What Did You Think You Were Joining?

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Wieber

What Did You Think You Were Joining?

Post by Wieber » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:24 am

At a recent maiden voyage IAS event, related in Tony Ortega's Underground Bunker, with regard to IAS membership, David Miscavige is quoted as saying, “What did you think you were joining? The local bowling league?”

Having thought about that I have concluded that Miscavige has used a straw man argument here, with his reference to the local bowling league.

For a definition and discussion of the straw man argument click here.

In my view, Scientology is a bait-and-switch religion. I think that no one who joins expects it to be a local bowling league. On the other hand when they do get involved the do so with the expectation of personal improvement. The first item on the agenda after contact and making the prospective new member comfortable with the Scientologist™ making contact is to establish what is ruining the person's life. This is followed by telling them Scientology can handle the ruin and selling them a Scientology course, or failing that a Scientology book.

There are so many enticement promises made to prospective members, staff members, sea org staff members, and purchasers of services that David Miscavige issued a directive that only promises made in writing by L. Ron Hubbard would be honored with the senior police of "We deliver what we promise."

What did you think you were joining? Well, not the bowling league, but I'll tell you the inverse. This is what I thought I was not joining: An organization that would reduce me to abject poverty, treat me like a "degraded piece of shit™," work me 80 to 100 hours a week for so little remuneration I could not afford to eat most days, was evicted from where I lived twice, wore holes in my shoes and could not replace them, and organization that took all my money and possessions, and when I had run out of energy and had nothing left, routed me off staff, and then spied on me for years afterward.

I'm glad I'm alive. I personally know three people who were involved in Scientology who did not survive it. I venture to guess they did not think they were joining for that.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Demented Founder

Re: What Did You Think You Were Joining?

Post by Demented Founder » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:16 pm

Looking back, I thought I was joining a congregation of psychologists (auditors) whose goal is to cure a wide variety of illnesses. I didn't believe in the theta crap, Hubbard was not a religious leader to me, but I saw him as a scientist. I joined Sea Org because the recruiters promised me to put me on a fast track to the NED level. That didn't happen so I left SO. But even after my departure I believed in Dianetics.
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"
L. Ron Hubbard, Mi Vida Secreta.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”