Mayors find happiness booklet irritating

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

freethinker01

Mayors find happiness booklet irritating

Post by freethinker01 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:33 pm

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/pbcsouth/c ... 7&cxcat=75

By ELIOT KLEINBERG

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, March 08, 2008

HIGHLAND BEACH — "I'm very pleased to offer this book," says a note on the back of a booklet titled The Way to Happiness; about 20 were delivered recently to town hall.

The note says more copies may be obtained from "Harold Hagelman, Town of Highland Beach," followed by the town hall address. The booklet front says it's "presented by" the mayor.

"No, no, no, no. I didn't sponsor anything," Hagelmann - his name was misspelled on the booklet - said Friday. "They just sent it to me. I never asked for anything. I never sent them out."

Neither did Boca Raton Mayor Steven Abrams, who got about 20 booklets, also "personalized," last month.

Officials are distancing themselves from the 54-page booklet, which says it may be "the first nonreligious moral code based wholly on common sense."

The author: Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. The publishers: a foundation linked to the movement.

Officials of other local municipalities contacted said they don't recall receiving copies.

Abrams remembers only that he shoved them in a "junk" drawer at his office.

"I get all kinds of publications and junk mail," Abrams said. "That's how I treated it."

And Hagelmann said, "They put my name on a lot of things. It goes into the round bucket."

Mayors in Dallas, San Francisco, and Winnipeg also were not amused to see their photographs, cities' seals, even campaign slogans on the covers, according to news articles. But when a Scientology center opened in Buffalo in 2003, Mayor Anthony Masiello approved distribution of the booklet with a picture of city hall and the city seal.

"Scientology is an abusive cult group, and any elected official who knowingly allows his office to be connected with the distribution of Scientology literature has betrayed the trust placed in him by the electorate," wrote David S. Touretzky, a Carnegie Mellon University professor and Scientology critic.

The Glendale, Calif.-based "Way to Happiness Foundation International" says it is "not part of any religious doctrine" and so governments are free to share the booklets. It charges a 7-cent license fee per booklet.

"You are improving your own survival when you present several copies of The Way to Happiness to friends, associates, employees and customers," its Web site says. "In this way, you help others better survive and lead happier lives."

The foundation - which argues its only connection to Scientology is that Hubbard wrote the book - says it sent 2,800 mailings, about 250,000 booklets, to mayors, community groups and businesses across Florida.

The booklets were only samples, it says, to encourage people to buy more personalized copies. After receiving complaints, it will send only "stock" copies, with no personalization.

fowimu

Post by fowimu » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:46 pm

LMAO!!!!!

songbird

Post by songbird » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:56 pm

They were doing this some months back in other cities - it was discsussed here - can't remember thread title.
Cities included San Francisco, Dallas, others I can't recall - the mayors were not amused. :lol:

Sea Horse

Re: Mayors find happiness booklet irritating

Post by Sea Horse » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:23 am

freethinker01 wrote:The foundation - which argues its only connection to Scientology is that Hubbard wrote the book - says it sent 2,800 mailings, about 250,000 booklets, to mayors, community groups and businesses across Florida.
The only connection? How about:

1) The opening of the new TWTH International building was presented during one of Scientology's International events, just like any of the Ideal Orgs or ABLE-related buildings.

2) Buying TWTH booklets for distribution or distributing them is considered acceptable for "making amends" to a Church of Scientology's Ethics Officer.

3) Church of Scientology Bookstore Officers will try to get you to buy blocks of TWTH books.

4) Scientology businesspeople are encouraged to distribute these in their businesses (many do, just walk into one of these businesses -- I can give you a few names)

5) TWTH is part of the "Basic Books" series, released in 2007 and where ALL Scientologists have been ordered to purchase this book... and READ it.

6) The book is available for purchase on Bridge Publications website (www.bridgepub.com).

7) Go to any on-the-street Scientology dissemination campaign (Stress Tests, personality tests, bookselling) and they will always have a collection of TWTH books set aside to give away to people who won't buy something.

Shall I go on?

No one is fooled. TWTH is part of Scientology's dissemination and recruitment campaigns, pure and simple.

They should get a better lie.
We are the architects of our own lives. Design and build the life you want.

The_Beacon

Post by The_Beacon » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:37 pm

I'm surprised they're still trying this on; they've had their fingers burned so often over it already, you'd have thought they'd learn. Or would that take a reactive mind?

What really irked me about the previous cases was they way TWTHF claimed that the mail-outs were akin to push-button junkmail - "dear valued customer, we would like to inform you of recent enhancements we have made..." when actually these booklets have been worked on - incorporating bespoke photos, graphics, etc. Not an organisation chancing their arm with a mail-out, but a much more focused bit of marketing. I think it demonstrates how much value TWTHF and Co$ as a whole put in any kind of state advocacy.
Your humble servant,

Lafayette.

Crimson

Post by Crimson » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:48 pm

Well that's both ballsy and really REALLY stupid of the sciobots.You never put an officials name on anything without permission. Im amazed they aren't sued.
Crimson
I miss you Frankie.

Return to “Media Reports”