Need help with list of 456 Apollo survivors and their fate

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Karen#1

Re: Need help with list of 446 Apollo survivors and their fate

Post by Karen#1 » Fri May 27, 2016 5:48 am

A long time ago, in the 1970s, 300-400 (probably well over 1200 as there were comings and goings) lived on a ship in the Mediterranean with L Ron Hubbard. Eventually, kicked out of several ports, and the Apollo stoned (literally) by the natives in Madeira, the ship crossed the Atlantic to move to the US. We crossed the Atlantic with stealth. All lights were switched off at night so the ship could not be seen. Before we arrived at Charleston, South Carolina, the Guardian's Office telexed to inform that the US Government were waiting on the dock for Hubbard. The Apollo immediately diverted to the Caribbean where it sailed for about 1 year before the US landing at Daytona.

This is the exact quote from author Lawrence Wright who's fact checking was impeccable, and the book went through sets of lawyers and has never been challenged in the law courts or had ANY legal action, in spite of threats for 3 years prior to publication ::::::
Quote from GOING Clear, the book.:
Just as the ship was approaching the port (Charleston) the Guardian's office alerted Mary Sue that agents from US Customs, Immigration, Coast Guard, DEA and US Marshalls were waiting for the Apollo to dock.=, plus 180 IRS agents waiting to impound the ship....Hubbard was just 5 miles offshore, but he suddenly broadcasted a new course over the radio~~ due north for Halifax, Nova Scotia and then turned sharply south and headed for the Bahamas.
Going Clear the Book. Page 130.
https://www.amazon.com/Going-Clear.../dp/B00A9ET54E

We joined this group "to make the world a better place" Bright eyed and bushy tailed we believed in it all.
40 years later Janis Gillham Grady, original messenger in her Las Vegas Birthday parties, re-unites us and along with some 120 others who survived it all. People flew in from other Countries and different states. At least 50 were Ex Apollo crew. Not everyone was in the same place at the same time to get into these shots.

Picture #1 Apollo Women
Jill Gleason Sue Rebaj Sandy Holeman Karen de Karen De La Carriere Jill Steinberg Terri Gamboa Candy Swanson Janis Gillham Grady Liz Gablehouse,
Loy Young.

Picture #2 Apollo Men
Image\
Kerry Gleason. Bob Young Malcolm Nieman Ian Waxler
Dan Holeman, Bill Franks Amos Jessup Jim Dincalci Leon Steinberg

Picture #3 and #4 The ship we lived on

Last edited by Karen#1 on Fri May 27, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Carlo

Re: Need help with list of 447 Apollo survivors and their fate

Post by Don Carlo » Fri May 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Added Dan Holeman from the above photo and his artist website for Daniel B. Holeman, http://www.awakenvisions.com/AboutDaniel.html

cakemaker

Re: Need help with list of 447 Apollo survivors and their fate

Post by cakemaker » Tue May 31, 2016 7:02 am

What great pictures!
Thank you Karen.
I hope some of the stories and reminisces are available someday.

Don Carlo

Re: Need help with list of 449 Apollo survivors and their fate

Post by Don Carlo » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:37 pm

Added Jill Steinberg and Sue Rebaj, getting the headcount to 449. Additions and corrections are still very welcome.

Don Carlo

Re: Need help with list of 451 Apollo survivors and their fate

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:10 am

Added John D. Danilovich and his sister Jeanne Danilovich Franks Bogvad Sonenfild or Sonnenfeld, bringing the total to 451 on page 1 of this thread.

Don Carlo

Need help with list of 452 Apollo survivors and their fate

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Added Neville Jory (about 1940 - 2007), the stepfather of Lois Jory Reisdorf, bringing the total to 452 on page 1 of this thread.
Neville was a student on the Apollo, not a crew member, but the relationships, proximity to LRH, and peculiarity of the Apollo experience, lead me to include students as "survivors."

Don Carlo

Re: Need help with list of 453 Apollo survivors and their fate

Post by Don Carlo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:57 am

Added Trey Lotz, bringing the total to 453 on page 1 of this thread. Trey was a student on the Apollo, not a crew member, but the relationships, proximity to LRH, and peculiarity of the Apollo experience, lead me to include students as "survivors."

WhiteLight

Post by WhiteLight » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:06 pm

'Dale Wilson' and 'John Wilson' may be the same person. Certainly John Wilson is John David Wilson, known as David Wilson, worked at Gold until fitness boarded out of the SO in 1984. Then founded a Los Angeles lighting design company, and has since donated millions to the IAS. Married to Bonita Wilson.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks, Whitelight1. I have added this Wilson info and noted you as the source.

Shipmate

Post by Shipmate » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:19 am

Hi, There are a few names that I might be able to help with.

Tony Strawn - I'm only mentioning Tony because I knew him back then and I looked him up on the department of corrections web sight. They listed his status as deceased. Just an F.Y.I.

Des McMillian? - Des was the Chief Electrician on the Apollo for several years. At the end of 74 the Apollo crew were all getting TB tests and it was suspected that Des had active Tuberculosis. He was sent back to New Zealand. He was a middle aged man or maybe older so would be up in years now. I never heard anything more about him.

Pat McCullough? - Pat was Apollo crew and worked as a deck hand, climbed in rank, then back down again. He was on the ship for maybe 2-3 years and then went back to the States. I heard that he died in 2000 from cancer. They had a service for him at LACC. Doing some rough math he would have been maybe 50 or a little younger.

Doug McCullough - A crew member that isn't on the list is Pat's younger brother Doug, so here is one more for you. He was an engineer on both the Athena and Apollo. He was let go at the same time as Des for having active tuberculosis. Never heard about him after that. More rough math would make him in his early 60s.

Stella King - She is listed as Died aboard ship which is accurate, only it was the Athena while it was stationed in Denmark. Just an F.Y.I.

Dave Murphy? - He was Chief Engineer on the Apollo for, well, forever. I saw him around 1980 or so. He was out and doing fine, nothing more recent.

John Murphy? Never heard of him, maybe a confusion with Dave's name?

Blackburn Smith? - I never met the man but I do remember after we left Madeira and crossed the Pond, we went to Bermuda and there was concern that he might tell the authorities who we were. He lived on Bermuda. As it turned out he didn't give us away.

Well, enough for now. I'll go through the list again and see if I can come up with more. I did see that we're interested in the Athena crew as well, so I'll see if I can come up with them as well.

Shipmate

Shipmate

Post by Shipmate » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:16 pm

I have 3 more names for you, all from the Athena in 68 - 69.

Stan Dronsica - American, maybe 30 years old then, about 78 now. He was the boson. I never heard about him after that.

Murray Chopping - Not sure where he was from, southern hemisphere. So. Africa, Australia, New Zealand. He was an engineer and in his 20s at the time. No record after that.

Travis Harris - South African, in his 20s. Another engineer. I recall a long time ago that he had some sort of reunion in South Africa. My impression was that he was out but that's not for sure. No other info on him.

Shipmate

Don Carlo

Need help with list of 456 Apollo survivors and their fate

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:47 am

Thanks a heap. I have add them. "Stan Dronsica" + "Scientology" has no Google hits. If fact "Stan Dronsica" alone gets no hits- is there any other spelling of his name?
Murray Chopping + Scientology has several hits, like " ex CO UK -Murray Chopping" "got an SP declare." Travis Harris + Scientology search hits only say "Travis Harris became psychotic while auditing on the Apollo in 1974."

Don Carlo

Re: Need help with list of 456 Apollo survivors and their fate

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:44 am

Thanks for your earlier post, Shipmate. I deleted the part you asked me to delete.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:17 pm

I do not think that the US authorities were waiting for Apollo to dock to search it. The US Coast Guard have the authority to board a ship once it enters the US territorial waters, they do not have to wait for it to dock. The cause of sudden changes in the Apollo routs was Hubbard's paranoia.
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"
L. Ron Hubbard, Mi Vida Secreta.

Shipmate

Post by Shipmate » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:46 am

Hi Don, I tried a few other spellings for Stan and came up empty.

I did find Travers's autobiography on line. It's an interesting read but maybe a little exaggerated, he thinks very highly of himself. I think with a few pitchers of beer he and I could have a lively conversation about his memories from that time. But, we're both a couple of old farts, and really who cares now? I put the address below.
https://backincomm.wordpress.com/2014/1 ... cn-the-so/

There is also one more thing I'd like to say about Travers which is the use of the word "psychotic". The only person who actually went psychotic that I knew was Bruce Welsh who was locked in a small dorm called Cattlemen's, and was ripping the paneling off the walls with his fingers. I do remember though, what a huge hurry the cult was in to make it's self right and the little guy wrong for opposing it. HE'S A PSYCHOTIC SP, HOW DARE HE REFUSE AN LRH ORDER TO CLEAN THE TOILET WITH HIS TONGUE! Oh well, it does sound like he had a full life after the Apollo, no matter what happened back then.

Thank you for deleting that post. After all these years I'm surprised at how fast I can fly into the past. I'm a very mild mannered person, maybe I haven't had the Engram properly audited out? Ha! So thanks for that.

It's interesting to see where people ended up, from the tragedy of Tony's life to the tough life Travers had. And then all of these early deaths, I think the average life expectancy of a man is roughly 80. It seems that there are quite a few who died in their 50s or even earlier. You know, if someone had the time and money to do a head count, a good argument could be made that SCN is bad for your health.

I haven't come up with anymore names but will dig into some we have and see if I can find them.

Hi Demented, I'm inclined to agree with you. In the "Orders of the Day", Hubbard used to fabricate all kinds of BS about make believe enemies and threats that didn't exist. I think a lot of it was to create a sense of urgency to justify working us like dogs, and the rest was to create an us versus them mentality. We were after all, there to save the planet! The next question would have been, who would save it from us!

Shipmate

Return to “Opinions & Debate”