Attempt to Smuggle LRH Books into Ukraine

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mnql1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Attempt to Smuggle LRH Books into Ukraine

Post by mnql1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:27 pm

Translation of a Russian article posted on Jan. 28, 2011 on the website of the IMK news agency.
http://www.imk.ua/ru/news/28-01-2011/222996/
Attempt to Transport 78 Boxes of Scientology Study Materials into Ukraine

By Mihkail Kramarenko
January 28, 2011

Customs officers seized printed materials, audio books, and audio lectures worth in total more than 302,000 UAH during an attempt to illegally move them across the border into Ukraine. The cargo consisted of 78 boxes of printed materials containing religious and philosophical teachings of Scientology and Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard. The IMK news agency learned of this from the press service of the State Customs Service of Ukraine.

A Mercedes-Benz cargo van driven by a citizen of the Republic of Belarus arrived at the Novi Yarylovychi customs control checkpoint. According to the documents that were provided for customs clearance, the transport vehicle was for the movement of "furniture and plastic articles". The furniture reached Ukraine from the Republic of Lithuania.

However, during a customs inspection of the cargo, customs officials verified if the rear and side doors of the cargo compartment had been secured by the customs authorities of the Republic of Lithuania. The driver said that, because the hydraulic system for opening the back door was out of order, access to the cargo compartment was only possible through the side doors. On the side doors were cardboard boxes with chairs.

To inspect the other parts of the cargo compartment, customs officials used the "Sova" ["Owl"] video surveillance system. This allowed them to see that, behind the furniture boxes, were white-colored boxes labelled "extended books". In these boxes, CDs and printed books by L. Ron Hubbard were found.

The driver explained that he was transporting the cargo for a fee per an agreement with persons he did not know. He had no shipping documentation for the cargo and there was no clearance of the goods by the customs authorities of the Republic of Lithuania. To make it difficult to access the cargo compartment of the vehicle and to avoid customs control, the persons who arranged the shipment had damaged the hydraulic system for opening the rear door.

Officials concluded that a citizen of the Republic of Belarus was trying to move goods across the customs border of Ukraine and concealing them from customs control using techniques to complicate their detection. The protocol concerning the violation of Article 352 of the Customs Code of Ukraine was invoked and the cargo was seized.
Last edited by mnql1 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponge
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Attempt to Smuggle LRH Books into Ukraine

Post by Sponge » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks indeed for that.
Brought a big smile to my face.

302,000 UAH is aproximately 24,000 UKpounds, 38,000 USDollars or 28,000 Euros

Other discussion:
wwp: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/ ... ine.68425/

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:17 pm

I dunno, I have mixed feelings here.

Do we know if the books were smuggled because they aren't allowed in the Ukraine? Or because they didn't want to pay customs fees?

If it's the former, that kinda sucks, even thought I am glad the books were kept out. Still, the Ukraine, and especially Belarus are struggling between being a dictatorship and a democracy. I'm for freedom of the press/religion/democracy.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:55 pm

I'mglib wrote:I dunno, I have mixed feelings here.

Do we know if the books were smuggled because they aren't allowed in the Ukraine? Or because they didn't want to pay customs fees?

If it's the former, that kinda sucks, even thought I am glad the books were kept out. Still, the Ukraine, and especially Belarus are struggling between being a dictatorship and a democracy. I'm for freedom of the press/religion/democracy.
Are you thinking of previously reported Russian controversy over banning certain scientology titles?
Russia Ukraine

No mention of banned titles being a factor in that news article. Goods were going from Belarus into Ukraine. Simply concealment to avoid duty at the moment it seems. Also, it has been pointed out in the WWP thread that it may also have been done not just to avoid customs inspection and avoidance of duty but also for false accounting to stay below business sales tax tresholds.
Officials concluded that a citizen of the Republic of Belarus was trying to move goods across the customs border of Ukraine and concealing them from customs control using techniques to complicate their detection. The protocol concerning the violation of Article 352 of the Customs Code of Ukraine was invoked and the cargo was seized.

http://yurist-online.com/en/kodeks/011.php

The Customs code of Ukraine

Article 352. The actions directed on moving of the goods through customs border of Ukraine with concealment from the customs control 110

skeptic2girl

Post by skeptic2girl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Quote:

To inspect the other parts of the cargo compartment, customs officials used the "Sova" ["Owl"] video surveillance system. This allowed them to see that, behind the furniture boxes, were white-colored boxes labelled "extended books". In these boxes, CDs and printed books by L. Ron Hubbard were found.

The lesson I take from this is that if you're trying to smuggle books, don't take them in boxes labeled, "Books"!

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 pm

Russia ≠ Ukraine
Indeed, but after the failure of the Orange Revolution, the Ukraine had gone downhill in regards to freedom of the press. The new president, Yanukovich, has moved closer to Russia.

http://www.boston.com/ae/media/articles ... _declines/

I still think it's a good thing that Scientology books aren't getting inside, I just am hesitant about accepting the reason why.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:36 am

I'mglib wrote:
Russia ≠ Ukraine
Indeed, but after the failure of the Orange Revolution, the Ukraine had gone downhill in regards to freedom of the press. The new president, Yanukovich, has moved closer to Russia.

http://www.boston.com/ae/media/articles ... _declines/

I still think it's a good thing that Scientology books aren't getting inside, I just am hesitant about accepting the reason why.
No, you're needlessly stretching the topic. Please back up the inference with hard fact that Ukraine has a reason in law to specfically target scientology materials and that it wasn't just simple and efficient customs bureaucracy at work (which isn't even unique to the Ukraine).
If the hidden boxes had been full of anything else, the guy would still be in trouble. It wasn't what was in the boxes, it was the failure to declare what he had. The fact that it happened to be scientology materials worth $38,000 was our bonus.

Return to “Media Reports”