The Way to Happiness is old stuff from the Bible

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Don Carlo

The Way to Happiness is old stuff from the Bible

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:47 pm

Here are the Hubbard's Way to Happiness precepts in red; in all cases, the Bible got there first. In fairness, one could probably find all these concepts in Greek philosophy, or in Chinese moral codes.

1. Take care of yourself.
1 Corinthians 3:16 Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? 3:17 If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.

Deuteronmy 4:15: Take therefore good heed to yourselves

2. Be temperate.
The Bible has many admonitions against drunkenness

3. Don't be promiscuous.
Commandment VII. Thou shalt not commit adultery.

4. Love and help children.
Mark 10: 13 And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. 14 But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. 15 Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it." 16 And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them.

Mark 9: 36 And he took a child and put him in the midst of them, and taking him in his arms, he said to them, 37 "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me."

5. Honor and help your parents.
Commandment V. Thou shalt honour your father and your mother...

6. Set a good example.
Matthew 5:16 Even so, let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Ephesians 6:4 You fathers, don't provoke your children to wrath, but nurture them in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

7. Seek to live with the truth.
Commandment III. Thou shalt not swear falsely by the name of the LORD...
Commandment IX. Thou shalt not bear false witness against your neighbor

8. Do not murder.
Commandment VI. Thou shalt not murder

9. Don't do anything illegal.
1 Peter 2:13 Submit yourself to every ordinance of man . . . to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors.

10. Support the government designed and run for all the people.
Matthew 22:21 Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's.
See also Romans 13:1,7 and Titus 3:1.

11. Do not harm a person of good will.
Lev 24:19 And whosoever shall inflict a blemish on his neighbour, as he has done to him, so shall it be done to himself in return; Lev 24:20 bruise for bruise, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as any one may inflict a blemish on a man, so shall it be rendered to him

Leviticus 19:18: Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself

12. Safeguard and improve your environment.
Genesis 2:15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.

13. Do not steal.
Commandment VIII. Thou shalt not steal.

14. Be worthy of trust.
Proverbs 21:29 A wicked man displays a bold face,
But as for the upright, he makes his way sure.

15. Fulfill your obligations.
1 Timothy 5:8: But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

16. Be industrious.
2 Thessalonians 3:10: For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Proverbs 27:23: Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds.

17. Be competent.
Proverbs 27:23: Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds.

18. Respect the religious beliefs of others.
Micah 4:3 And He will judge between many peoples
And render decisions for mighty, distant nations.
Then they will hammer their
swords into plowshares
And their spears into pruning hooks;
Nation will not lift up sword against nation
And never again will they train for war.
Micah 4:4 And each of them will sit under his
Vine and under his fig tree,
With no one to make them afraid.

19. Try not to do things to others that you would not want them to do to you.
Matthew 7:12 ...do to others what you would have them do to you

20. Try to treat others as you would want to be treated.
Matthew 7:12 ...do to others what you would have them do to you

21. Flourish and prosper.
III John 1:2: Beloved, I wish above all things that thou prosper and be in health.
Last edited by Don Carlo on Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sara

Post by Sara » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:30 pm

Here are some points of TWTH that are routinely violated by the Sea Org:

1. Take care of yourself:
No dental or health insurance, no savings for retirement. Only rice and beans to eat when stats are down, heavy stress and almost no time to relax. How do you take care of yourself on $30 a week?

2. Love and help children:
I personally know of a Sea Org member who never paid a penny of child support for his children, and only visits them a couple days a year, even though they live less than 30 minutes away.

3. Honor and Help your Parents:
Sea Org members must disconnect from their parents if their parents don't like $cientology. How can you help your parents if you work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week and get paid $30 a week? How many Sea Org members are helping to take care of their elderly parents?

I know there are many more violations to TWTH in the Sea Org, these are just the most obvious to me.

Whitedove

Post by Whitedove » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:33 am

My dad told me that it was very similar to the ten commandments but written differently. My dad was not pro-$cientology by the way.

Read the ten commandments and compare. Pretty much the same.

What an hypocrite Hubbard was. Think about it. He talks against Jesus, says he was a pedophile, yet uses the ten commandments.

:shock: :roll:
Whitedove

Tamaritha

Post by Tamaritha » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:36 am

Whitedove wrote:My dad told me that it was very similar to the ten commandments but written differently. My dad was not pro-$cientology by the way.

Read the ten commandments and compare. Pretty much the same.

What an hypocrite Hubbard was. Think about it. He talks against Jesus, says he was a pedophile, yet uses the ten commandments.

:shock: :roll:
Whitedove
And just like the Bible's Ten Commandments, Hubbard has no mention at all about sexual harrassment and sexual assault being wrong. Pity the fool that not only plagiarises the good works, but blindly plagiarises the mistakes also.
That's what you get when you bring Postulation into a MEST fight.

clamdigrr

Post by clamdigrr » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:42 am

Tamarintha,

Everything in the Bible, or Old Testament, to be specific isn't contained in the Ten Commandments. Try Leviticus, or several other chapters, that I'm not going to bother getting into here.
Go on now, go,
Walk out the door,
Just turn around now,
'Cause you're not welcome anymore...

Tamaritha

Post by Tamaritha » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:50 am

clamdigrr wrote:Tamarintha,

Everything in the Bible, or Old Testament, to be specific isn't contained in the Ten Commandments. Try Leviticus, or several other chapters, that I'm not going to bother getting into here.
Oh, those bride prices to be paid to the father after raping the daughter, so that the woman can be forced to marry her rapist, which is much better than being stoned to death?

Or did you mean the bit where they said if a woman is raped in the countryside, she is not guilty, but if she is raped in a city, she is?

Or how, if you wanted a wife, you go out invding other countries, and bringing them into your house, shave their hair, and they're just supposed to sit and listen to you like that?

Trust me, you could only ever take the absence of "Thou shalt not rape" in all of the *three* versions of the Ten Commandments in the Old Testament as merely an absence, but the Bible teaches men to treat women like property.

No, Clamdiggr, the Bible may be a great book, and a fairly accurate historical record, but it was made in a time where women were property, and strongly carries such notions in its words.

Sure, we cannot help that, like many old good classics also unfortunately containing pro-slavery notions.

However, Hubbard, living and writing at a time when women were *not* considered property, had the audacity to plagiarise blindly.

clamdigrr

Post by clamdigrr » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:51 am

What I do understand is that we're all here to 'undress Scientology'.

What would be your point exactly for taunting Christian beliefs?
Go on now, go,
Walk out the door,
Just turn around now,
'Cause you're not welcome anymore...

Tamaritha

Post by Tamaritha » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:54 am

clamdigrr wrote:What I do understand is that we're all here to 'undress Scientology'.

What would be your point exactly for taunting Christian beliefs?
I'm not taunting them. I am merely saying that Hubbard has a classic case of "backward ideas". He's the wonderfully stupid plagiarist who plagiarises the boy in front's name instead of writing his own name in the answer sheets.

funkmr

Post by funkmr » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:05 am

Tam,

With all due respect, and I hate to play devil's advocate in this circumstance, but Hubbard merely failed to correct the Bible within the context of TWTH. He didn't specifically plagiarize the misogynistic aspects in THAT book. While $cn gets incredibly misogynistic in other regards, it seems that this 21 point list merely failed to take a proactively good stand on women's right rather than took a proactively bad stand on the matter.

I really respect you, your opinions and your posts, but strictly speaking, he didn't copy the bad stuff. While I agree that misogyny is unacceptable under any guise, religious or secular, I also agree that bashing the Bible's passages is bad for the board. Many people here are both Christians and fine people can get the good stuff out of the Bible and read past those poor notions. I think that it is best for Clambake that we leave Christianity and the Bible as an untouched subject. Good and bad people come from all faiths and lack thereofs, we should stick to $cn.

My 2 cents.
www.lisamcpherson.org

R.I.P. Lisa, we will never forget you or stop speaking up for you.

magoo1

Post by magoo1 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:07 am

:back2topic: :wink:

I agree that TWTH seems to be taken from "The 10 Commandments"
with a few twists for Hubbard to say it's his creation: Please!

Also, I found many Scientologists violated and violate much of
TWTH. I'll never forget the 2 Sea Org men outside of the Theater
up on Hollywood Blvd, after some Baptist Musical. There they were,
clipboards in hand, with TWTH pictures, and their survey guestions:
"What does this mean to you?" Or some such :bs:

I walked up to a group of afro-american young men, and this guy
and asked; "You're a Scientologist, aren't you?"

He chimed: "I'm FROM THE WAY TO HAPPINESS"

I then said: And since WTH IS part of C of S, please
TELL THEM YOU ~ARE~A SCIENTOLOGIST!

He did, and I reminded them that one of the WTH tenents is:
"Seek to live with the truth", and this man didn't exactly
tell them the truth, did he? They weren't impressed with him.
Once again: Scientology proves their true colors in their actions.

Ahhhh The Way to Happiness.......

Thanks, Don Carlo for starting this thread.

My best :wink:

Tory/Magoo~~ 8)

rollette

Post by rollette » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:09 am

I've always thought "the way to happiness' is the idiot's guide to happiness. It is basically like the 10 commandments. Just another thing LRH ripped off to seem like he came up with it on his own. They should use this book as a handbook for 5 year olds to read in scio. I can hear that stupid "way to happiness" song in my head right now. Great. :?

magoo1

Post by magoo1 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:13 am

Me too..............argh.

I helped put on the Event when it first came out.

Oh jeeeeeeeeeesh, that's the first time I met DM live.

What a jerk. And to think how many years it took me to fully
get that!

Tory/Magoo~~

pitbull

Post by pitbull » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:04 am

ME TOO!
There's an old saying: when the going gets tough - pit bulls call a Scientologist."
-David Miscavige- 8 October, 1993
http://www.earthstation1.com/ThemeSongs/Branded.wav

cobaltblu

Post by cobaltblu » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:35 am

There are no new ideas. There are only new ways of making them felt. - Audre Lorde

Maybe Hubbard took ideas from others but they don't have a right to own their ideas in my opinion.

It is my opinion that most ideas we have are only modified versions of ideas others have had (even if we don't recall hearing those other ideas).

Regards,

CB

:twisted:
"Let's plunge ourselves into the roar of time, the whirl of accident; may pain and pleasure, success and failure, shift as they will - it's only action that can make a man." From "Faust" by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mate

Post by mate » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:31 am

cobaltblu wrote:There are no new ideas. There are only new ways of making them felt. - Audre Lorde

Maybe Hubbard took ideas from others but they don't have a right to own their ideas in my opinion.

It is my opinion that most ideas we have are only modified versions of ideas others have had (even if we don't recall hearing those other ideas).

Regards,

CB

:twisted:
Cobaltblu, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Ideas cannot be copyrighted. You can copyright the written word and you can patent a physical thing.

As far as the TWTH is concerned, they can be found in the Koran, in the Sayings of Confucius, and the list is endless. They are the basis of most civilizations past and present, with the exception of the CofS.

Regards, your mate.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”