Who will be the best Elron?

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
KMomma
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by KMomma » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:37 pm

I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman would be a great choice for Hubbard.

And, physically, David Spade comes to mind for DM.

pitbull
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by pitbull » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:00 pm

I would be happy to consider directing this vital piece.

The real question will ultimtately be what kind of budget can be
raised.

It would be good to have at least 10 million.

The real question is that there are just so many stories to tell.

How do you get it all in, in around 2 hours? I think that it
may be important to focus on a particular aspect of his life.

Then we have to determine how "sympathetic" we should be
with his character. Will he be portrayed as a egotistical megolomaniac
and evil SOB?

Or play up the Commedic Villany of it all?

Then should it end with sympathy for this tragic hero?
There's an old saying: when the going gets tough - pit bulls call a Scientologist."
-David Miscavige- 8 October, 1993
http://www.earthstation1.com/ThemeSongs/Branded.wav

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:03 pm

David Spade has the right look, and can play ruthless, but he'd have to hide that smirk and that irony.

marlysfan

Post by marlysfan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:05 pm

I'm going with Philip Seymour Hoffman...what a great actor! When I saw Capote last Fall, I said to myself, "He will win the Best Actor Oscar. Period."

And it's off-topic, but I like to promote my writing, so here is my college paper review of Capote-

http://spectrum.mcckc.edu/archives/2005 ... capote.htm

RealityWillTell

Post by RealityWillTell » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:38 pm

All kidding aside I could definately see Philip Seymour Hoffman doing L Ron but I think another serious possibility would be Liam Neeson. With only a little makeup & hair work he could really look the part too (not just act it).

and for DM: Mario Cantone

Last edited by RealityWillTell on Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:40 pm

Liam does "noble" and "conflicted" really well but can he do "narcissistic" and "crazy?"

friendly nature

Post by friendly nature » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:45 pm

Al Pacino as Blubbard and the final scene an exact duplicate of 'Scarface".

kins

Post by kins » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:16 pm

What about Jack Nicholson - he pulled off the Devil in Witches of Eastwick...and was pretty crazy/psycho in One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest and The Shining...."all work and no play makes L.Ron a dull boy."

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:05 pm

Last edited by Don Carlo on Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:46 pm, edited 28 times in total.

Sea Otter

Re: Who will be the best Elron?

Post by Sea Otter » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:15 pm

SCIE-NO-MO- wrote: But my absolute favorite choice would be a puppet movie like "Team America" with Phil Hendrie doing all the voices.
In that case, Jabba the Hutt would be perfect for the role of L. Ron Hubbard.

Here's the rest of the cast for my Magoo biopic: "Thirty Years of Hubbard's Hell" ...

older Tory: herself
younger Tory: Renee Zellwegger
Psychotic RPF Victim: Juliette Lewis
RPF Toilet Master: Tom Cruise
Singing Panhandler on Sunset Strip: Lisa Marie Presley
Obnoxious Registrar: Danny Masterson
The Foolish Redhead: Laura Prepon
The Smart Redhead (Escapee): Nicole Kidman
L. Ron Hubbard: Jabba The Hut
Hubbard's pet hippopotomus: Kirsty Alley
Hubbard's irritable chihuahua: Helena Kobrin
Hubbard's anonymous butt-boy: David Miscavige
David Miscavige: Jeremy Irons
Sandy Rosen: Shamu The Killer Whale
Heber Jentzsch: Leslie Nielsen (Naked Gun-style)
Charles Manson: himself

Sea Otter
Xenu Beach, FL

"Calling Scientology a religion is really a lot
like calling Dunkin' Donuts a restaurant."

clamdigrr

Post by clamdigrr » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:29 pm

L. Ron - Travolta in a final act of defiance disguised as 'telling a good tale', swearing at his con ev that he thought it was a 'positive portrayal' while the "Vistral scene" is reviewed.
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0377471/ ... ta,%20John

David M - Martin Short - shown here preparing for the "smacks a bitch" scene that fades in from "This be my cult now" montage.
http://www.angelfire.com/celeb/martinshort/short.jpe
Go on now, go,
Walk out the door,
Just turn around now,
'Cause you're not welcome anymore...

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:30 pm

Wow, Martin Short looks perfectly evil enough to be Miscavige.

clamdigrr

Post by clamdigrr » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:44 pm

DC wrote:
Wow, Martin Short looks perfectly evil enough to be Miscavige.
Let's say I have a sense about these things. :wink:
Go on now, go,
Walk out the door,
Just turn around now,
'Cause you're not welcome anymore...

Roan

Post by Roan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:56 am

How about Leo as the young Ron and Kelsey Grammer as Ron the elder?

Leo and Kelsey have similar facial structure.
“The failure to condemn an activity is indeed, an offer of tacit approval.
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.” — Edmund Burke

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:09 am

Ron was around 40 when Dianetics came out, so the movie will probably start there. Maybe we could have separate votes for:
1. "middle-aged Ron" actor
2. "old Ron" actor
3. actor who could play both

In any event, the actor should be believable as charismatic to his devotees, controlling yet utterly addicted and impotent, vain enough to dye his hair and eyebrows red, yet creepy enough to make your skin crawl.

The main problem with the movie is that it won't be able to show any foul play in Hubbard's death for fear of Miscavige suing, and for lack of evidence of WHO ordered the Vistaril injected, and so forth. And, since Miscavige is still in power, there's no "justice" or "moralistic ending" for CoS. It would be depressing to the movie-goer that so much evil never got punished. Let's hope CoS kicks out Miscavige, or he flees the country, so he won't have the ability or resources to sue.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”