Collective Narcissism describes many CoS members

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Don Carlo

Collective Narcissism describes many CoS members

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:39 pm

...collective narcissism is a self-defensive tendency to invest unfulfilled self-entitlement into a belief about ingroup's uniqueness and greatness. Thus, the ingroup is expected to become a vehicle of actualisation of frustrated self-entitlement.[2] When applied to a national group, collective narcissism is similar to nationalism: a desire for national supremacy.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_narcissism

My comment: This helps explain why otherwise sensible people put all their faith in a flawed leader or group, or hide crimes committed by its leadership - they think the group or religion or political party or even sports team is so wondrous, that the end justifies the means. So, they cover up or ignore sex abuse, fraud, extortion, lies, etc. etc. Some Scientology members are skeptical and see through the sham and the crimes, but feel trapped and that they'd lose their family if they criticize. Often, a Scientology family is dominated by a true fanatic, who could be described as a collective narcissist.

Wieber

Re: Collective Narcissism describes many CoS members

Post by Wieber » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 am

It seems most of the references in the Wikipedia article are to writings of Dr. Agnieszka Golec de Zavala. The book I found that she wrote is, Social Psychology of Social Problems: The Intergroup Context. I added this to my reading list, Resources Related to Cults, Coercion, Abuse and Recovery. https://www.worldcat.org/profiles/Wieber/lists/563909

I plan to get a copy of this book and put it on the stack. I'm almost finished Alexanda Stein's Terror, Love & Brainwashing. I will have more to say about this in another thread when I finish it. Highly recommended and it relates to what is writen above.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:28 pm

I think Tom Cruise is both a collective narcissist about Scientology and an individual narcissist about himself. He has tried to control and dominate his relatives, like punishing a niece for kissing a boy. Tom even gave up sharing custody of his own daughter. All his ex-wife Katie Holmes did was leave him, and she said NOTHING publicly about Scientology, but he couldn't accept anything less than total loyalty. So he rejected his own daughter just for being with Katie.

Demented Lron

Post by Demented Lron » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:47 pm

I thought the word "narcissism" applies to the individual only, Tom Cruise would be an example of that. Apparently it could be applied to a group. I would rather call Scientologists a "group suffering from a grand-delusion"

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:12 am

There's definitely a me-me-me aspect of Scientology - my engrams, my BT's, my eternity, and I think the individual Scientology member or staff identifies his or her own success with Scientology as a whole. It's like, "I'm the elite, the vanguard, because I belong to the 'most ethical' group that is "the only hope for mankind.' "

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:11 pm

From the reading I've been doing about cults, one of the mind control/isolation techniques used is to make the followers believe they are society's elite. Within Scientology this is extended as the organization imposes a caste system on its members with staff members in the sea organization treated with a higher elite status than 2 1/2 and 5 year contracted staff members who are in turn treated with a higher elite status than Scientology public.

As an aside, the elite status afforded, as propaganda, to sea org staff members, makes recruiting non sea org Scientologists into the sea organization much easier.

I have attended many events and 'morale building' meetings in which we were told outright that we, Scientologists, are the elite. From the reading I've done, all cults do this in various ways.
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:46 pm

The hip hip hooray's and standing ovations at CoS events are exciting for those attracted to the ideas that "we are the elite" and "we are booming." That person merges with the roaring crowd. Some people at events are creeped out and appalled at the Hubbard and Miscavige mass worship, but don't dare sit out the standing ovation for fear of disconnection from family.

Today's Underground Bunker talks about how CoS leadership always has to find a scapegoat if anything goes wrong. This is a symptom of an individual narcissist, too. If the narcissist or the leadership is caught in a crime or embarrassment, watch out if you are a little guy Scientologist who made a small mistake or obeyed leadership demands to do something wrong.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:21 am

What's really creepy is having to stand and applaud at events at smaller orgs where the ovation is on the TV screen. Then when they do a 'To LRH!' call everyone has to give three cheers. There was always someone in the room who shouted out, "Hip hip!" I didn't stay in long enough to get comfortable with any of that.
Doris Lessing

Demented Lron

Post by Demented Lron » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:52 pm

My friend spent 4 years in Hare Krishna cult. They are not told that they are the elite, they are told that they are nobody and only god Krishna can elevate them to the status of a demigod. They start chanting 'Hare Krishna' at 4:00 AM and go on until the breakfast. After that they go to airports and railroad stations to advertise their version of salvation.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Allow me to go off topic in response to that. When I was involved in CoS, I spotted a group of Hare Krishnas working a mall or something like that. They were dressed in regular street clothes and wearing cheap wigs. They had shoulder bags with their propaganda material and they exhibited furtive group behavior. What gave them away is they all had that white mark they wear on their faces.

When we were out spreading CoS propaganda on the street we looked on them as competition - not the official Guardian's Office / Office of Special Affairs line but they weren't out in the street working against public counter intention to get stats up. I kind of liked them because they often gave me 'spiritual peanuts.'
Doris Lessing

Painter of Lite

Post by Painter of Lite » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:09 am

Individual narcissism also describes many Trump apologists. Both Trump and LRH are and were conscience free but LRH did a better job than Trump of faking that he had a conscience.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”