Is there nothing we can do to stop Narconon?

Drug rehabilitation or Scientology front?
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
greuze
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Is there nothing we can do to stop Narconon?

Post by greuze » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:37 pm

Hi

First of all, I want to apologize for my poor English skills, I don't speak or write in English for a long time, but unfortunately I haven't found any critical website regarding Narconon in Spanish.

I was in Narconon Retiro, in a little town near Sevilla (Spain) some months ago. I spent there seven weeks, and it was enough to realise that the only thing they want there is your money. Almost everybody that finish the programme becomes a scientologist.

As you are well informed, I don't have to talk about the silly (and sometimes dangerous) practices that they use in there. I think it is absurd to pretend that there isn't any link between Scientology and Narconon. It's heartbreaking to find out how they take advantage of people's misfortune. This is probably the worst trap ever conceived by Scientolgy, since they try to recruit for their cult persons who need special care.

When I first returned home I tried to forget all what had happenned, but now I think there must be some way to close Naronon facilities. At least there are tones of information in English, but there is very little, if nothing, in other lenguages.

Anyway, the only thing we can do is to write on the web? Isn't there any action to take against Narconon?

Thanks...

(I hope you understood what I wrote...)

Ladybird
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Ladybird » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:19 pm

greuze, Your english is excellent! Here is a site from South America, Roberto Diaz has done alot of work to translate the critical information about scientology to spanish. (the most widely spoken language in the world!)

Hope this helps, and please let us know how it is going for you.

Amore, Ladybird

Noticia de la agencia AFP:
http://www.prevensectes.com/rev0510.htm#5

Noticia en Le Nouvel Observateur :
http://permanent.nouvelobs.com/poli...08.OBS1497.html

Fantastico.

Saludos.

Roberto Diaz Org.
http://www.robertodiaz.org
http://www.robertodiaz.org/contact-contactenos.html

no_8c_now

Post by no_8c_now » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:56 am

But THE Tom Cruise was in your country to open the new org! If it's good enough for Tom it's more than good enough for you. I suggest you see the Ethics Officer at the Madrid Org. You can't miss him he's likely the one holding it from above as the deputy ED.

:jocolor:

Actually, thanks for posting here. The US is certainly not the center of the universe, as much as we like to think so. The sun supposedly never sets on Scientology so it follows that they have created critics from around the world shining that light of truth on this, uh, Church.

Babs

THis summer in Narconon.

Post by Babs » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:51 pm

I am a clean and sober survivor despite being at Narconon Southern Calif. this past summer. A horrible experience in every way. Want to speak with other survivors and see if we can do anything to stop them from hurting others and taking all their money.

bird

Narconon Retiro es sancionado por la delegación provincial

Post by bird » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:34 pm

Narconon Retiro es sancionado por la delegación provincial de Salud tras una denuncia irregularidades.

e-alcala 31/03/2005

La Delegación Provincial de Salud iniciará un proceso sancionador contra Narconon Retiro tras la denuncia de unos padres por un proceso psicótico agudo que sufrió su hijo en agosto cuando estuvo ingresado 12 días. El joven tuvo que ser hospitalizado en la unidad de psiquiatría del Virgen del Rocío por el estado que presentaba.
Salud visitó el centro dedicado a la rehabilitación de toxicómanos y lo inspeccionó para conocer si se había cometido algún tipo de irregularidad. El 10 de enero se trasladó el informe a la secretaría general de Salud para que iniciase el procedimiento sancionador y se valorase jurídicamente para conocer si se le daba traslado a la Fiscalía de Sevilla.
Por su parte, el director senior de expansión de Narconon afirmó no tener constancia en ese momento de la sanción contra el centro.

Fuente : http://www.e-alcala.com/detalle_noticia.asp?ID=712

Babs

Stop Narconon

Post by Babs » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:27 pm

I was in Narconon for 8 weeks this past May, June and half of July. I used and abused narcotics and was on the antidepressant, Paxil. I didnot want to stop the Paxil. I asked and told, "It's not a problem" (not their problem, translated). and "that's okay" by various staff members in Newport Beach. I went to A kind of l2 Step private home, Chapman House for a medical detox because I was afraid of hospitals. People there were all going to AA workshops and meetings and the only people who I talked to wouldn't say a word against Narconon or about AA or NA. It was like they took a vow of silence or were afraid of something. I had my Paxil with me, and continued to take it. I was drugged most of the time. They conveniently "forgot" to search my luggage. When my Paxil was running out I innocently told them I needed more. They were shocked. Didn't someone search your luggage? No. Why did you "hide it?" I didn't it was on my night table. So they took me off it cold turkey and while I was fine while there, as soon as I was transferred to Newport Beach, the withdrawl from Paxil started. Seeing things, chronic insomnia, headaches and hot and cold flashes. It went on most of the time I was there and in San Diego. I heard varying messages from the staff. I was imagining it, it was delayed withdrawl, etc. I had read how dangerous it was to come off it suddenly and I was scared. I wanted to leave. They talked me out of it.

After I slept 5 hours one night (only because one of the staff took pity on me and gave me Unisom tablets-OTC sleep aid). The next day they had me writing an attestment that I was finished with detox and satisified with the results. It was dictated to me by a counselor who followed me like a puppy dog making sure I wouldn't drink coffee on the sly. I had constant headaches from caffeine withdrawl as well. I said 5 hours sleep is not normal for me, and neither is heaving up every meal. Too late. I was told in one day first I was going to Caliente, Nevada, then on to San Diego. I was scared and tired of moving around, meeting all these new people when I was so sick and scared. I ended up in San Diego. All the time, the clean detox was about 4 rooms next to offices with people working, new students being given a tour, and a public bathroom. Very uncomfortable for someone very sick and in withdrawl to have to face.

Most of the people were nice. My friend had chosen this rehab for me because I had been in l2th Step programs and she thought they didn't work for me. How wrong she was! If I didn't read the literature I had brought with me from this programs I would have gone insane. Oner day I asked them to take me to an NA or AA meeting and they just acted as if I lost my mind.

San Diego was not too bad. I just thought their secret language (like muster for meeting, objectives, win etc.) was code for something else. The exercises I thought were stupid, people bullbaiting and antagonizing people, racist comments, personal assaults, etc. Screaming at an ashtray. And doing Objective 2 over and over. I had to "You, look at that wall. You, walk over to that wall. You touch that wall. etc." On and on for literally 3-4 hours at a time. I remember thinking it was some form of mind control, or brainwashing. I didnot ever say what ever they wanted me to say and got frustrated and exhausted on like 2-3 hours of sleep if I was lucky. Then came the sauna. I heard they used it for 9/ll rescue workers in NYC after the WTC collapsed. Their information was totally one sided. Today the City of NY is suing the Church of Scientology over people having strokes, brain hemmorages and heart attacks in the sauna program which was said to be not safe. It scared me there was no doctors or even nurses available. I had to pay to go to one, and to the ER.
I had become dehydrated and dizzy and my blood pressure was high.
I had high blood pressure and was given medication by one of their doctors. I had hives all the time from Niacin they gave me. The vitamins made me sick and those "headache packs" and "sleep packs" made me ill physically. I was given Benadryl for a few days, to relieve the hives, but then they said I was using it to sleep. Since I slept no more than 3 hours a night, that was ridiculous. My mind was not clear and I tried to stick it out. But half the time I was too sick and tired to leave my room. Only one counselor took an interest in me and one day I said off the top of my head, If this is the way it's gonna be I'm going to kill myself. I did not mean it, but he said to me "If you say that they will lock you away" That sounded like a vast improvement over what was happening with me.

I had an argument with a Case Supervisor because he said I was not ready to get clean. I said he didn't know what he was talking about that I requested Benadryl for hives, not to get "high" as if one could really get high on l Benadryl. Or asking for ibuprofen, which I needed for headaches that were blinding. Day after day and kept me awake at night.

I thought if I could see my family I would feel better. They lived in Las Vegas and when I asked when I would go there, they said they didn't know. Then an hour later, they pulled me out of sauna and told me to pack up,I was leaving in an hour. No one told me anything after that. We drove to the airport a two hour ride and then a 30 minute flight. I had no money for food, and the driver wouldn't give me any. I had missed lunch and was really sick. We then met another driver at the Las Vegas airport who did not tell us how long the drive was, but was mostly silent. It took over 3 hours. It was l0pm and I had not eaten since breakfast. We arrived at about 12am and were greated by a silent weird man who looked like Johnny Depp in the Pirates of the Caribbean. No lights, no food, no welcome. He tore my luggage apart (a little late, I was with someone from Narconon all the time and where would I have gotten something? He smelled my shampoo and conditioner bottles looked through books, etc. If someone had done this at Chapman house (the drug detox) I would maybe been saved the horror of Paxil withdrawl. There would have maybe been time to taper off.

I hated Nevada. It was unbearably hot ll0 degrees. I had to go to the sauna and was not sleeping. They told me I couldn't go in on such little sleep. I couldn't think clearly about the exercises and Objective 2 was done over and over and I felt like screaming. The l8 year old kid who did it with me had no explanation and was embarrased. Finally,overwhelmed by heat, exhaustion and anger. We had to pay over $25,000 right up front and I had no health insurance. They harassed my 85 year old mother while she gathered her funds. I had had enough. THis woman Melanie, was a real b-tch. She pretended to be interested in what I said and she clearly was not. She kept telling me I would eventually see the point of the objectives and everything would be clear.; She was condescending and mean. WHEN I spoke to my son who is in the army and was transferred to a dangerous area I asked how can I accept this? I only used drugs or alcohol to keep my fears at bay. I felt so helpless. No tools, no hope, When I asked Melanie how to deal with this "She said that's in Book 8" I was on book 4. AAARGH!

Finally things came to a head one Saturday when I had a very bad migraine. I asked for Ibuprofen, Tylenol anything. They said they don't have them and would't give it to anyone anyway. I said I have suffered enough. Take a Headache Pack. I did and threw it up. I called my family and asked to get me out of here. Melanie told my mother I was bulimic. (I am not.) My elderly mother was scared. She called my cousin who tried to convince me to stay. Melanie told her I couldn't leave. Then she told me my cousin didn't want me at her house. This was not true. Melanie had told her I was dangerous. They could take me to the airport and leave me there. How nice. Finally it came to me what the Ethics supervisor had said about "Putting me away if I threatened suicide" I had no intention of doing it. But the threat worked. I had broken the rules and they wanted to send me to the airport. They told my cousin I was suicidal and had to leave. Melanie told me I was in "HER" house and was a guest (a paying one) and I had to leave. I told her I was not going anywhere except to my cousin's. She assigned someone to watch me so I wouldn't 'kill myself'. It was desperation. Then she came back and asked me if I wanted to go back to San Diego. I was amazed, this is treatment for a suicidal person? As soon as we got out of there, an endless wait, the driver took me to a grocery store or shack out in the desert and bought me Tylenol PM. THat was all I needed, my headache stopped.

I know this is long, I wish I wrote it sooner than I did, I would have remembered more. I just know I did whatever I could to get out of there.
No one would admit to being a Scientologist but the amount of L. ROn Hubbard's books in the living rooms and classroom, his picture everywhere belied this. I am sober, clean by the Grace of God, who is not L. Ron Hubbard (what does the L stand for? Lunatic?) and meetings of AA and NA. Seven months now. Narconon convinced me I never want to go to rehab again and if that means I can't take drugs or alcohol, so be it.

P.S. I felt unsafe all the time I was there. The guy in Newport Beach was clean only 6 months and what did he know? He told me Addiction wasn't a disease even though it's been proven by the AMA. I had been clean for 5 years once and saw no real recovery in any of the staff. They were all very phony and as soon as you moved on to another stage, they ignored you. I felt scared all the time.

lucy skywalker

Post by lucy skywalker » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:20 pm

Dear Babs,

Thank you for sharing your story.

I am so sorry you had to experience this.

Glad you are out, safe and doing well!

Scientology and its front groups are really detrimental to ones health in all aspects, mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally. The more people that continue to speak out the greater the chance the truth will surface and this brutish entity will come to an end.

There are many lurkers on this mb. Your story will definitely help others.

All the best to you,

lucy

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:37 pm

Babs, wow, what a story. I am so glad you're sober now, in spite of that experience. What strength you have. I would have gone nuts. I haven't gone through any kind of withdrawal, except for Caffeine, and it's killer. THe headaches are murder. I can't imagine how bad that must have been for you.

I have read stories in the paper about that Newport Beach Narconon. I know the neighbors hate it, and the last I heard they were actually trying to expand. I read something in a Newport Beach newspaper from a city council member who thought it was a 12 step program. I hope they figured it out and nixed the petition to expand. It sound like it should be closed alltogether.

James

Post by James » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:51 pm

Babs,

what a story!

Your report clearly shows that Narconon is a scam as like Scientology is a scam.

Thanks for sharing it - you have to know that every published story might help somebody avoid the suffering you (for example) went through.

James
Love and compassion are not part of the tone scale

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:58 pm

The Rock River Times - Rockford, Illinois "Exploring the relationship of Narconon and Scientology"

http://www.rockrivertimes.com/index.pl? ... 6&id=12759

From the March 22-28, 2006, issue

Guest Column: Exploring the relationship of Narconon and Scientology

By Barbara Graham

In searching your online edition for drug-related articles, I noticed that a number of them are “press releases� from the Scientology organization.

These articles are a good example of how Narconon combines scientific, medical fact, blended with founder L. Ron Hubbard’s fanciful theories on drug abuse. The “press releases� you’re picking up are released on several newswires by Scientology’s Public Relations office. Of course, they hope that mainstream publications will print them. The main use of these pieces is within Scientology’s internal publications. By quoting their own releases, it gives the membership a sense that Narconon is highly regarded by the outside world in general.

This combination of fact and fiction serves to promote the Narconon program.

The facts about heroin addiction in this story are probably verifiable.

Heroin was first developed by Bayer, who produced a cough syrup called “Heroin.� The bottles are collectibles.

Many people segue to heroin use from methamphetamine use. Heroin will allow a meth user to “come down� after a long binge of being awake for days.

Narconon’s Web site has many “informative� pages focusing on different drugs that are abused. This information is not a result of their own research. They use this information to promote their own program, attempting to achieve legitimacy in the drug rehab field. However, this legitimacy is spurious. Narconon’s representatives try to distance the program from Scientology by stating that it isn’t Scientology, just “based on the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard.� This is Lie No. 1.

This is explored in a couple of excellent, well-researched and documented websites, http://narconon-exposed.org and http://stop-narconon.org.

The relationship of Narconon to Scientology is explored here:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/doctrines.htm

Not only is Narconon’s program identical to the courses purchased by public Scientologists, their position in Scientology’s corporate structure shows that they are, in fact, part of the Scientology corporation. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/organisations.htm

In 2005, the Narconon educational outreach program was reviewed by California. As a result, the program was expelled from California public schools as being inaccurate, misleading and unscientific theory. Hawaii and Boston followed suit. Narconon is no longer permitted to present its theories to public school children.

A series of articles about the issue was written by Nanette Asimov for the San Francisco Chronicle. These articles can be read here: http://stop-narconon.org/

While the Narconon theory has been debunked, the physical application of these theories continues within Narconon facilities. The Purification Rundown has been described by medical reviewers as being potentially dangerous to the health of clients, due to the excessive use of saunas and administration of toxic vitamin doses. Niacin, in particular, can cause blindness as well as permanent liver damage. Why Narconon is permitted to continue administering this dangerous quackery is a mystery. The FDA should shut them down.

When challenged, Narconon representatives claim it is a protected “religious� ritual. However, when selling the program to communities, they claim it is a secular program. This secularity surely makes them vulnerable to FDA scrutiny. Yet, for some reason, they manage to gain support at high levels of government. Politicians who support this program have been shown to benefit from campaign contributions from individual Scientologists. They also have failed to do any research on their own, preferring to depend upon the glossy promotional brochures put out by Narconon itself.

Anyone considering Narconon as a treatment option would do well to research it himself. Narconon treatment at best is fraudulent fantasy created by a science fiction writer and college dropout. At worst, it is a dangerous quack remedy for a very real societal problem.

Scientology draws much of its factual information about drugs from free informational pamphlets put out by the U.S. government. Your paper would be doing the public a better service by relying upon these publications, rather than inadvertently promoting Scientology’s dangerous and inaccurate program via spurious “press releases.�

Barbara Graham is a free-lance writer who has studied Scientology from a critical point of view since 1999.

From the March 22-28, 2006, issue

Return to “Narconon Exposed”