Missions

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
daisy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Missions

Post by daisy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:13 pm

What is the going rate to buy a mission franchise? If someone takes over a mission from someone else, do they have to pay Scientology Missions International money again? Is it a crime to close down a mission? If mission is a complete disaster, do the mission holders just keep saying they are mission holders even if the mission doesn't really exist anymore, except maybe in their minds.

Mission of Bay Cities, once in Concord, California is now in Benicia. In this nondescript building in the industrial section of our little city:

There is no sign anywhere and absolutely no foot traffic.

PTS
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by PTS » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:10 am

Here is the mission in Sarasota, Fl.
It is in a single family home which is slated to be torn down.
You may also purchase the structure for $3,000 and move it to your own lot.
1242 Boulevard of the Arts, Sarasota, FL 34236
The mission in Sarasota used to be housed in a store front, now it is here at this Mom & Pop location.
Here is their web-site.

http://www.findsarasota.com/Listing.asp?id=113482
Last edited by PTS on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:53 am

Last I heard (old data) is that a mission package was about $50,000. It included the licenses and all the books needed for the mission, plus a starter "book store" inventory. I'm sure it's much more than $50K now.
We are the architects of our own lives. Design and build the life you want.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:33 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the requirements in obtaining a "mission" is to sign an undated resignation. This disappears into "val-docs" (valuable document storage) somewhere. I don't know what the terms of resignation are but the resignation is written by scientology management and not by the mission holder.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

jax

Post by jax » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:51 am

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/editori ... x?id=37196
If you are David & Benetta Slaughter, you could purchase a defunct mission appraised at $440,500 for a mere $635,487.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

RedPill

Connecticut Missions

Post by RedPill » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:09 am

Back in the late 70's, 1980 and 1981, F. Brown McKee ran a chain of missions in Connecticut under the old Mission Office World Wide system. From time to time, Sea Ogres were sent out on missions to confer with Brown and other senior staff to rip off/recruit staff for the Sea Org, but especially to try to convince Brown to switch over to becoming an SMI mission. I remember him speaking once in either the summer of 1980 or 1981 about how something was radically wrong with this, how they were totally off policy, attempting to force these book sales, etc. I also remember in that time frame how either Brown or another senior staff at the mission stated that they had seen a TR-L, which was a training routine to get someone to become a totally convincing liar. I personally didn't see that bulletin, but I specifically remember an "experimental" TR called "verbal karate" which could be used in the course of dissemination if you were dealing with a heckler/joker-degrader/critic. Anyways, Brown was eventually declared, and not switching over to the SMI contract was at least part of the reason, I'm sure. I don't get why any mission holder would want to become involved with SMI with it's license to steal real estate clause. Bent Corydon spoke of this in his book, LRH, Messiah or Madman.

Do they still expect the mission holder to purchase the property, with a clause that they can steal it at will?

Pete

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:28 am

Thanks, Redpill. Can anyone post a copy of this contract that appears to let CoS seize the property. It sounds like an invalid contract to me. If CoS runs off with the only copy of the contract, that's extra fishy. I hope some mission holder, who is ready to be disconnected, contacts a good, non-CoS lawyer and defies CoS.
Let's imagine some options:

(1) The mission holder secretly sells the property to a naive buyer, ignoring/hiding any CoS claim on the property.
He or she could be sued for secretly selling the property if CoS later appears and contests the title against the naive new buyer, so this is something the lawyer needs to research.

(2) Mission holder tries to get out of the contract to minimize loss and get a clear title (or dump the greater-than-market-value mortgage on CoS to avoid personal bankruptcy) even if CoS becomes angry.
If CoS did some illegal act to artificially elevate the purchase price, getting a huge second mortgage, CoS taking the cash and then trying to get the mission holder to pay off this mortgage, that might have been bad old CoS taking advantage of a naive or trusting member who signed where he was told to sign. Now, the mission holder is angry that the market value has dropped, and he's itching to sue CoS. But CoS may have designed the deal so the mission holder may also be liable for the false overstatement of the purchase price, as a partner in crime or an accessory to a crime, or a co-conspirator. Sorry about not knowing the exact issues or phrases; I'm not a lawyer. This situation may take a huge amount of legal fees and time to resolve, since it would set an example for other mission holders.

(3) The mission holder could try a friendly overture to CoS to sell the property together, with no title problems or lawsuits, and then split the proceeds depending on some fair metric, like how much money the owner is liable to pay for the mortgage. The mission holder still needs a powerful outside lawyer for this.

(4) The mission holder sadly informs CoS that the mission building is being foreclosed, and lets CoS fight the bank for any cash receipts.

Those mission holders and maybe even CoS thought real estate prices would go up forever. Now they're screwed on the market value, and the missions aren't bringing in the recruits.
Any mission holders that got out of their bondage, please share the details. You may help others still in a pickle. And, any CoS member who is approached by CoS about a great opportunity to buy a mission, RUN!

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:32 am

Someone going into a mission deal is probably too far "in" and too far under control to even think of getting around the deal.

Nevertheless what they could do is.

1. Incorporate - create a corporate entity.
2. The corporate entity buys the building.
3. The corporate entity rents the building to the mission holder who pays the corporate entity something like $1 a month in rent.

If the deal with scientology goes sour, the mission holder exercises his "walk clause" with the landlord and moves his mission out of the building, which is still owned by the corporate entity that does not have a deal with scientology.

Actually, the mission holder should create two corporate entities. One to buy the building and the other to make the deal with scientology. If scientology doesn't go for it then there's no deal and no mission.

Of course all of that is hypothetical and won't happen because anyone who is "in" scientology will be too mind swamped to take any action to protect themselves and they will be so heavily subjected to a hard sell registrar action that they won't carry through with anything to protect themselves even if they think of it. When the deal is freshly done they will most likely come out of the action smiling, will probably write a success story and will most likely give three cheers to "LRH" in the bargain. They probably won't even ask for any foreplay.
Doris Lessing

WhiteTrashMessiah

Post by WhiteTrashMessiah » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:08 pm

From other posts I've read, there seems to be a huge trend in going from Orgs to "mission" type places recently. There have been a number of reports, first on EO then WWP, of people wondering if such-and-such Org was closed, only to find the operation had moved to some cut-rate apartment type property....

One of the latest was regarding an Org that was closed on the night of a raid for "renovation", but the operation was then discovered to be in a small office space on the second floor of a little building above a beauty salon.

Additionally, there seems to be an upswing in "missions" being opened up by legitimate business people within the places from which they do their day to day business from. If there's some kind of "takeover" clause in mission contracts, these people are gambling with their entire livelihoods.

Scientology is expanding! Yeah, right.
MAYHEM. MUTINY. ENTURBULATION.

"GMs aren't allowed to tell you but the bridge quest is bugged. Even after you complete all the objectives, it stays on your quest list and you keep losing money. Only way to stop it is to log out and uninstall."

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:59 pm

Another option, if the mission holder is trapped, is to go through the motions of running the mission while expecting, and getting poor results, and wait for CoS itself to crumble. This could work if the mission holder prefers to pay the mortgage for a few more years rather than disconnection/blackmail/lawsuits if he or she fights CoS. If CoS dissolves in scandal/lawsuits/bankruptcy/criminal convictions, the problem may solve itself.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:36 pm

Don Carlo wrote:Another option, if the mission holder is trapped, is to go through the motions of running the mission while expecting, and getting poor results, and wait for CoS itself to crumble. This could work if the mission holder prefers to pay the mortgage for a few more years rather than disconnection/blackmail/lawsuits if he or she fights CoS. If CoS dissolves in scandal/lawsuits/bankruptcy/criminal convictions, the problem may solve itself.
There are some problems with doing this.

The primary one is that scientology management will have it set up to get 30% of the mission's gross income. (10% to management, 10% to the office of special affairs, 10% to a reserve account only management can touch - if this kind of arrangement has changed let us know.) If those payments diminish, i.e., the mission becomes "downstat," that will invoke the part of the contract that allows scientology management to come in with the, now dated, resignation and take the property.

Another practice that happens in scientology is that management and the office of special affairs send things that are not ordered to "orgs" and "missions" and expect to be paid for them. If the payments are insufficient or slow the presigned resignation gets dated and invoked.

Unlike one of scientology's major claims, this is not a game that everyone wins.
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:40 pm

adhesion contract:
A contract that is so highly restrictive of one party’s rights and liabilities, but not of the other, that it is doubtful that it is a truly voluntary and uncoerced agreement. The concept typically arises in the context of standard-form contracts that are prepared by one party, not subject to negotiation, and offered on a “take it or leave it” basis. If the terms of the contract are extremely burdensome or oppressive, the court may not enforce it on the grounds that it is unconscionable. Also called contract of adhesion. See also boiler plate, fine print, and unconscionable.
from http://www.yourdictionary.com/contract
Law Definition: unconscionable: So harmful to the interests of one of the parties to an agreement or contract as to make that paper unenforceable and, therefore, null and void.
from http://www.yourdictionary.com/unconscionable

Wieber, CoS sure creates some unconscionable adhesion contracts. I retract my option that a mission holder could just go through the motions of running the mission. I thought that was happening at the inactive missions that I have driven by, but I see that the mission holder may just be mugged by CoS for money no matter how unsuccessful the mission is. Those mission holders should get a lawyer and fight, while they still have some money left to fight for.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:17 am

I think most mission holders could probably fight off scientology's unconscionable contracts and be successful. But first they have to decide to fight. But if you fight scientology management you risk being expelled from the "church" and losing any chance at your future "eternity." Step one for those mission holders is to read the picket signs the next time a picket comes around.

If anyone reading this, who is a scientology mission holder (I know, that's highly unlikely) here's the good news. scientology does not own eternity. For that matter scientology doesn't have much of a future either.
Doris Lessing

Dr. Donna Shannon

Post by Dr. Donna Shannon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:23 am

Daisy wrote:What is the going rate to buy a mission franchise? If someone takes over a mission from someone else, do they have to pay Scientology Missions International money again? Is it a crime to close down a mission? If mission is a complete disaster, do the mission holders just keep saying they are mission holders even if the mission doesn't really exist anymore, except maybe in their minds.
As a former "mission holder", I can tell you a little about the SMI racket. As is everything related to $cientology, it is another type of con to get money, beat the person into submission, and, if they get REALLY lucky, maybe con some new people into doing $cientology services, with no expenditure on the part of the cult.

Most of the "missions" NEVER exist anywhere but in the minds of the mission holders, or the minds of their "seniors". A person is badgered into contributing and disseminating; believe the word BADGERED.

So, after session, with plenty of endorphins stimulating the false euphoria brought on by low-level electric shock coupled with hypnotic suggestions, a person is pushed into becoming a mission holder. What does this really mean? It means, at the time I did it, you somehow come up with $40,000 for the package; that, alone, is really enough for the cult to have a big party and laugh at yet another FOOL!!!!

But, let's not stop at that.....the cult can make the person guilty because he or she doesn't BOOM the mission. They promise help, but guess what? You ALWAYS have to PAY for it. Suddenly they have a new tool that will BOOM YOUR MISSION- but oh yeah, it costs $500. And the SMI conference-more money.

Just try to find staff. What a joke. So, the poor schmuck either tries to run it from his house or business, which fails 99% of the time; sooner or later he either gives up or goes out & gets some horrible room that he can try to pay for out of his own money.

I got conned into the mission game just after L11. I had only been in $cientology about 7 months. I had my doubts that I could sell Dianetics books etc, but the euphoria just was TOO good, and they had that Russian guy there. Between him & Ayal Lindeman (who, I discovered over the years, is a complete loser- can't hold a job, never has 2 cents to his name, but is a con man, and therefore is considered a great asset by the cult), I was conned by Linda at SMI and Rudy Kempner of Planetary Dissemination into doing it. I donated money from my account, combined with money from my ex's account (he was declared an illegal PC and left the cult, so he allowed his money on account to go to my "mission").

SMI located a disgruntled $cientologist, some podiatrist, in Ft. Myers where I lived, who had purchased a mission package back in the 80's but never opened the mission (just like ex-Scienos & ex-SO, there are WAY more people who have old mission packages in their basement or garage or dumpster than there are missions). He, according to SMI, would donate his package to help out. He had actually never received it; so, we set out to track it down. It turned out that he had bought it at the San Francisco Mission, and apparently (that was before my time), the mission holder took the money & ran. This really annoyed the podiatrist, who had lots of money on account, which the cult then tried to get him to donate to me, but he was just pissed off, and wouldn't do it.

So, with all kinds of rosy promises of help from SMI & the SO, I went back to Ft. Myers, where $cientology didn't even exist (and still doesn't). Alone, there was no way I was going to sell books at the flea market. Hell, I HATE flea markets. I'd never even BEEN to the flea market there! So, nothing happened.

I was not made to sign any undated resignation forms, or any agreements to buy a building or property. This was in 1996. Now, there is a heavy push to get donations from others or yourself to buy buildings for the cult, but I didn't get involved in that.

So, shortly after, the cult sicced their "fringe con artists" on me. That was Richard ("Ricardo") Pascual, and Mark List. They came to Ft. Myers and pretended to help with the mission. That in itself is another whole story.

Of course, it never went anywhere, like 99% of the missions that are sold. After storing the crap (I never even got all of it) for several years, I donated it to the mission in West Palm Beach. Another failing pathetic attempt, if still there, it's tiny, and is open 2 hours a week or something.

So, at the time I signed up, a woman named Dusty bought a package as well. She was on her OT levels, and tried to open it in her house in Palm Harbor. She joined the Sea Org a few years later, got divorced, and closed the mission. Left the SO after about a year, and had her package in storage.

So, when I'm further "up the bridge", SMI sets in again, and convinces me to get the mission going. They donate me her package, which is all outdated, has been damaged by water in the storage unit, but they try to make me believe that I'm getting a REAL DEAL, to take this junk off their hands (I didn't pay any more money at that time, just to pay for the storage unit.) Ann Mannierre and Kathy Feshbach are the main pushers here. By this time, I'm living in Clearwater, and flying down to Ft. Myers to start this mission. (Another excuse to fly.)

I finally got a staff member- Roger Patterson. Roger was (is?) low on the "bridge", but was a decent guy. We rented a space in an office suite builing, way out of the way where NOBODY would ever find it, for $500 a month. By then, Kathy & Ann had their "Tampa Bay 10", their 10 missions around FLAG. Which, actually, never existed, for the most part. A few of us finally "opened" and got tax-exempt non-profit corporations, and so on; but, we were in & gone quickly.

During all this BS, I got onto OT VII, and got married, then joined the SO. This really pisses SMI off when this happens, but I got Roger to take it over, so I was off the hook. The non-profit corp is inactive now (didn't last past that first year).

Most of the missions never even get that far. So, the mission holders are considered "out-ethics" and it's just used as another whip to make them do services to "atone for their sins of omission".

I'm sure any mission holder can just walk away and will have no repercussions from the cult, except for the usual possible "declares", which are meaningless anyway, especially if YOU LEFT!!! No need to play that game any more!

At one point I was trying to run Colleen's mission in Sarasota, to help her get onto OT VII. The place she rented had HOOKERS and CRIMINALS and COPS outside all the time!!!! Never amounted to anything. So sad, that she's still struggling and still brainwashed.
"There's a place up ahead and I'm goin'
just as fast as my feet can fly
Come away, come away if you're goin',
leave the sinkin' ship behind." -John C. Fogerty, Creedence Clearwater Revival

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:43 am

Dr. Donna Shannon wrote:So, at the time I signed up, a woman named Dusty bought a package as well. She was on her OT levels, and tried to open it in her house in Palm Harbor. She joined the Sea Org a few years later, got divorced, and closed the mission. Left the SO after about a year, and had her package in storage. So, when I'm further "up the bridge", SMI sets in again, and convinces me to get the mission going. They donate me her package, which is all outdated, has been damaged by water in the storage unit, but they try to make me believe that I'm getting a REAL DEAL, to take this junk off their hands (I didn't pay any more money at that time, just to pay for the storage unit.)
That was Dusti Woodbury. I remember her telling me she had a mission.

Mission of Palm Harbor
565 Hammock Dr
Palm Harbor FL
784-7591

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/st ... dbury.html
We are the architects of our own lives. Design and build the life you want.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”