Jeffrey Tambor — Definitely Out

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Wieber

Jeffrey Tambor — Definitely Out

Post by Wieber » Thu May 18, 2017 8:39 pm

I knew Jeffrey Tambor had been involved in Scientology and for a long time I wasn't sure whether he had left it or not.

Now he has published a book, Are You Anybody?, and in it he confirms his exit from Scientology.

I hope his book does very well.

And Jeffrey, though belated, this is for you:

:dancing7up:
Woot!
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Demented Founder

Re: Jeffrey Tambor — Definitely Out

Post by Demented Founder » Mon May 22, 2017 1:10 pm

I do not know who Tambor is. Is he an actor or a writer?
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"
L. Ron Hubbard, Mi Vida Secreta.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon May 22, 2017 11:42 pm

Doris Lessing

SalomeComey

Post by SalomeComey » Wed May 24, 2017 6:21 am

Scary how many talented people have been sucked into this cult. Good to hear he's out.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat May 27, 2017 12:39 am

I bought his book. I've read chapter 1. Then I read through the table of contents. There is a chapter titled, Pick Up the Cans. It took some resistance to keep from skipping right to it. I get the impression Scientology will be a small part of this book.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue May 30, 2017 1:48 am

I haven't reached Jeffrey Tambor's Scientology story yet, but so far I am finding his book to be quite inspirational.

Good job, Mr. Tambor.

I'll have more to say when I've read what he has to say about the cult.
Doris Lessing

BawstonStrong

Post by BawstonStrong » Tue May 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi Jeffery,

My name is Courtney, I'm from Boston. You're currently out of that "religion," could you give me more info about Scientology and what's true and what's not. My email is bostongirl53@icloud.com

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:46 am

Wieber, I don't want to read the whole book. Can you let us know, in a nutshell, what his feelings about Scientology are? Thanks!
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:49 pm

Yes, when I get there. His book is not in chronological order. His Scientology stuff is about 3/4 of the way into the book and I do not go through books quickly.

Jeffrey Tambor has not had an easy time of things in his life. I can tell you that much.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:11 pm

AS it seems Are You Anybody? is not in chronological order I skipped ahead and read the chapter titled Squeeze the Cans. Jeffrey Tambor summarizes his two year involvement in Scientology over ten pages. (Just for comparison my Scientology story takes up about 400 pages.) Maybe, now that he's written his memoir he will hopefully get the writing bug and produce a book that is all about his journey through Scientology.

Though short I found his account quite funny. He references dealings with Milton Katselas that must be in the section I skipped. I can't comment on that.

When he first started with Scientology he loved it. From his narrative I conclude the staff members of the Celebrity Centre were giving him a major love bombing. I get that as things went on the sea org staff members progressively weirded him out. As to his feelings for them now I will summarize the ending of the chapter.

The Celebrity Centre senior ethics officer called Tambor into his office for an interview. The purpose was to handle Tambor on his diminished presence at the Celebrity Centre taking Scientology services. The ethics officer said to him, "We think you are being influenced by an SP." In the book Tambor then explains what that is. The ethics officer indicated that the suspected SP was Tambor's wife, Kasia.

The following is condensed. For the full version, read the book.
In [i]Are You Anybody?[/i] Jeffrey Tambor wrote:
Kasia was the reason I was functioning in life.

"We think you should disconnect from her."

There was a pause that would have made Harold Pinter stand up and take notice, and then I said, "Guess what line you just crossed?"

"Sir?"

"I'm out."

"Sir?"

I stood up and walked out, slamming the door behind me. I was never going back. (You guys can stop calling me now. I'm good.)

No hard feelings.
Doris Lessing

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:28 am

Good for him. Glad he's out.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:52 am

I thought of a passage I liked in Jeffrey Tambor's book that I think you might like.
In Are You Anybody, Jeffrey Tambor wrote:. . . I was asked to audition for the voice of L. Ron for various training films, and I agreed. Indeed, I was flattered. I found myself driving an hour and a half through the desert to Hemet, California, where Scientology HQ is located. I was led to a recording studio. I sat at my high stool in the studio with my scripts on a music stand in front of me and tested the mike.

"One, two, three. Testing. Testing. Jeffrey Tambor, testing for rhe voice of L. Ron Hubbard—"

And that's when it hit me. What the fuck am I doing? Where the fuck am I?

I thought of my dad saying when Larry and I were kids, "At the end of the day you have your integrity. Remember, keep your nose clean."

I proceeded to "boot" the audition. I made his voice a little higher and just a tad whiny. And then very growly and orotund. I saw the heads turning toward on another in the control room. They asked for another take. I did it again, this time with just a slight basso temolo—think, Boris Godunove meets Dianetics. I was very nervous about this obvious tanking, but I didn't want to be the voice of anybody other than myself, thank you very much.
This brings to mind the first event I attended after going back into Scientology. I wasn't an IAS event but David Miscavige hosted it. As part of the event the DVD we watched played what we were told was an excerpt from from one of L. Ron Hubbard's lectures. I looked around and everyone was listening raptly. (looking back I think the others there had gone into a trance state as they listened.) I thought it was someone else other than L. Ron Hubbard speaking. I had listened to many of his lectures before my hiatus and I knew that voice. The others there seemed to recognize it as him and I thought maybe it was the recording quality of the original tape. Now that I read Jeffrey Tambor's story, I'm thinking maybe the recording we heard wasn't L. Ron Hubbard. Maybe it was an actor saying things L. Ron Hubbard never said.

It doesn't matter to me now. Whether what we heard was the real L. Ron Hubbard or some actor adding another layer of lies to Scientology, I'm never going back. But it might matter to some.

I don't want to end this with that.

Jeffrey Tambor's book is very enjoyable, even though most of it isn't about Scientology at all. I highly recommend it and I think you would enjoy reading it. Atta boy, Jeffrey!
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”