Police raid Scientology headquarters in Turin

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

User avatar
TheEvilOfScientology
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Police raid Scientology headquarters in Turin

Post by TheEvilOfScientology » Thu May 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Spotted on WWP:
Raid at the Scientology Headquarters in Turin: Secret Archives with Information on Sex, Health, and Politics Found

May 20, 2010

Scientology is under investigation by the Turin prosecutor's office. Equipped with a magistrate's warrant, a mobile squad raided the religious organization's headquarters in Turin. According to a report by La Stampa, investigators were looking for the personal files dedicated to members as well as to enemies of Scientology.

For nine hours, police rummaged through the offices located on Via Bersezio. In the basement, hidden behind a locked door, investigators are said to have found secret archives with files on magistrates, policemen, journalists, and relatives of former followers.

Their content is now being examined by the judiciary, however the Turin daily newspaper reports that the files are crammed with sensitive information about sex, health and politics. A4 sheets full of strange acronyms and intelligible only to the cult's ministers, who record on these pages the results of e-meter sessions, a special examination which supposedly enables Scientology to understand the spiritual state of patients.

The suspected offense is related to the violation of the standards for the handling of sensitive data.

Source: http://www.gazzettadiparma.it/primapagi ... itica.html

WWP thread: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-media ... ost1249634

User avatar
Sponge
Posts: 14692
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:23 am
Location: U.K.

Post by Sponge » Thu May 20, 2010 2:05 pm

Image


I know this might be a tad OTT but why does this image keep popping in to my head? >>>>
Image
:)

Then I think of....

Maria Pia Gardini
(probably laughing her ass off at this awesome news)

http://puccy-gardini.net/

Image

Who I think would love to help the police decypher the evidence....
News Report wrote: [...]Their content is now being examined by the judiciary, however the Turin daily newspaper reports that the files are crammed with sensitive information about sex, health and politics. A4 sheets full of strange acronyms and intelligible only to the cult's ministers, who record on these pages the results of e-meter sessions, a special examination which supposedly enables Scientology to understand the spiritual state of patients. [...]
Last edited by Sponge on Thu May 20, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.


User avatar
Wieber
Posts: 10248
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 10:57 pm

Post by Wieber » Thu May 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Can you say, "Stat Crash!"?
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Image

Judith Anderson
Posts: 1162
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:15 pm

Post by Judith Anderson » Thu May 20, 2010 2:34 pm

I hope they don't start carrying away their sensitive files from other locations like ants carrying crumbs to a more secure (secretive)environment.

I wonder why they are only pulling a sting on Torino. Why not all the other orgs in Italy?

User avatar
Sponge
Posts: 14692
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:23 am
Location: U.K.

Post by Sponge » Thu May 20, 2010 3:08 pm

Judith Anderson wrote:I hope they don't start carrying away their sensitive files from other locations like ants carrying crumbs to a more secure (secretive)environment.

I wonder why they are only pulling a sting on Torino. Why not all the other orgs in Italy?
Maybe they will and are just watching the others closely for now?
I imagine their files are like gold to them and would rather attempt to hide them first rather than destroy.
If only they'd gone for the paperless office approach with offsite (and offshore) encrypted storage.

Don Carlo
Posts: 11797
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:20 am

Post by Don Carlo » Thu May 20, 2010 3:11 pm

These aren't from e-meter sessions; there's no sanctity of secrecy for private eye investigations.
secret archives with files on magistrates, policemen, journalists, and relatives of former followers

User avatar
Sponge
Posts: 14692
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:23 am
Location: U.K.

Post by Sponge » Thu May 20, 2010 3:17 pm

from mnql1 on WWP:

Translation of an Italian article by Gianni Leone posted on May 20, 2010 on the monodraro.org website:

Scientology nei guai: scoperti dossier segreti nella sede di Torino | MondoRaro – Sempre più liberi ed indipendenti
Scientology in Trouble: Secret Files Discovered in the Turin Headquarters

by Gianni Leone

May 20, 2010

I've always said that Scientology is an organization with little transparency and, for a long time already, I've been speaking out against the activities of this psycho-sect on Italian territory and abroad. For months, I've been demanding an investigation into Scientology's establishments in Italy.

Acting on a warrant, the Turin police have raided the Scientology headquarters in Turin. Guess what came up? In the basement, hidden behind a locked door, secret archives were found with files on magistrates, policemen, journalists (me maybe??), and, of course, everyone Scientology considers an enemy. The files apparently contain sensitive information and photos.

The material is currently being examined by the judiciary. The suspected offense is related to the violation of the standards for the handling of sensitive data.

I continue to formally request, from the pages of this magazine:

* that the competent authorities verify the actual funds and property of Scientology on Italian territory

* that the Ministry of Health perform a verification concerning the "Narconon" communities which charge money for a detoxification method with no scientific value

* that consumer groups campaign against this psycho-sect which operates on Italian territory and practices mental conditioning

* that antitrust authorities take action against the "deceptive advertising" and "press releases" that Scientology spreads over the Internet

I appeal to all honest parliamentarians who know the dangers of psycho-sects to launch an inquiry into the real activity of Scientology in Italy. DO NOT REMAIN PASSIVE.

The problem of psycho-sects touches 1 million people in Italy. It is a very grave problem which must be tackled seriously and firmly.

User avatar
Benny's Friend
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: AKA Resistance is Futile / AKA Patricia Curtis
Contact:

Post by Benny's Friend » Thu May 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Wow Mnql1, thanks for the translations! This is quite a development. The implications are potentially enormous. Might this trigger police raids on other European branches? It can only help Senator Xenophon's call for a judicial inquiry in Australia...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
The more who speak out, the more who get out.

User avatar
Benny's Friend
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: AKA Resistance is Futile / AKA Patricia Curtis
Contact:

Post by Benny's Friend » Thu May 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Mnql1 update:
mnql1 wrote:The original report published on May 19, 2010 by the Turin edition of the daily La Stampa is available online only by subscription, but the text is reproduced on an Italian forum:

articolo della Stampa - “Io e l’archivio segreto sui nemici di Scientology" - free.it.religioni.scientology | Google Gruppi

PDF files of the 2 pages of La Stampa are available here:

http://www.dimarzio.it/srs/modules/m...ntology_52.pdf

http://www.dimarzio.it/srs/modules/m...ntology_53.pdf


The article is quite long and contains an interview with an ex-Scientologist who worked for 8 years at the Turin COS.

Key points:

After his departure, the ex-Scientologist received threats that his secrets and crimes would be revealed. This would be unpleasant, but he hurt many people, did evil things, and has memories that keep him awake at night.

The ex-Scientologist is about 40 years old.

The ex-Scientologist explains that the COS has files containing intimate confessions made by many people, as well as secret files on Scientology's enemies. The latter files are probably kept at the homes of complicit persons.

Examples of enemies for which COS has files are former speaker of parliament Luciano Violante, Prof. Luigi Ciotti, a Milan magistrate, and a father who was trying to free his daughter from Scientology. The investigation method is to find a person's crimes and find a person's enemies. In some cases, paid private investigators were used.

The ex-Scientologist gives an example of a man who was blackmailed by receiving an anonymous envelope containing his personal information, including the fact that he enjoyed wearing women's clothing.

The Turin org's files go back at least 20 years and contain almost 20,000 names, some of persons who only purchased a book. The files kept under lock pertain to staff, to persons who have been audited, and to "special operations".

Luciano Violante is considered an enemy because he publicly attacked Scientology. A fake journalist was sent to interview him and a video was made of statements he made.

Luigi Ciotti has been "studied" because he publicly criticized Narconon.

All information compiled by the Turin COS is translated and forwarded to the United States.

The ex-Scientologist mentions a woman magistrate, a native of Turin, who works for the Milan prosecutor's office. The investigation into her background involved finding her graduate thesis, interviewing her enemies, studying contracts she had given, and many interesting things were found.

The files are mostly used just to provide knowledge about people, but the information is sometimes revealed in print or on the Internet. The objective is to convince an enemy to back away.

One person was responsible for compiling the files and this person was also responsible for salvaging people who blow.

About 700 persons frequent the Turin org. People remain on staff on average 3 or 4 years.

The Turin org's revenues are approximately 35,000 euros a week on average, about a million euros a year.

Asked why he is speaking out, the ex-Scientologist replied, "Because I am ashamed of what I did."

Asked if he is afraid, the ex-Scientologist replied that he fears American Scientologists more than the Italian ones because there have been mysterious deaths.
(emphasis mine)

Good enough reason to launch similar raids here in the U.S., imo.
The more who speak out, the more who get out.

brownjedi
Posts: 4968
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 11:19 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Post by brownjedi » Thu May 20, 2010 6:02 pm

Let the sun shine in on this dungeon of a cult

touchstone
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:44 pm
Location: Marcabian 17th Regiment HQ

Post by touchstone » Thu May 20, 2010 7:03 pm

With all the massive win we've seen over the past few years, I've become a little more blase about new developments-- of *course* yet another highly-placed ex-Scilon is speaking out...

I'm pleased to find this one has me reaching for a paper bag to breathe into.

User avatar
Wieber
Posts: 10248
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 10:57 pm

Post by Wieber » Thu May 20, 2010 7:55 pm

Sponge wrote:
Judith Anderson wrote:I hope they don't start carrying away their sensitive files from other locations like ants carrying crumbs to a more secure (secretive)environment.

I wonder why they are only pulling a sting on Torino. Why not all the other orgs in Italy?
Maybe they will and are just watching the others closely for now?
I imagine their files are like gold to them and would rather attempt to hide them first rather than destroy.
If only they'd gone for the paperless office approach with offsite (and offshore) encrypted storage.
It works like this. You do a sting at one random location. You have watchers surveilling all the others. Then you see what moves from where and you follow what is moved to where it is moved to.

The people in scientology doing the moving will be on the lookout for that kind of thing but the Italian authorities have been masters of that kind of thing for over five hundred years.

[Edit]
When you have thousands of slaves doing the filing for next to nothing you don't need to spend anything on expensive computer technology.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Image

User avatar
Simonymous
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:48 am

Post by Simonymous » Thu May 20, 2010 8:40 pm

DAMN!!!

Let's see that again...
According to a report by La Stampa, investigators were looking for the personal files dedicated to members as well as to enemies of Scientology.

For nine hours, police rummaged through the offices located on Via Bersezio. In the basement, hidden behind a locked door, investigators are said to have found secret archives with files on magistrates, policemen, journalists, and relatives of former followers.

Their content is now being examined by the judiciary, however the Turin daily newspaper reports that the files are crammed with sensitive information about sex, health and politics.
Thank you, Turin! The shroud has been lifted!
“...the injuries that {Hubbard} handled by the use of Dianetics procedures were never handled, because they were injuries that never existed; therefore, Dianetics is based on a lie; therefore, Scientology is based on a lie.” --Tommy Davis

User avatar
J. Swift
Posts: 10214
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Los Feliz, California
Contact:

Post by J. Swift » Thu May 20, 2010 10:16 pm

This is amazing. The Raid could open all kinds of doors to criminal charges being lodged against the Cult of Scientology.

The Snow White Raid yielded a treasure trove of Cult Criminality that sent Mary Sue Hubbard to prison. Slappy has probably evacuated a steaming pantload into his white trousers right about now. Oh well. These kinds of things happen when one operates a Cult.

I would say its time to for the IAS to raise more money!

/////
Last edited by J. Swift on Thu May 20, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/
contact: scienowriter@gmail.com

Post Reply

Return to “Media Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests