Ortega's Underground Bunker

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

Don Carlo

Re: Ortega's Underground Bunker

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:06 pm

Fresh DOX: Police calls to the Narconon in Fort Collins, Colorado — unedited and unread! July 31, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/07/31/fresh- ... more-24539

Tony, in London for book tour, asks Bunkeroos to review and comment on 209 pages of police calls regarding Narconon in Colorado. Numerous nuggets of evil are found, especially patients suffering seizures from drug/alcohol withdrawal. Narconon hasn't got the medical staff to properly treat painful and possibly fatal seizures. Odd complaints that aren't followed up might be retaliation against staff for quitting.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:13 pm

When Jesse Prince sec-checked David Miscavige: A Scientology interrogation for the ages, August 1, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/01/when-j ... -the-ages/

1. Jesse Prince writes about his battles with CoS
2. Debbie Cook is not allowed to write about Scientology. She and husband have returned to the US and she wrote a book about Fibromyalgia.
3. Tony snickers at Tom-Cruise-Shroud-of-Scientology art piece
4. Scott Timberg of Salon.com interviews Tony O, “What does Jon Stewart have to lose by asking real questions?”: Scientology watchdog explains Tom Cruise’s media blackout, July 31, 2015, http://www.salon.com/2015/07/31/what_do ... _blackout/

The Underground Bunker has reached a million comments !

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:04 pm

Garcias’ appeal rejected; now the couple faces the real possibility of Scientology arbitration, August 2, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/02/garcia ... bitration/

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:44 am

Don Carlo wrote:Garcias’ appeal rejected; now the couple faces the real possibility of Scientology arbitration, August 2, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/02/garcia ... bitration/
If that goes to internal arbitration by Scientology the arbitration will find for Scientology. What a surprise!

It's just like putting Dracula in charge of the blood bank.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:17 pm

Scientology’s Freedom magazine congratulates itself for going ‘Ideal,' August 3, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/03/scient ... more-24613
1. Freedom Magazine hired outside journalists to make it more earnest and "ideal."
2. Mission Impossible 5 Rogue Nation had a successful opening weekend, but CoS still drags down Tom Cruise's reputation.
3. CoS offers first synopsis and first three chapters of Dianetics, free on the Internet.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:14 pm

London! And a member of government asks us, what can we do about Scientology? August 4, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/04/london ... more-24627

Tony O and John Sweeney get an inside tour of London government buildings from a member of the government, who asks them what British lawmakers can do to stop Scientology abuses. Tony asks the Bunker for ideas, and many are offered in the reader comments.

Lots of comments about the London event with John Sweeney.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:39 pm

What really happens at a Scientology rehab? Nick Lister dishes on the Narconon experience, August 5, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/05/what-r ... xperience/

1. Nick Lister describes life in Narconon and on staff. He told off his org bosses numerous times, and this story ended with him trying to quit. I want to know the next chapters of his story.
2. Recap of the London book tour event. Some photos of Tony O with:
Old Guard, Hartley Patterson Image

John Atack Image

Andrea 'i-Betty' Garner Image

In reader comments, Missionary Kid posted:
Here's another reminder for those who want to see Steve Hassan in L.A. on Saturday: Combating Cult Mind Control, An evening with cult expert Steven Hassan, Saturday, Aug. 8 at 8 p.m. at CFI-L.A.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:44 am

Reader comment by i-Betty on the London evening with Tony:
Firstly a little bit of the back story. Around a month ago I began slowly contacting Bunkerites using Secret Squirrel means, then Misha (original London Anon) helped me find a pub (he insisted it be older than the Declaration of Independence for which I apologise!) just a short walk from Conway Hall. As I began to make a list of who was coming it became apparent that we might be about to achieve the largest gathering of Bunkerites possibly ever.

A week beforehand as Graham and I did a count-up we stood at 18. The day before the event I received 9 more confirmations, and there were 6 complete and lovely surprises waiting for us at Conway Hall; and that was only the ones who were happy to come up and introduce themselves. I make that 33 Bunkerites in one room, not including Tony and Sweeney, both of whom have been known to post here on occasion. I badly want us to have the bragging rights, but do please correct me if there were more Bunkerites at any of the other book tour events (but break it to me gently).

I first wanted to say that the one great disappointment of the day for me was that Once_Born couldn't make it. He is someone I respect and like so much and I would have loved to meet him. He does more than you'd know behind the scenes.

Now on to who was there. Mark is my friend, and warmer, funnier and more gloriously and Englishly eccentric than anyone else I know, and I genuinely love him. He and I met first and those who were coming with us to Queen Victoria Street soon joined us. So Sam, John McGhee, Martin Padfield, Karl, Mark and I made our way to London's Ideal Org to meet up with author of "The Complex", John Duignan who I wish you could all meet because he's a beautiful, gentle soul with the joyful sense of humour of a kid.

Security had already spotted Duignan and every single door was locked, front and back. They weren't even letting in the Eastern European couple who were banging on the door with their suitcases.

I'm going to need to split the pictures up into 2 posts (yesterday and today) but the ones you see below show Mark Kloss wearing his OTVIII bracelet while filming us from behind the front door on his mobile phone (cell). You can also see our favourite pictures of all, demonstrating huge fail on the frosted glass tech: utterly empty course rooms. Sam managed to hold her camera up to a tiny gap in the frosting and took 3 really clear pictures. Sam and John wore brilliant t-shirts she'd knocked up the day before. One other picture which is cropped slightly oddly is the top half of my face next to the sign by the front door, and if you look you will see John Duignan reflected in it :) Another picture taken through the front door shows a beefed up security guard, the reflected face of a customer who was refused entry, and you can just make out Mark and Karl reflected in his jacket!
I've just checked the website and it says, very clearly: "Our doors are open. Our help is yours.". Nope. The police were called - of course they were - but as we had done nothing wrong, and the Police Sergeant came from a little Irish town not far from McGhee's home, they let us go on our way.

At 5:30 we arrived at Ye OIde Mitre pub - http://yeoldemitreholborn.co.u... - which is tucked down a narrow alleyway in Hatton Garden, the diamond district. The first person I saw was Jon Atack and as I went over to hug him a tall man stood up and ninja hugged me: it was Tony! I had told him where we would all be meeting for pre-drinks but I didn't tell anyone else in case he couldn't join us. To say we were thrilled is an understatement. For future reference for those who are considering attending upcoming book tour events, he is approachable, funny, interested in everyone, and very, very nice. You notice I didn't say he is handsome because that would be highly inappropriate considering his beautiful wife was also there (see the brilliant photo of Arielle and our Graham - semi-surreptitiously hiding behind Miss Lovely - who both gave me permission to share the picture). I already knew Graham pretty well from email correspondence but what a true gentleman he is, and what a pleasure it was to spend time with him. I really can't wait to get together with him again soon.

I want to tell you the story of the tie! I intended to buy Tony something from John Lobb but Eivol Ekdal got in there before me and actually owned the day in terms of the gifts he'd bought for Tony. So last week he and I put our heads together and decided I should go for a really special, very English brand of ties by Gieves and Hawkes who have been making exceptional clothing for men (and the Royal family) since 1771. I knew I wouldn't have time to go to Saville Row yesterday so Eivol actually went to [somewhere else where they are sold] and videoed every single tie in the shop, emailed the video to me while I was having a pedicure, helped me choose our favourite (I had Tony's blue shirt in mind so it had to be red), and bought it on my behalf until I could give him the money Oh, so I have to finish telling you about the tie. It was hot in London yesterday. Tony was wearing his blue shirt, open-necked. He so sweetly agreed to wear the tie on stage but I think I nearly caused his premature demise from heat-stroke under those stage lights! Fortunately for us all, he lives.

Several others had arrived before us and more and more people began filtering in until there was no room left inside and newcomers were relegated to the courtyard garden! All the usual SP suspects were there of course (Pete, Hartley, Martin and many other English and Irish SPs), several of whom already knew Tony, so there were lots of hugs and manly handshakes, and a lot of laughter.

RBE was someone else I was really looking forward to meeting. What a lovely, sweet and super-intelligent guy he is. $cnmonkeynut$ and his friend were so much fun. It was a highlight to meet you all. The funniest +1 was Eivol Ekdal's friend who managed to be everywhere! He had me in stitches throughout the night :D

Newiga is an angel, and she looks like one, too. She came one of the furthest distances with her equally beautiful sister, and all I can say about them is that they were lovely. It must have been so daunting but they threw themselves into the group and (secretly) we all fell in love with them. Newiga bought me a Moomin mug - thank you! I grew up reading the Moomins and it was the nicest surprise :)

Interested is someone else who showed great courage in coming alone, and thank goodness she did or we'd never have experienced her baking! Phenomenal cookies and a really lovely lady. If anyone can get that secret family recipe out of her I'm prepared to pay a pretty high reward.
There were so many other Bunkerites there who it was an absolute honour to meet but I forgot to ask permission to mention them here, so I think I ought not to risk it. I'm certain they will say if they want to. Every one of them was lovely. I've never had as many hugs as I did last night and I can't wait to see many of them again.

When we arrived at Conway Hall we were very quickly greeted by Bunkerites old and new who had been unable to get to the Mitre. Ella Snowfury was one of the first people who came up to introduce herself; she had only come out of lurk mode that very day! I think she's going to have a lot to contribute to the Bunker :) Misha is an actor and he has A VERY BIG VOICE so he did what he's famous for and stood outside the entrance to Conway Hall to do an old school Music Hall introduction to Tony, John Sweeney, Miss Lovely...and the guy can recite every Axiom and policy letter going back years and wove some of the classics into his performance. I think some of the Hall's members thought he was part of the entertainment, and he kind of was; where else would you get a professional actor ushering an audience in to the theatre with a bellowed and beautifully-spoken rendition of The Way to Happiness?!

By the time we made it into the hall most of the seats were taken (livid!) so Pete, Mark, Ella and I ended up squeezing in right at the back but we could see and hear perfectly clearly. I won't write anything about the brilliant evening the guys put on for us because you were able to watch for yourselves and others have written reports already.
I need to say that my most embarrassing moment of the evening was finding Tony in a back room during the after-party and whispering in his ear: "I'm beyond mortified to ask you this, but I have no choice. Will you please come outside and take a selfie with me for the Bunker?". He only looked startled for a second before gamely coming outside and putting up with my many and varied blurred attempts before we managed to get one we both liked. I really have no idea why my hands were shaking :)

This has ended up being so much longer than I intended and is probably littered with typos but we had a really late night when we went back to Sam's and I'm running on (very happy) fumes. I'll finish off by saying that a great many of us spoke about meeting up again soon, this time as friends. It was that sort of night. Existing friendships were cemented and new friendships were made.

Thank you all for making the evening so wonderful, and thank you, Tony. You're everything I hoped you would be :)

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:12 pm

Um, about that story claiming Will Smith got a ‘refund’ from his broke-ass shuttered school… August 6, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/06/um-abo ... more-24666
1. Will Smith forgave the loan to the school. He didn't get the loan repaid.
2. Chris Shelton Takes Down Scientology, Part II, another insightful presentation

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:49 pm

How Scientology sets up its members to find themselves helpless in court, August 7, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/07/how-sc ... more-24690

Ann Ashley couldn't get a refund in small claims court for Purification Rundown courses she didn't take, but she DID get the one-sided contracts presented in court. Now critics can point out the contradiction with the IRS agreement, and with Hubbard "doctrine" about CoS being willing to refund.

This now makes the contracts safe for nervous media to publish and criticize, since they are publicly available, proven court documents.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:17 pm

Don Carlo wrote:How Scientology sets up its members to find themselves helpless in court, August 7, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/07/how-sc ... more-24690

Ann Ashley couldn't get a refund in small claims court for Purification Rundown courses she didn't take, but she DID get the one-sided contracts presented in court. Now critics can point out the contradiction with the IRS agreement, and with Hubbard "doctrine" about CoS being willing to refund.

This now makes the contracts safe for nervous media to publish and criticize, since they are publicly available, proven court documents.
If this matter gets to court again, I think it would be worthwhile for the plaintiff to point out that once signed, all the copies
of those contracts quickly disappear into what Scientology calls 'valdocs' (valuable document storage), and that the individual
who signed them does not get a copy. This may not change the outcome of the proceedings but it does point out a, how
shall I put this, squirrely business practice.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:27 pm

Why is the press so timid about outing Scientology’s many front groups? August 8, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/08/why-is ... more-24701

1. The press is often too worried or lazy to spend a minute confirming that CoS fronts are truly front groups.
2. Steve Hassan at the Steve Allen theater today to talk about the latest release of his book, Combatting Mind Control.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:03 am

Why no one should ever believe anything said by Scientology Sea Org or staff members, August 9, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/09/why-no ... more-24725

Jeffrey Augustine expertly explains how CoS staff members promise perfect health and extraordinary abilities, while making you sign disclaimers saying all conflicts go through one-sided CoS church arbitration, and that nobody promised you anything.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:51 pm

EXCLUSIVE: Tom Cruise Scientology video shows the actor praising the church — in Spanish! August 10, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/10/exclus ... n-spanish/
At the 2004 Madrid, Spain event, Shelley, a year before her disappearance, sitting between her husband David Miscavige and his assistant / mistress? Lou Henley-Smith Stuckenbrock:

A decade later, the Madrid org is empty: Image

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:24 pm

Scientology’s front group that targets kids gets cover from a Swiss politician: News report, August 11, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/11/scient ... ws-report/

1. CoS workers distribute Narconon literature under cover of a Swiss anti-drug group.
2. Karen de la Carriere video tells more about her ex-husband, president of Church of Sci Int'l, Heber Jentzsch.

Return to “Media Reports”