing for four years, so that I could dive deep into the relaxed state in seconds. I could have done better with my eyes closed, but I looked serene and repeated my mantra inside my head, then picked up the cans. I continued silently repeating the mantra between my spoken words. I didn't tell him I was meditating. I answered his questions in a calm friendly voice (not a "I'm enlightened and you're not" voice). Now that I think of it, I held the cans lightly, so that confirms DLRH's initial post.
The auditors jaw immediately dropped and his eyes widened. That confirmed I was "doing it right" and I got more...and more...and more relaxed. He asked me a few questions and seemed to be anxious to end the session. My guess is his faith was shaken that a novice could get a floating needle.

spacecootie

Post by spacecootie » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Don Carlo wrote:The auditors jaw immediately dropped and his eyes widened. That confirmed I was "doing it right" and I got more...and more...and more relaxed. He asked me a few questions and seemed to be anxious to end the session. My guess is his faith was shaken that a novice could get a floating needle.
Reminds me of the South Park episode, where the stress test reveals Kyle "has the highest Theetan levels ever detected!" Maybe he just thought you were a "natural clear," and he was disappointed that there wasn't much money to be made off of you.
My Scientologist relative took me on a tour of the Fort Harrison, where I was appalled at the cheesy posters with deeply dumb "historic" costumes and sets.
The cheesy photos were part of the reason I left after taking a few courses and getting some auditing in the late seventies.

They had just released What is Scientology?, an expensively, hardbound coffee table book. The overall production values were pretty high, and the typesetting and materials were quality, but the photos wouldn't have made it past a junior high yearbook editor.

I mentioned to a staff member that the photos were horrendous. There was an operating room scene with hand-lettered signs and a backdrop that looked like a shower curtain (shades of the cockpit scene in Plan 9 from Outer Space).

That's when I was introduced to the ethics officer, who wondered why I was criticizing the amazing new book. "Uhhh... because the pictures are cheesy, amateurish and awful, and anybody who ever read Fun with Dick and Jane in first grade would have higher expectations?"

I was assigned a condition of Doubt and ordered to complete the formula. "But I have no doubt that the book would be much, much better if the photos weren't so awful, and that it's so bad I would be embarrassed to show it to anyone."

As I later found out in one of the recent critical books, I had actually committed an act of high treason, because Hubbard himself took the photos in that book and, like everything else he ever touched, they were brilliant specimens at a level that lesser beings would never be able to duplicate. (I think the North Korean government has hired the Scilons who wrote the church's official biographies because the only things that come close to that level of BS are the North Korean stories about Kim Jong Il and Kin Jong Un.)

EDIT: The story of Hubbard and the cheesy photos is in Counterfeit Dreams by Jeff Hawkins.

http://counterfeitdreams.blogspot.com/2 ... -flag.html

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:18 am

Even if all you did was watch movies like Ben Hur, Ulysses or Cleopatra, you'd know the costumes were ridiculous.

Back to fooling the e-meter - after that e-meter session, my relative totally left me alone about joining Scientology, so it really paid off!

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:50 pm

After a Sea Org member’s stats crash, they are given a sec check the purpose of which is to determine whether they have committed crimes against Scientology. If no crimes were committed, they might be spared from being sent to RPF. But the E-meter gives random readings, as I found out, so there is a 50% chance that an innocent person will end up in RPF. This is something that the OSA monitors should know – they are in a constant danger of being exiled to RPF.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Many people think the auditor can read their minds, and they confess having thoughts against CoS. It's CoS's low-tech detection of Thought Crimes, without all the bureaucratic effort in the novel 1984. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoughtcrime .

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:43 pm

It would be challenging to stay relaxed during an abusive sec check, which is an immoral invasive mind-f*k. There's nothing wrong with lying if you feel you must endure this situation. since they would welcome a juicy confession anyway. Tell'm you took street drugs (with lurid details) and get kicked out of Sea Org but not disconnected from family. Think of a relaxing topic, like dreams about a favorite pet or (non-Scientology) celebrities, then admit they were in your dreams, in which you did something illegal, so it's a kind of thought-crime, and counts as a confession. Freely admit to rampant masturbation while thinking about a celebrity. Keep it light and steamy while you give them lots of "crimes" to write down.

(I've never been through a sec check but this would be the only way I could stay relaxed enough to lightly hold the cans). If sec checks are too traumatic, and you can't stay relaxed, make them NOT want to see you. If you are a good liar and retired so they can't sabotage your career, consider telling them you have a contagious disease. Flu is great since they can't make you go to the doctor, and it mutates into new strains; it can drag on or disappear as you find convenient. Read up on flu so you can fake the symptoms (if you can escape "their" doctor). If they still can drag you in for a sec check, PREPARE. Get a tiny drop of hot sauce on your finger and touch it to your eyes so they redden. Rub hot sauce in your navel, elbow, or sides of your fingers; even if it dries you can secretly touch it, and then your eyes, to keep the redness going. A "fake being sick" site suggests a little toothpaste on the under eyelids, but not the eyes, to get the eyes red. Put pepper on the wrist of your sleeve, and sniff it to create a sneeze. Buy a tube of green concealer in the make-up aisle of your drugstore, and rub it all over your face to look sickly pale. Sneak into the bathroom, gargle from your water bottle and make some water go into your windpipe so you wheeze. Rub on your stomach, arms and under your fingernails strong-smelling cheese like Stilton (or the stinkiest, Limburger) and tell them you have a fungus on your genitals that doctors can't identify. Talk about your disgusting smell and how others react and how it makes you feel. Cough into your hands, then touch everything.

Control the conversation and bamboozle THEM.

If none of this would work, act dumb and broke so you can't pay for a sec check. If all else fails, move far away.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:46 pm

On several occasions I have felt like shit while the person reading the meter indicated a floating needle to me.

The three things looked for to indicate a floating needle are "cog, fn, vgi." Often this is verbalized as "cog, fin and viggies." Translation: cognition, floating needle, very good indicators.

A cognition is defined as a sudden realization. A floating needle is as described above. Very good indicators are things like having a calm enthusiastic attitude, probably accompanied with TR zero eyes and a smile.

Indicating a floating needle is an "end phenomenon" or EP. That means that the purpose of whatever process or question applied to the person has been achieved and the process or question should stop.

So here's what you can do to at least bring a particular line of e-metered questioning to a screeching halt.

Get your floating needle and say something like, "So that's why kangaroos look like a tyrannosaurus rex!" Then straighten up, smile and look bright eyed. If you feel like laughing do that, too.

That may not end a sec check but it should take the person asking the questions to the next one on the list.

If you can manage what they call a floating TA that's even better. A floating TA is a floating tone arm. It is a needle that floats so widely the person running the e-meter has to move the tone arm control on the meter back and forth to see it. A floating TA means that the person holding the cans is so "keyed out" that continuing any more
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:28 pm

There is a needle phenomenon called rock-slamming or something like that. A needle slams into the casing and moves backwards to repeat the cycle. Supposedly, the rock-slammers are the hardened SP. In reality this phenomenon can be observed on the E-meters with manufacturing defects. I could explain what causes rock-slamming, but I do not want to waste time on that.
L. Ron Hubbard

Peter Schilte

Post by Peter Schilte » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Demented LRH wrote:I had been hating the e-meter since the moment I saw it. Prior to the movement on the Bridge to Level 0, I had read Hubbard’s books Dianetics Series Volumes I and II (very large volumes, I must say); at the time of these books’ writing Hubbard had not adopted the e-meter. I saw the $2,500 monster as an attempt to extract more money from me, I never bought it.

Word clearing was a pain the ass, I hated it even more than the e-meter. I had no qualms when I tried to fool an e-meter during the detection procedure. At first I was just lying about the knowledge of a word without trying to influence the e-meter; in 50% of the cases the dumb device “confirmed” that I cleared the word. The figure, 50%, was an unmistakable indication that the e-meter readings were random. I wanted to boost my success rate to 100%, so I took a close look at the workings of the silly device.

I borrowed an e-meter from my friend for one day and begun the research. I made a list of 50 questions and was using the e-meter while giving the answers to them. I gave incorrect answers to all questions on purpose, but the stupid device showed that I gave correct answers to 24 questions, which was in line with my previous observations -- the e-meter readings are random, which makes them meaningless.

I used another list of 50 questions, this time I was giving CORRECT answers to all of them, but I was squeezing the cans quite hard (I suspected that it the force applied to the cans that determines the outcome of the measurement procedure). To my surprise, in all 50 cases the e-meter indicated that I gave INCORRECT answers. Now I knew the e-meter’s flaw!

Finally I used the last set of 50 questions. This time the cans was resting in the palms of my hands as usual, but my fingers were barely touching the cans. I gave INCORRECT answers to all questions, but the e-meter indicated that all my answers were CORRECT. Now I knew how to fool the silly contraption!

If you want to fool the e-meter, apply as little pressure as possible to its cans. No matter what you say, the dumb machine will confirm that you are telling the truth.

I used this technique to avoid the word clearing; couple of times I used it during the auditing sessions as well when I wanted to hide the truth from the auditor. If you’re in Sea Org, you can use this technique during the sec checks.

I wish I could take the credit for discovering this method, but it was discovered long before I heard about Scientology. The method was always present since the adoption of the e-meter.
Demented LRH, a year or 2 ago, discussing this matter with Roadrunner on ARS, I pointed out exactly this to him. As all the E-meter is, is a skin resistance meter which can be manipulated by squeezing the cans, or not. Needles to say he never could except this from a wog!
Thanks for confirming my point of view!

Peter
"THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN CONTROL PEOPLE IS TO LIE TO THEM."
- L. Ron Hubbard

http://www.scamofscientology.nl

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:34 pm

Marcy Sargent was sent to RPF because the e-meter confirmed that she had withholds (her needle was not floating). After she spent 3 days at RPF, she received another sec check, this time her needle was floating. She was released from the RPF prison and returned to ASHO Foundation. Two different e-meters were used to interrogate Marcy. This shows that either the e-meters or the auditors were defective. I would say that both the e-meters and the auditors were not quite right.
L. Ron Hubbard

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:23 pm

“Scientologists believe that the device has such sensitivity that Hubbard could use it to determine whether or not fruits can experience pain, as in his 1968 assertion that tomatoes "scream when sliced."

Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-meter

If two electrodes are inserted into a tomato, the current will be flowing freely between them because the water is a conductor (80% of a tomato mass is water), the needle will be floating.

But if the electrodes are inserted into a coconut, there will be no current between them because this fruit is an isolator (it is very dense, there is very little water in it); the needle won’t be moving.

Of course, Hubbard the Idiot didn’t know these basic facts.
L. Ron Hubbard

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:37 pm

I’m going to give more data on the e-meter phenomenon known as “rock slam” (the Scientologists whose e-meter needle rock-slams are seen as the worst kind of Suppressive Person).

Electric current in a battery is due to the motion of electrons and ions between electrodes. This current is not steady because of the impurities that are present in the battery chemicals, often spikes of electricity are observed. To prevent a measuring apparatus from false readings, limiting diodes are added to their electric circuits, these diodes keep the current volume below certain limit.

But sometimes defective diodes that are unable to limit the current are produced by the diode manufacturers, and find their way into the circuits of measuring devices. When this happens, the devices are subjected to excessive currents, which causes, in Scientology lingo, the rock slam.

There is an unordinary large number of e-meters with defective diodes; in the next post I will explain why this happens to the Scientology devices.
L. Ron Hubbard

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:55 pm

The companies who produce electronic products such as transistors and diodes use certain mathematical statistic methods for quality control.
Usually the diodes are produced in batches; each batch consists of 10,000 devices. Out of a batch, 100 diodes are selected for quality control. If the number of defective devices exceeds certain limit (usually, 5%) the whole batch of 10,000 diodes is discarded as garbage. This is a significant loss of money; some companies might decide to sell the batch at a fraction of cost if they could find a buyer.

Why would a company buy devices that have a high probability of being defective even if they are being sold at a discount price? The companies that sell their product to the customers would never buy such devices. However, the companies that use the devices for internal use would gladly buy them because they can replace a defective device with a good one without spoiling their relations with the customers.

The Church of Scientology don’t care how good their e-meters are because the e-meter readings are meaningless, so they do not mind buying diodes with high probability of being defective. Even with the good diodes, the e-meter is a piece of shit; it makes no sense to try to improve the kaka that doesn’t work on the first place.
L. Ron Hubbard

Return to “Opinions & Debate”