One opened, more to come!
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Summer of the Picket continues at Newport Beach Narconon
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:46 pm 

Yes, folks, Roan and I continued this fabulous summer of picketing by Clambakers, by paying a visit to the Narconon facility in Newport Beach. We couldn't have had a more successful day.

So, here it is Sunday, 4th of July weekend, the sun is shining, super crowded, but somehow we magically found each other after parking, get our signs out, and cautiously make our way to the beach front property. To set scene, picture homes on a wide boardwalk which is divided into lanes for walking, biking, and skating, and then sand and ocean. There are literally thousands of people walking the full length of the 5 mile boardwalk.

Roan has big asz yellow sign on a stick that can be seen from far and wide. I had 2 signs which I carried. Once we got to the boardwalk, people sitting in their patios could read our signs, and as they watched us proceed to 1810 Oceanfront, they figured out pretty quick what was going on, and started cheering. Then, when we got to our destination, even some of the Narconon residents started laughing and cheering. Picture a 3 story beach house with a balcony on each floor, and residents sitting on the balcony. It looked more like a party house than a recovery center.

So, up and down the boardwalk we roam, with curious residents, waving, smiling, and giving encouragement. Some shook our hands. Some gave us water.

Pretty soon some handlers came out to tell us we can't picket, and Roan says, "Unh unh, this is public property, we can be here."

A short while later, we get a welcome visitor, "Dr. O" who has fought the Narconon facility there for years. She was convinced that the city council must have some dealings with someone in the facility, because inspite of the neighbors complaining, the facility was allowed to increase from 27 to 49 residents, and all with only 3 parking places! Needless to say she was very happy to see us, and said she'd go get some flyers, and would be right back to help us. So now there were 3 of us walking up and down, getting some quizzical looks, a few questions, and lots of encouragement. A couple of people said, "Hey, they're just trying to recover," to which we said, "Great, we encourage people to stay clean and sober."

After about 1.5 hours we wrapped it up and quietly slipped away, feeling pretty good. We were seen by 100s of people riding their bikes, skating, and walking. We passed out a few flyers. We even had residents come out ask us for flyers. A good day. Pictures coming soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:15 pm 

Great job you guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:43 pm 

Week 5 Mission Accomplished!

I'm so, so, so happy! People are getting out and voicing their dissent. This cannot and will not be ignored!

Did you take pics? If you have any to post, that would be awesome.

Again, thank you...I'm trying to take a month off from picketing, but if any week needs to be covered, let me know via PM.

-L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:08 am 

Photos:

Roan and Dr. O

The Glibster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:09 am 

Are they too big? I'll resize them if they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:15 am 

Glib and Roan -- way to go! Thanks for protesting! I was just logging on to check on Proflex and saw this -- this is great. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:23 am 

I'mglib and Roan deserve major props for their activism this weekend!! Keep up the awesome work and anyone who wishes to do something, there is NO better time to get started than the present!

R.I.P. Lisa, we will never forget you or stop speaking up for you.

Post subject: Re: Summer of the Picket continues at Newport Beach Narconon
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:50 am 

First off, thanks for picketing!!! It's genius to do it this weekend, when so many folks will be about. Now to my comments...

I'mglib wrote:
Then, when we got to our destination, even some of the Narconon residents started laughing and cheering.

How ironic, no? It seems odd that folks in NarCONon would be cheering since they're using Scn BS to supposedly help themselves off drugs. Why wouldn't they just leave if they knew it was BS, i.e. something to laugh at? :?

Quote:
So, up and down the boardwalk we roam, with curious residents, waving, smiling, and giving encouragement. Some shook our hands. Some gave us water.

That is so cool. Sometimes I love people. This is one of those times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:01 am 

Almondjoy, it was weird that they cheered, and at first I was confused. Then we realized these are just people who are probably doing court-ordered rehab, and figured doing it at the beach seemed like a good idea. They probably aren't interested in Scientology. Several of them approached us and asked for flyers, but the handlers just went and took them away and crumpled them up. So much for free speech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:13 am 

Oh, I see. I was wondering about that, about how they ended up in NarCONon, as opposed to NarcAnon. I guess folks who have court-ordered rehab can pick where they want to go. I suppose I'd pick the beach, too. ;)

I looked into the whole NarCONon vs. NarcAnon thing a while back and still I'm amazed at the Co$'s gall at using that nickname. Apparently, they snagged the nickname cuz NarAnon, the legit group, doesn't actually go by that name. It's not copyrighted, or whatever. To me, this is a HUGE red flag of a scam or else why wouldn't the Co$ just make up their own name? They're OBVIOUSLY just trying to confuse people who are desperate and foggy cuz of drug use and its ramifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:38 am 

sweet picket photos! Makes me so homesick :(

I'm gonna but my pimp arse sign tomarrow, can't wait for St. Louis! Pickets and White Castle! MMMmMMmM! :woohoo!:

http://jimjesus.com

(∃x∈S:φ(x))→ (∀x∈S:φ(x)) = Scientology logic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:43 am 

:D :D :D

Great job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:10 am 

Yes, two very Suppressive Persons brought a real load of entheta to the staff at the Newport Beach (Balboa) Narconon today! :D

Hundreds of beachgoers and boardwalk cruisers got a mini lesson in: what is Scientology, what is Narconon and www.xenu.net!

Being my first picket it was nice to have the wily vet, I'mglib (:wink:) there with me. I was a little unsure of things, but it could not have gone better. The neighbors were surprised and VERY GLAD to see us. None of them could hide the look of true gratitude on their faces, that we were there braving the crowds to very visibly protest what they must tolerate on a daily basis.

So there we were, the hundreds of boardwalkers reacting to us, the staff and patients watching it all and the staff looking PISSED! It’s hard enough to work with addicts under the best of circumstances... to be trying to do it with Scientology Tech must be hell, then.. to have to handle a bunch of squirrelly addicts at the beach with two glib protesters mucking about...! Well the staff had a real Hill 10 on their hands, no doubt. The addicts were REAL INTERESTED in the xenu.net website address they saw! hehehe

Various "levels" of staff came out to photograph us, culminating in one 40-50ish woman with long, gray-flecked blond hair who seemed to be the head honcho. She had a knowing look on her face, but did not confront us. Over time all the patients who had been hanging out on one of the three patios overlooking the beach had been shooed inside. Some of the addicts (earnestly) asked for our handouts; I’mglib happily obliged them, but the staff confiscated all flyers and after awhile no addicts were hanging out on the patios anymore. They were allowed outside, but only to go directly elsewhere (like in the water).

The two patios you see in the pictures, were full of addicts and staff when we got there and for the first half hour or so.

I definitely think it would be a good thing to back and picket this very same location again; but to all you So Cal critics: we really have to picket the main OC Org. before they move.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:54 pm 

Good work guys!

Please post your report to ARS as well. Maybe all this OCMB activity will get some of them out of their armchairs and onto the sidewalk.

http://www.newsfrombree.co.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:02 am 

Would you mind posting it for us? I'm not ARS-savvy. Many thanks. :)