Where to put this?

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Wieber

Where to put this?

Post by Wieber » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:36 am

I can't derail Karen's thread again so here's this comment out here all on its own. If more such comments arrive here expect the thread title to change.

How The Data Series works in practice in Scientology.

L. Ron Hubbard wrote a series of policy letters that he called The Data Series.

The whole point of The Data Series was to analyze information in order to find a 'why' and a 'who.'

(Look if you want to find the who, just watch the newspapers for the announcement of their next concert.)

In The Data Series Hubbard gives all these instructions on how to assign outpoints to information and to keep investigating until a reason for something, a 'why', can be found. Hubbard states that just finding a why is sufficient to start improving a situation.

That's all well and good but in practice in the Scientology organization what determines a why is not so much the evaluation of a collection of data but the seniority of the person who evaluates it and decides what the why is. In a situation where two or more people figure out different reasons for something, the person with the highest rank wins out. They may be wrong but they are the senior. That's one of the ways the Scientology organization works.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

El Jefe'

Re: Where to put this?

Post by El Jefe' » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:07 am

Keith Moon and John Entwistle are dead so you can only find half a Who.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:43 am

That's all well and good but in practice in the Scientology organization what determines a why is not so much the evaluation of a collection of data but the seniority of the person who evaluates it and decides what the why is. In a situation where two or more people figure out different reasons for something, the person with the highest rank wins out. They may be wrong but they are the senior. That's one of the ways the Scientology organization works.
And of course if the ultimate "who" is the guy on the very top running the whole show, since he has the highest rank he can never be touched and nothing will ever change.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:11 am

I'mglib wrote:
And of course if the ultimate "who" is the guy on the very top running the whole show, since he has the highest rank he can never be touched and nothing will ever change.
Exactly.

The guy at the tippy top is always exempt from all rules, regulations, and punishments anyway. But that's another posting.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:21 pm

The Scientology organization seems to really like numbers. I may post on this later with examples but I have noticed they like giving flat statistics on items that see trivial.

By flat statistics, I mean one time instances of things, such as number of pages printed, number of words in a document, number of chairs in a room, and that sort of thing.

Is this part of David Miscavige's personality? I ask because I don't recall there being such an obsession with numbers when L. Ron Hubbard was running the organization.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Some time ago I talked about my what I called an intuitive image of what I saw in store for Scientology.

I described it as a large meteor on its way to hitting Scientology. I think Leah Remini leaving Scientology and the resulting press could qualify as a fulfillment of that vision. Look, I'm not psychic. I have no oatee powerz. I can't predict the future beyond taking a look at what's going on and guessing.

Having said all that I do have another intuitive vision for what's coming to Scientology. I'll tell you what it is for the fun of it. I expect nothing will happen remotely resembling it. Keep in mind this is a completely metaphorical image. Leah Remini's exit from the Scientology mother ship, as it were, is coincidental and I'm just making it fit.

Alright then. Here's the new vision. I see a very tiny particle ripping through scientology at an extremely high velocity, similar to what in science fiction is called a railgun pellet. Keep in mind this is metaphorical.

I'll be sure to be looking for something that I can coincidentally fit to that, but don't read anything into it. Better still just ignore it.
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:57 am

The end of CoS might simply be when the next popular CoS celebrity quits, and CoS's Facebook police are unable to force the dwindling members to defriend the escapee. At the first hint of their buddy quitting, the members might just bolt for a vacation in the woods away from news and social media, and never touch their Facebook page. Two weeks later, they come back and see many, many of their friends have also managed to NOT defriend the escapee. The threats become shrieks and they still don't defriend.
A tiny tiny few (like Anne Archer + Jenna Elfman + Kirstie Alley) have to defriend ALL the disobedient members. Then, on Facebook, the escapee plus a hundred who didn't defriend, are all buddies together. Some may even laugh at threats to throw them out, some may outright quit, and, some may not obey CoS but not quit either. To keep its bullying tradition, CoS has to throw out those out for disobedience.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:16 am

Now that I'm away from and out of Scientology this is my impression of what happened.

From the day I crossed the threshold of a Scientology org the entire organization under the direction of its leader acted deliberately to destroy me for the benefit of its leader.

The staff members acting as agents and minions of that leader don't really know that's what they are doing.

They failed.

That's putting my experience and my take on it, as an expression of my opinion, into a nutshell.
Doris Lessing

SeeYaBye

Post by SeeYaBye » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Wieber wrote:The Scientology organization seems to really like numbers. I may post on this later with examples but I have noticed they like giving flat statistics on items that see trivial.

By flat statistics, I mean one time instances of things, such as number of pages printed, number of words in a document, number of chairs in a room, and that sort of thing.

Is this part of David Miscavige's personality? I ask because I don't recall there being such an obsession with numbers when L. Ron Hubbard was running the organization.
I was on staff in the 70's, when LRH was king of the Scientology domain. There was an obsession with numbers even then. Everything always had to be quantified so the anything that anyone was doing could be assigned an ethics condition. The person assigned that condition then had to work the formula for that condition to work into a higher condition. For example, when my stats were down, I might have to do the Danger formula. Here is the crazy stuff LRH said about "Danger" in his book An Introduction to Scientology Ethics:

DANGER

A Danger Condition is normally assigned when:

1. An emergency condition has continued too long.
2. A statistic plunges downward very steeply.
3. A senior executive suddenly finds himself or herself wearing the hat of the activity because it is in trouble.

The formula for the senior declaring a Danger Condition:

1. Bypass (ignore the junior normally in charge of the activity-handle it personally)
2. Handle the situation and any danger in it
3. Assign the area where it had to be handled a Danger Condition
4. Handle the personnel by Ethics Investigation and Committee of Evidence
5. Reorganize the activity so that the situation does not repeat
6. Recommend any firm policy that will hereafter detect and/or prevent the condition from recurring.

The senior executive present acts and acts according to the formula above.

Junior Danger Formula

Where a danger condition is assigned to a junior, request that he or she or the entire activity write up his or her overts (contra-survival actions) and withholds (undisclosed contrasurvival actions) and any known out-ethics situation and turn them in at a certain stated time on a basis that the penalty for them will be lessened but if discovered later after the deadline it will be doubled.

This done, require that the junior and the staff that had to be bypassed and whose work had to be done for them or continually corrected, each one write up and fully execute the FIRST DYNAMIC Danger Formula for himself personally and turn it in.

First Dynamic Formula
1. Bypass habits or normal routines.
2. Handle the situation and any danger in it.
3. Assign self a Danger Condition.
4. Get in your own personal ethics by finding what you are doing that is out-ethics and use self-discipline to correct it and get honest and straight.
5. Reorganize your life so that the dangerous situation is not continually happening to you.
6. Formulate and adopt firm policy that will hereafter detect and prevent the same situation from continuing to occur.

So rather than sitting down with you and saying, "hey, you need to work a bit harder," or some such thing, your boss would point at your graph (yes, everything has a stat, and every stat is on a graph) and say, "you are in Danger," and you would then have to follow the above formula and fully write up what you had done to handle the danger condition, including a complete writeup of your overts and withholds, and present that writeup to your boss within a few days of being assigned whatever condition your graph indicated. Insane, and a monumental waste of time. Always an obsession with stats on a graph, and what is happening with that graph each and every week. And every week being required to work on the formula for the Ethics condition based on your stat as it showed on your graph. Every staff member has a graph showing their week by week stats, and they are all posted on a wall for all to see. Even the janitor has a stat that is posted on a graph. Always an obsession with stats. That has always been part of working in a Scientology church, or any company using Scientology admin techniques.
Last edited by SeeYaBye on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The truth is the kindest thing we can give folks in the end." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:22 pm

With reference to your post, SeeYaBye, on stats and the danger condition:

I agree with all of what you said. I was in very much that situation at that time as well.

I noticed some other things going on that made that system of post/product/statistic very unfair.

A staff member could work their ass off for Scientology, be extremely productive and end up at Thursday at two with a down statistic, doing anything from emergency on down, with the associated punishments and amends.

There are, in Scientology, instances where staff are called on for what is called "all hands." What that means is they are removed from their post and required to do work unrelated to their post, product and statistic. None of that work earns them credit toward their statistic.

There are other functions a staff member is required to carry out that also do not have any influence on their personal statistic and for which they get no credit. The main example of this is the letter quota that some berk in division one assigns to everyone. Failure to meet that quota will result in a knowledge report in the ethics folder.

When the first congress lectures came out there was footage at the release event for them that showed the people working for the publications org doing an all hands packaging the congresses to get them out. Under the dulcet tones (sarcasm) of David's narration you could tell from the facial expressions and body language of the publications staff they were not happy with doing that job. Doing such an all hands for a single day almost certainly means a down statistic at the end of the week.

Join staff. That's a major Scientology mantra. Scientology policy ensures that every Scientology staff member has the deck stacked against them.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:22 pm

For a good time search 'Scientology ashtray' on Google.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:35 pm

I continue my progress of recovery from Scientology, which is much less rapid now as most of the effects from involvement with that cult have been dealt with. I reached a conclusion. It was there already but I put it into words. Since it is my conclusion you can take it as theoretical and you should test it, not just accept it.

I concluded that belief filters a person's perception. This is especially the case when what is believed is not true. It is even more the case when outside influence enforces belief.

In metaphorical terms I put it to you that as Scientology frees up that old held down seven it works to hold down the two, five, and nine.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm going to talk about a feature I observed in the big org where I was on staff and in the small org where I left Scientology forever. There is a picture of L. Ron Hubbard hanging in almost every room in those orgs. It doesn't hang in washrooms, utility rooms, walk-in closets and those types of rooms.

The first time I walked into a Scientology org the pictures of L. Ron Hubbard on the walls brought Orwell's 1984 to mind immediately. As much as I tried, I never could shake that impression and the associated text from the novel, "Big Brother is watching you."

Those who have been involved with Scientology will understand what I'm going on about here. For those of you who haven't been in Scientology take a walk around where you live and as you go from room to room imagine where in a particular room you would hand Ron's picture. Do it again where you work.

These are the most common pictures of Hubbard you will find hanging in orgs. They'll help you with your imagining.

Image Image
Image Image

There are other pictures of him that hang in the orgs. I'm not sure how the orgs get the pictures. I think they are sold to the orgs by Bridge Publications. Some of the pictures that people hang, usually in their personal post space, are cut out of Scientology publications.
Doris Lessing

heyjupiter

Post by heyjupiter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Probably of all the things that set alarm bells ringing in my bemused head, it was the applauding of LRon's portrait at Org events. The overbearingly large ginger icon was in the main room where lectures were given and I noticed it in a few other rooms- but not in the loo or the kitchen. As everyone stood up and turned sideways to applaud the portrait, I felt myself receding from the group of people there, as though actually physically moving a safe distance from them to observe. I was amused, baffled and then chilled by seeing them do this and I too had visions of an Orwellian horror unfolding. I think I stifled a giggle but I can also remember feeling nauseous as I left the building later that evening as I recalled the adoring faces turned to that picture. It disturbed me for a long time, but it also ensured I never went back.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 pm

heyjupiter wrote:Probably of all the things that set alarm bells ringing in my bemused head, it was the applauding of LRon's portrait at Org events. The overbearingly large ginger icon was in the main room where lectures were given and I noticed it in a few other rooms- but not in the loo or the kitchen. As everyone stood up and turned sideways to applaud the portrait, I felt myself receding from the group of people there, as though actually physically moving a safe distance from them to observe. I was amused, baffled and then chilled by seeing them do this and I too had visions of an Orwellian horror unfolding. I think I stifled a giggle but I can also remember feeling nauseous as I left the building later that evening as I recalled the adoring faces turned to that picture. It disturbed me for a long time, but it also ensured I never went back.
I didn't experience applauding L. Ron Hubbard's picture until I was well indoctrinated and signed to a staff contract. I think if it had happened on my first visit to the org it may have been my last.

Much later on I attended my first event at which a DVD video was shown with David Miscavige hosting the event and giving his unique speech. (Every speech delivered by David Miscavige is the same speech.) I found a few things a little odd . . . no, make that a lot odd.

Every time David Miscavige hit the conclusion to a part of his speech, the audience in attendance gave him a standing ovation. This happened even when the point he made was trivial. There were sea org members scattered about in the audience and they would lead the applaud-and-stand response. If that were not odd enough, when a standing ovation happened on the video, there were staff members among the viewers in the org who also led the audience in standing and applauding.

Let me go over that again just so you get it. When the recorded audience gave David Miscavige a standing ovation, the audience at the org viewing the recording also gave him a standing ovation. In both cases staff members present led the response.

I could tell from the body language that most of the people in attendance also found it very odd. Despite finding it odd we went along with it. I strongly suspect that the staff members leading the action were not doing it because they felt it was a nice gesture, but that they complied to a directive from management to do that.
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”