IAS Horror Stories?

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
basicquestions
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

IAS Horror Stories?

Post by basicquestions » Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:19 pm

Have any other people had really bad experiences with the IAS?

Doesn’t LRH define criminal exchange as “something for nothing”? These people get money and give absolutely nothing in return. Wow, for a mere $5,000 you get your name published in Freedom Magazine—swell! At least the Co$ pretends to give you something in return for money.

I bring this up because of a relatively recent event in my life. I have a friend who was so tapped out due to ridiculous donations to the IAS ($20,000+ dollars) that he didn’t even have the money to buy the next service that the C/S said was “vital” to his survival. He then contacted me to see if I’d loan him the money for this “vital” service.

I could go on and on about these particular leeches, but I’m just wondering if anyone else has had similar IAS experiences.

Girlfriend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Girlfriend » Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:57 am

Gandalf,

He's allowed to even Speak to you? Or was this before you got out? Can't remember when you said you got out.

BG

basicquestions

Post by basicquestions » Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:01 pm

BG,

No one within CoS even knows "I'm out" (at least that I'm aware of). Fortunately, I was never staff so there was no need for any announcement, and I saw no reason to set myself up as a target for harassment. I just walked out one day and never went back.

slicer

Post by slicer » Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:49 pm

You do realize that with your position you can help take others out with you, or at least to the Freezone, don't you?

'Do what you can' is all I'm saying.

mikedewolf

Post by mikedewolf » Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:12 pm

I was at the event at the Hollywood Paladium when the IAS was first announced in the early 1980s. It sounded like a scam to me from the start. With all the money they were charging for services, what was the point of another organization to pay dues to?

Mike
Mike de Wolf
"A science that depends on Authority alone is a breath in the wind of truth and is therefore no science at all." - L. Ron Hubbard

mikedewolf

Post by mikedewolf » Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:32 pm

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://groups.msn.com/Scientology/gener ... 7704838040

Scientology has a booklet "The Way To Happiness" (TWTH) it beleives has the power to make the people in Isreal/Palistine stop blowing each other up. They find a contact in the Ramallah schools who wants to distribute a copy to each child. (I don't have any problem with THTH, I just don't think its the groundbreaking document Scientolgists beleive it to be.)

So does the church use its donations to help bring peace to an area that's been war-torn for as longer than our current lifetimes?

NO! Memebrs are hit up for donations to buy the booklettes at a healthy mark-up to make more money for Bridge publications.

Disgusting.

Mike
Mike de Wolf
"A science that depends on Authority alone is a breath in the wind of truth and is therefore no science at all." - L. Ron Hubbard

basicquestions

Post by basicquestions » Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:05 pm

Slicer,

"'Do what you can' is all I'm saying."

I will.

declared02

Post by declared02 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:40 am

I was in the Sea Org 84-86 and left. I got back into Scn as public in 93 and I noticed how much things has changed. The org went from 28 staff to about 8 staff and when they had these events you were called everyday until you said you would go. If you didn't show up at the event you were written up about it and sent to ethics.
At the IAS event people were standing by the door so you didn't really feel you could leave until the goal was met. I was sitting there with spouse and kids, hoping all the rich people in the room would make the quota. The org staff hadn't been paid more than a few dollars a week if anything at all. Bills were not paid but this org public gave the IAS tens of thousands of dollars. It was so obviously flawed to me. I had been away and then saw this "raping" of the public when the staff wasn't even fed. It made me sick. The IAS should be sued by all of the orgs.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:50 pm

Thanks, Declared02. How much were you paid weekly in 1984-86? Do you know CoS is required to pay employees federal minimum wage, even on Indian reservations?

declared02

Post by declared02 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:53 pm

Really? We were paid $24/wk and on the RPF it was $6/wk but sometimes the CLO only paid me $4/wk. Are they now paying minimum wage to SO members? I guess one has to fight for what is right. Sounds like I am going off topic from IAS string, but thanks Don Carlo for listening!

freedom_man

Post by freedom_man » Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:09 pm

Pardon my asking, but what is IAS? Thanks.

mikedewolf

Post by mikedewolf » Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:14 pm

IAS is the International Association of Scientologists. It is allegedly an indepentant organization of induvidual Scientologists, but is run by the same people as the church. If you are open the Bridge, you will be pressured to join, if not required.

Interestingly, the IAS has published membership figures of 50,000 or so. If there are really 6-8 million Scientologists, then why are less than 1 percent in the IAS?

Mike
Mike de Wolf

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:39 pm

CoS is STILL violating minimum wage laws in the U.S. I wrote two pieces about this in two different threads in 2001 "Opinions and Debate"

Pay Minimum Wage or Else, Scientology!

and

Proof Scientology Must Pay Minimum Wage to Its Workers

The second link led me into another topic, that the IRS Secret Agreement with CoS expired December 1999, so why doesn't the IRS require CoS to re-apply as a regular charity? CoS uses the Secret Agreement to let their members deduct course fees as charitable deductions, a privilege granted to no other charity or religion. If CoS had to reapply, they would have to argue in the light of day that their scam wasn't a for-profit-business, getting themselves lots of negative PR. Even IF they got the status of a 401(c)3 tax-deductible charity, they could no longer use the tax dodge of allowing members to deduct audit fees.

freedom_man

Post by freedom_man » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:58 am

Thanks, Mike. Man, the stuff just keeps piling up.
I'm reminded of the way kindling is heaped up before
a grand conflagration... When it finally goes up, it
goes like a "roaring fire," as Co$ was likened unto
by one of the snotty little teenagers that occasionally
posts here. Time's expose was a few sparks. Xenu.net is another.
The Lisa McPherson trial will be some more sparks,
and the Internet is the mother of all tinder, flint, and steel.
Pretty soon, the whole damn thing is going up
in smoke. (or rather, the smoky clouds of illusion
will be blown assunder.)
I personally think that the top management of Co$ is
headed back to jail again, and it's only a matter
of time.

Ball of Fluff

Post by Ball of Fluff » Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:30 am

Hi, Mike. A lot of church members only pay by the year since IAS dues are so expensive on top of the expensive courses and auditing and whatnot. So they often let their dues lapse, only paying when told to, which is usually when embarking on a new service. So there are lots of church members not reflected in IAS rolls. Or some, anyway. But not 7,950,000!

Return to “Opinions & Debate”