Upcoming copyright extension issue affects CoS, too

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Don Carlo

Upcoming copyright extension issue affects CoS, too

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:03 pm

If Congress sticks with the life + 70 years copyright law, Disney will soon start to lose copyrights over its many properties. Books and films created in the 1920's can come into the public domain, and in another ten years books and films from the 1930's, and so on. Will Congress extend the law to life + 90 years? Let's hope not, because the Church of Scientology (CoS) faces copyright loss in about 39 years. There's not presently a Scientologist-ally in Congress like Sonny Bono, who in 1998 won the battle to extend copyright from life + 50 to life + 70 years. But Disney, Marvel Comics, DC Comics, and others will likely lobby hard to extend their copyright monopolies.

Hubbard died in 1986, and 1986+70=2056, and he is supposedly "Source" with no later alterations considered "Tech." Therefore, a baby born this year to a Scientologist couple will see the loss of key Scientology book copyrights before the age of 40. Probably Scientology will be a dim memory to all but a few bitter-enders, and I would be VERY old by then. But I would enjoy seeing the CoS copyrights expire.

Please read We'll Probably Never Free Mickey, But That's Beside the Point, Jan. 19, 2016, published by Electronic Frontier Foundation, https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/01/w ... side-point

Wieber

Re: Upcoming copyright extension issue affects CoS, too

Post by Wieber » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Before the copyright extension to life + 70, comic book companies, book franchises and families of dead movie stars trademarked the names and likenesses of their characters and deceased movie stars. Trademarks can be renewed indefinitely, so long as they continue to be used. That's my understanding. The major entertainment companies, using that trademark strategy, which they have been doing, can maintain their ownership of their creations after their copyrights have expired.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:43 am

True about trademarks. Coca-Cola may keep its trademark forever. Perhaps CoS can keep its "Scientology" trademark into the far future. But any book or policy letter written by Hubbard cannot have all its words protected by trademark, even if the title and the words Scientology" or "Dianetics" are trademark-protected.

Perhaps the post-copyright-protection Dianetics book title in 2056 would be "The Basic book before Miscavige Altered It: the 1950 book."
Other idea: "The Book of Eights before Miscavige Altered it" for "Scientology 8-8008"

This gets around the endless life of trademarks.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:56 pm

The point is, Disney and the entertainment industry don't really need a copyright extension. I'm not sure about this but I have a suspicion that restoration of films counts as new work and can be copyrighted. I could be wrong about that, but I have purchased restored movies made before 1930 that should be in the public domain but which have copyright warnings all over them. That leads me to believe that restoration may be copyrighted. If that's not the case then the producers of restored movies are using scare tactics.

That leaves Scientology without any current allies in government to bring in new legislation to extend copyright, so their Hubbard works will have their copyrights expire. I read that Sony Bono wanted the copyright extension to go from lifetime +50 to lifetime + indefinite. Congress disagreed. If that story is true a further extension may be unlikely.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:54 pm

The mickey mouse film "The mad doctor" fell out of copyright somehow. They must have been mad.

Nevertheless for COS all their docs are ripped off on the internet and nobody is buying new ones so copyright issues might be moot.

Scientology

Post by Scientology » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:05 pm

The origin of Scientology
Might have some interesting features as the word first appeared in 1871, and then in 1901 and again in 1934 (Scientologie). I find it somewhat bizzare that the copy scientology owns the copyright. L Ron Hubbard added on thing to Scientology and it was the Psych-drugs who non of the original authors in Scientology toutched. L Ron Hubbard is a pioneer in introducing psych-drugs into cults labeled religion with paramilitary forces, and this is also the normo Hubbardism.

Hopefully the strong inteligence forces in scientology can assist in this matter. If intellicenge can be used sensible and intelligent and have a place in integrity to the matter. The copyright to ones name is interesting when it comes to Scientology and, the copycats know what they have stolen and are afraid of the same.

But yes Copyrights and integrity in scientology is an interesting topic, but L Ron Hubbards book i really don't know, a place in a underground might be the right thing.

Two of the most speaking Trademarks was hard to find. and the fact that the two almost similar images is two registration by the Spiritual Technology by Scientology might speak interest.

Original
Two different registrations by the same owner and almost the same image - might picture importance
Even having the image and doing an image search by google shows how little exposed they are.

Serial numbers 75497015, 74488000 Spiritual Technology by Scientology

RULE THE WORLD its what they say to me. Ruling and forming from point into tunnel-sight.

To hear Norman F. Starkey talking about david micavige and how he was planned to be hubbards successor is strange, but stranger with the trademarks and paperwork's .. I dont know if this is the truth but it seems to be a lot of things going on with the transfers of the copyrights and the trademarks. And Starkey have a strong interest in talking ....

"It is interesting to note that Miscavige and Starkey ADAMANTLY refuse to produce originals of the Hubbard will and copyright asset transfers, the very documents experts need to examine to prove that the signatures are not Hubbard's. You will also see the many mysterious circumstances surrounding the death of L Ron Hubbard in these statements. "

"Furthermore, David Miscavige's role in negotiating seven-figure settlements with members of the Hubbard family after LRH's death, and arranging for those family members to subsequently assign their various rights to the documents at issue herein, is directly relevant to the issues presented by the pending summary judgment motion. Indeed, testimony has been filed in other litigation that shortly before LRH's(L Ron Hubbard) death, David Miscavige allegedly said words to the effect of "IRS indictments are about to come down. The only thing that will save us now is if the old man dies." (b) Norman F. Starkey: Norman Starkey's deposition is relevant for a number of reasons. First, he was the executor of the Hubbard estate which is alleged to have succeeded to Hubbard's claimed copyrights prior to their ultimate transfer to the Church of Spiritual Technology. Thus, he is expected to have relevant and admissible evidence in connection with that very relevant and disputed factual area. Second, various copyright registration certificates indicate that he was one of the people (along with David Miscavige, Mary Sue Hubbard and Patricia Brice), who were personally involved in various of the copyright registrations that are directly in issue in connection with the pending motion for summary judgment. "
http://www.hiddenmysteries.org/themagaz ... bard.shtml

I Guess David Miscavige had Broeker to do something that made him not speaking out about what really happened here. But that this action was not stronger than it kept the paranoia of Miscavige alive as well as the 2 PI that followed Pat Broeker .. When the thetan prospect comes back and requires the copyright to his/her trademark that would be an interesting day. What would Miscavige say to the Reincarnated prospect about the copyright and the trademark - to the thetan fundamental.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”