APA Convention Hawaii takes on Scientology. May 16, 2011

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

Sponge
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

APA Convention Hawaii takes on Scientology. May 16, 2011

Post by Sponge » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:12 am

Edit: Scroll down or jump to this post for the detailed syllabus: viewtopic.php?p=398167#p398167

From WWP: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/ ... ogy.78780/
Anonymous, posting on WWP, wrote:
APA Convention in Hawaii takes on Scientology

On the heels of the successful workshop delivered in Toronto in Sept at the CPA, Dr. Steve Wiseman has organized an international "all-star" panel workshop entitled:

The War: Understanding and Confronting Scientology's Efforts to Destroy Psychiatry

Bottom line is that again this is historical, the first time the American Psychiatric Association has hosted such a presentation on this important subject. It represents the next major level of interest and engagement on behalf of professional psychiatry to push back against the distortions and misinformation put out by Scientology for years.

The panel is:

Stephen Wiseman MD (Chair)
Psychiatrist

Stephen Kent PhD
Professor of Sociology, University of Alberta, Canada
Aruguably world's #1 academic expert on Scientology

Lynn Partridge MD
Psychiatrist, Colorado

Nancy Many
Author of "My Billion Year Contract"

The workshop is at the annual American Psychiatric Association convention, taking place in Honolulu Hawaii May 14-18, 2011. The workshop itself is scheduled for Monday May 16, in the morning.

http://www.psych.org/annualmeeting

If any Anons in Hawaii(are there any?) or elsewhere want to attend and/or support Dr.Wiseman and the panel, stay tuned to this thread for more information to come.

A Dr. Wiseman video from Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBrLmUZIkVU
(more on that channel)

New Wiseman videos coming soon.

Don Carlo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: APA Convention Hawaii takes on Scientology. May 16, 2011

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:36 pm

Yeah. Fight back.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:09 pm

Wow, that should be interesting.

I wonder if any Scientologists will picket.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:22 pm

I'mglib wrote:Wow, that should be interesting.

Yep, they will. Their actions are very predictable.
“The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil.”
― Hannah Arendt

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:28 am

Let them picket...more publicity for the conference and the things that the not so evil psyches will have to say. I hope a clam gets interviewed on tV....youtube that shiite

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:08 am

I'mglib wrote:Wow, that should be interesting.

Since you could probably count the total number of scientologists in Hawaii on the fingers of one hand and since the ocean in between them and mainland USA prevents cheaply bussing extras in then they'll have to pay a lot of air fares or charter an airliner if they want to have a protest that isn't shamefully embarassing. Can't imagine too many average scilons being able to afford to fly there and pay for a hotel no matter how much they reg' themselves. Looks like the psychopathic dwarf will have dig into his pockets.
Unless of course that nutbar anti-big-pharma psych-hater Kelly Preston can persuade her hubby John Travolta to fuel up the old Boeing 707 Winnebago to do a special ops mission flight to her home state and air-drop scilons by parachute over Honolulu (watch out for them volcanoes guys!).
Why don't they use His Midget Majesty's shiplet, the MV Freewinds?......cough cough....thud.

Also, I have been reliably informed by seekrit agents working for Big Pharma that Honolulu scilons have been forced out of their downtown shop, which actually had passing trade, and now occupy offices above a mattress shop at 1347 Kapiolani Blvd 3 blocks from the convention centre (you can see this in google street view).
That's convenient. They might get a bulk discount on mattresses from the shop downstairs so they can put up the skint scilons for the duration of the APA convention. It'll be luxury for some of the sea orgers.
That is if the landlord doesn't kick them out well before then because I've also been reliably informed by a top Special Agent Nazi Pysch Baby-Eater via ECT Phone that they are in serious arreas with their rent, and not by a small amount either.
This is factual.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:10 am

Hehe. Is this their only presence in Hawaii?
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

spacecootie

Post by spacecootie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:59 am

This really doesn't sound like epic win material to me.

I attend several large conferences related to my profession every year. The "workshop" events are usually small panel discussions, attracting a smaller percentage of the total attendees. There are usually a couple of large plenary sessions each day that everyone attends, then several smaller workshops that act as breakout sessions.

Plus, the event is in Hawaii, which means an excuse for a vacation. Chances are may of the shrinks will spend just enough time at the workshop to sign an attendance form for continuing education purposes, then head for the beach.

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:02 am

I'mglib wrote:Hehe. Is this their only presence in Hawaii?
Small number of Scilons that fly to LA for services, or if they can afford it, fly auditors to the island. Myron & Sakura Thompson are still listed as the managers of Narconon at 91-1011 Lexington Ave, Kapolei, HI 96707. (Listed as an active company with the State of Hawaii). They still have thier WISE company, Success Strategies, on Kalanianaole Hwy in Honolulu.

John Cowden is the manager of the Hawaii Life Improvement Center dba Way to Happiness at 4970 Kilauea Ave, Suite 407, Honolulu 96816. It's listed as "This business is not in good standing" with the state.

I doubt an org could flourish in Hawaii, a major tourist destination. The cult can still suck the life savings out of the members that live there, though.

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:05 am

spacecootie wrote:This really doesn't sound like epic win material to me. Plus, the event is in Hawaii, which means an excuse for a vacation. Chances are may of the shrinks will spend just enough time at the workshop to sign an attendance form for continuing education purposes, then head for the beach.
Yup, plus the trip is tax deductible if shown to be a work-related expense.

Appledore2@aol.com

Post by Appledore2@aol.com » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:29 am

This is an epic win. Scientology has been attempting to obliterate Psychiatry years and years. The yearly APA Convention is held in a different city every year, it is planned seven years in advance. For all that Scientology has attacked the American Psychiatrists, they have never allowed, any mention of Scientology at all, let alone a full panel presentation. Despite the fact that wherever they hold their convention, there is a large contingent of Scios, under the CCHR Banner presence. The panel is well prepared, I know for myself, I will be filling them in on information that is not included in my book, and I doubt OSA even has a clue of.
There are other surprises planned. Most of the members of the panel, have things they have wanted to tell the members of the APA for some time now. This will be well-attended and talked about discussion.
I just wish it was going to be anywhere on the mainland. I sure would like to see some V for Vendetta Masks out there for support. CCHR will be there in force. They have all their great Human Rights Activities to promote. Meanwhile, what about the people being kept in the "hole" or under guard in the Rehabilitation Force --right now, today...

I know it's a small island, very far from the mainland. But it would do my heart good to see some of those V for Vendetta Masks in the crowd.

This is going to create a shift. Don't know how large a shift, or how long they will last, but this Panel will create a shift.

Thanks you guys....
Nancy Many - Ex SO, Panel Member

sekh

Post by sekh » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:19 pm

I truly hope so. Best wishes, go for it! :thumleft:
"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."
Sir Karl Popper (1902 - 1994)

Appledore2@aol.com

Post by Appledore2@aol.com » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:40 am

Every little bit of truth that comes out of their closets, is a step towards more sanity and less abuse.

loveya,
nancy

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Appledore2@aol.com wrote:Every little bit of truth that comes out of their closets, is a step towards more sanity and less abuse.

loveya,
nancy

Hey, Nancy. Welcome to the board. Can't wait to hear your speech. Hopefully it will be videoed and put on Youtube.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Fri May 06, 2011 12:15 pm

2011 APA Annual Meeting syllabus book (pdf pages 398/399)
http://www.psych.org/MainMenu/Education ... px?FT=.pdf

[Reformatted for forum posting]
[Event day: May 16th 2011]

8:00 AM - 9:30AM
WORKSHOP 59

THE WAR: UNDERSTANDING AND CONFRONTING SCIENTOLOGY’S EFFORTS TO DESTROY PSYCHIATRY
Chairperson.: Stephen R Wiseman, M.D., Department of Psychiatry, St. Paul’s Hospital, 1081 Burrard Street, Vancouver, V6Z1Y6 Canada,
Presenter(s): Stephen Wiseman, M.D., Nancy Many, B.S., C Lynn Partridge, M.D., Stephen Kent, M.A., Ph.D.

EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES:
At the conclusion of this session, the participant should be able to:
1) Understand Scientology’s development and nature as a New Religion;
2) Appreciate the historical development of, and reasons for, Scientology’s opposition to the practice of psychiatry;
3) Identify some of Scientology’s current methods of opposing and stigmatizing psychiatric treatment; and
4) Appreciate the experience of mental illness and how it is handled from within Scientology.

SUMMARY:
L. Ron Hubbard published “Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health” in 1950, prior to then developing Scientology and registering it as a religion in 19534[sic]. During this time, he referred to psychiatry as a potential rival but not an enemy to be demonized and destroyed. This suddenly changed in 1955, however, and since this time, Scientology has been vociferously opposed to psychiatry to the degree of advocating for, and actively working towards, its entire destruction as a system of treatment. Today, both psychiatrists and the public alike are surprised by the degree of influence Scientology and its various affiliates have had, and continue to have, on antipsychiatry initiatives.

Utilizing sophisticated propaganda techniques to disseminate apparently legitimate criticisms of psychiatric practice, Scientology has supported and paved the way for more comprehensive and damaging attacks on the profession using legal and political methods. Any understanding of the ongoing stigma against psychiatry, its practice, and by extension those in need of psychiatric treatment, is entirely incomplete without an appreciation of the major role Scientology has played over the years in its perpetuation. This workshop explores the relationship between Scientology and psychiatry by commencing with an academically oriented discussion of the nature and internal mechanisms of new religions and cults in general and Scientology in specific. A detailed history of Scientology’s opposition to psychiatry, with specific ideas as to how and why this was triggered, is then presented.

Thirdly, Scientology’s current propaganda, legal, and political efforts to destroy psychiatry are reviewed, along with examples of how these have in fact had a stigmatizing influence. Finally, a personal testimony of Scientology’s teachings, and a struggle against mental illness from within the Church, is presented by a prominent exmember who has also published her story in the book “My Billion Year Contract”. This will be a controversial workshop, in that it will be the first presentation of its kind in North America to address this issue directly.
Traditionally, the concern of legal action or even personal retribution against those who would speak out against Scientology’s antipsychiatry practices has been enough to preclude any such workshop as this until now.

Return to “Media Reports”