Collective Narcissism describes many CoS members

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Don Carlo

Collective Narcissism describes many CoS members

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:39 pm

...collective narcissism is a self-defensive tendency to invest unfulfilled self-entitlement into a belief about ingroup's uniqueness and greatness. Thus, the ingroup is expected to become a vehicle of actualisation of frustrated self-entitlement.[2] When applied to a national group, collective narcissism is similar to nationalism: a desire for national supremacy.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_narcissism

My comment: This helps explain why otherwise sensible people put all their faith in a flawed leader or group, or hide crimes committed by its leadership - they think the group or religion or political party or even sports team is so wondrous, that the end justifies the means. So, they cover up or ignore sex abuse, fraud, extortion, lies, etc. etc. Some Scientology members are skeptical and see through the sham and the crimes, but feel trapped and that they'd lose their family if they criticize. Often, a Scientology family is dominated by a true fanatic, who could be described as a collective narcissist.

Wieber

Re: Collective Narcissism describes many CoS members

Post by Wieber » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 am

It seems most of the references in the Wikipedia article are to writings of Dr. Agnieszka Golec de Zavala. The book I found that she wrote is, Social Psychology of Social Problems: The Intergroup Context. I added this to my reading list, Resources Related to Cults, Coercion, Abuse and Recovery. https://www.worldcat.org/profiles/Wieber/lists/563909

I plan to get a copy of this book and put it on the stack. I'm almost finished Alexanda Stein's Terror, Love & Brainwashing. I will have more to say about this in another thread when I finish it. Highly recommended and it relates to what is writen above.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Re: Collective Narcissism describes many CoS members

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:28 pm

I think Tom Cruise is both a collective narcissist about Scientology and an individual narcissist about himself. He has tried to control and dominate his relatives, like punishing a niece for kissing a boy. Tom even gave up sharing custody of his own daughter. All his ex-wife Katie Holmes did was leave him, and she said NOTHING publicly about Scientology, but he couldn't accept anything less than total loyalty. So he rejected his own daughter just for being with Katie.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”