cult membership?

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
GreatSunJester

cult membership?

Post by GreatSunJester » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:04 pm

Does the cult actually recruit new members anymore, or are they only dependent upon their current members and what children they have?
In Search of... a new sig!

spacecootie

Re: cult membership?

Post by spacecootie » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:40 pm

Look around the site. It appears most Americans, Brits and other people from Western nations are well aware of Xenu and run like hell, but there are still body routers and stress test tables set up by local orgs and missions, and the test center on Hollywood Boulevard. They've also infiltrated other groups, like Nation of Islam.

I've read that most current recruits arriving at Flag are from the former Soviet bloc countries in eastern Europe, where information about the cult may be harder to obtain.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:56 am

As long as the people in the organization follow Hubbard's directives to the letter the organization will recruit (disseminate). Until the organization collapses in a heap they will continue to do it.

Those who are assigned to do dissemination and recruitment and fail, or even underachieve, will be punished for being unproductive.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:10 am

1. Sea Org members can't reproduce, and regular CoS staff mostly can't afford the time or money to have children without outside support.
2."Upstat" 1st generation public members* who pay for Scientology but aren't staff, have careers like chiropractors or founding a successful business. They can afford children (2nd generation) but CoS soaks Mom and Dad for so much money that the 2nd generation may not get a college education or financial help.

3. The 2nd generation either depend on Mom or Dad to hire them, or have low-wage real world jobs. (If they join staff or Sea Org, see point # 1.) They are shut out of many good paying jobs that require a college degree.

4. If the 1st generation dies and has ANY money left for an inheritance, Sea Org and ordinary staff intensely pressure the 2nd generation to donate it.

5. Like many young people, 2nd generation members can't afford to "try" to have children until they are over 35, and some can't get pregnant. Fertility treatments or adoption are expensive in the US. So the struggling 2nd generation has trouble producing a 3rd generation in Scientology.

Would a 3rd generation with a smart phone and Google expertise, even stay in? They go to orgs and see "boring old members" (I'm old so I can say this) and old or foreign-raised staff.

So, Scientology won't increase through reproduction.

* 1st generation public members who aren't "upstat" and have low or unreliable incomes are also less likely to have children.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:36 am

2nd generation and 3rd generation members are treated as though they are already Scientologists and therefore do not need dissemination nor indoctrination. So the orgs omit, 1. finding a ruin and promising that Scientology can handle it, 2. Love bombing, 3. Low cost introductory courses or services that induce a highly euphoric hypnotic trance state that convinces the entrant that Scientology promises can be achieved. Adherents of Scientology don't know that basic services are designed to induce a euphoric hypnotic trance state and they would unequivocally deny that basic services have that effect. Nevertheless when they omit those steps, and they do, the 2nd and 3rd generation tend to distance themselves from the organization, if they don't actually walk away from it.

Scientology will go the way of the Shakers though it may take longer.
Last edited by Wieber on Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:00 am

Sea Org / staff do push a love bombing (and hard sell if love bombing fails) onto 2nd and 3rd generation 16 year olds - "you're so intelligent and special, you MUST help us save the planet"
But if the teens watched their older relatives or friends get burned out, divorced, and abused in Sea Org, they may be wise enough to say no.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:15 pm

Shortage of "theta" mates is another obstacle to the 2nd and 3rd generation reproducing. 20 and 30-year old Scientologist men are rare compared to young fervent Scientologist women. This happens in many high-maintenance religions - Mormonism, Orthodox Judaism, etc.
Mixed marriages like Scientologist Elisabeth Moss and skeptic Fred Armisen, often fail and thus fail to reproduce. Beautiful young Cathriona White couldn't find a Scientologist husband to LOVE her, so she fake-married a Scientologist for a green card. No babies there. Jim Carrey was rightfully wary of her husband-hungry-plus-Scientology-devoted mind-set.

Even for "high-stat" Scientologist men, it's a small dating pool. Tom Cruise's 2nd (Nicole Kidman) and 3rd (Katie Holmes) marriages were from outside Scientology, with divorces following. Tom Cruise (and Sea Org "helpers") aren't finding "high-stat" wife number 4 among the Scientology women yet.

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:56 pm

Also, the IRS REQUIRES that the cult disseminate to outsiders (even though they always fail) in order to keep their religious tax exemption.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 pm

Scientology doesn't just want all its members' money. It wants all their time, too. For members of this board it's fairly well known that Scientoology staff members are worked 12 to 15 hours a day, seven days a week. That's the sea org schedule but it is almost as taxing in the non sea org orgs.

A public person is pressured to be in the org a lot, too. If a public person is on a course or getting auditing they are in the org doing that during all the time they are not working at their job. If they are not taking a service they are expected to volunteer their time working in the org, or working for the OT committee. The OT committee is a mirror org that public people are expected to participate in. The OT committee org has seven divisions, an ED, posts, stats, conditions, everything the official org has except for pay. Oh, wait, that means there's actually no difference.

There is a statistic called bodies in the shop. The org will do anything it can to get their public people into the org. When they come in the org gets to take their money, too. If a public person has no reason to go into the org, there is always calling them in to twin with students taking courses. That frees up other students to get more student points and speed up the paid completions.

The thing is Scientology is so busy and so intent on producing statistics that no one really has time to produce babies. Actually I should say, hardly anyone has the time. Another thing with Scientology is that babies are more or less looked on as dev-t (developed and unnecessary traffic) until they're old enough to do work for the org or join sea org.
Doris Lessing

AnonyMary

Post by AnonyMary » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:43 am

GreatSunJester wrote:Does the cult actually recruit new members anymore, or are they only dependent upon their current members and what children they have?
Good question. From what I am hearing, they are recruiting new members as mandated, but in smaller numbers. I believe because its become more difficult because more people know to beware of it. There will always be people seeking answers to life who will get sucked in as so many of us exes have. Scientology staff are indoctrinated to do their jobs, and fear consequences if they don't get them done. So in a sense, it's a well oiled machine based on long time staff getting newer staff to do their jobs, getting new people in is a priority and it's being worked on every day by those new or older staff, managed and supervised by their seniors. Accountable ever week for what they produced.

New people come in, are body-routed in, are FSM'd and then are railroaded through the machine, told what they want to hear - that Scientology has the answers, and thus they step on the bridge to indoctrination. More follow them ever day. One to some but not like before in the old days.

What is different I think is the length of time they stay in. I think newer people leave the church more frequently, after a few courses, constant calls, rigid schedules they are reluctant to commit to, and extreme reg and sales pressure early on. Especially the IAS coming from one end, book and tape sales from several sources, as well as multiple regs from div 6 on up to Flag trying to get their money. Its much worse than when I was in. Its only gotten more worse. I pray for these people getting sucked in. I really do.
Mary McConnell, is my nom de plume. I help expose the Narconon scams, help victims and document the fraud. Google Narconon scam.
What is Scientology all about? Visit 'Reaching For The Tipping Point'
http://www.forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:54 pm

I know someone who took a vacation in Los Angeles in the summer this year. When they got back they were telling about all the sights they say in Los Angeles: The Hollywood sign, Grumman's Chinese, stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I asked, "Did you see Big Blue?"

"What's big blue?"

"Scientology."

"Yes! There were people in the street asking me to come in for a personality test."
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”