Worlds largest stress test table takedown by Angry Gay Pope

AngryGayPope

Worlds largest stress test table takedown by Angry Gay Pope

Post by AngryGayPope » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaS1L65ev3o

A lot of good looking young cultists were manning the world's largest stress test table. They were looking for dupes to sell Dianetics to. I broke it up and left one cocky cultist drained of his humanity! A very funny video on Hollywood Boulevard the day after Thanksgiving.

NOTE: Date at beginning of video should read 11/26/2010 not 11/16.

J. Swift

Re: Worlds largest stress test table takedown by Angry Gay P

Post by J. Swift » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:27 pm

AGP, it looks like LAPD was very impartial. I am glad to see that. What happened when you turned off the camera? What did LAPD say?

The "free stress test" tables are horribly out of date in 2010. They look like a 1950-1970's era marketing ploy for some kind of sinister cult. Oh wait. Scientology is a sinister 1950's era cult. Hence, the "free stress test" tables.

Seriously, Cult of Scientology, free stress tests went out of date along with the Hare Krishna's hitting on people for money at airports. Going forward into 2011, I would deploy the meter in a more dramatic, updated way that tunes into contemporary anxiety. "Stress" does not mean anything. It is too generalized of a concept. I would dial in and do a sort of "E-Meter Street Theater" that out-created AGP. It would be so easy with some creativity. However, the Scilons are locked into "patter drills" that worked in NYC thirty or forty years ago. NYC in 1968 is not Hollywood in 2010. That is only one of the Cult's numerous misunderstoods on Culture. For example, what is chic now is an iPhone. Why is there no iPhone app for the E-Meter? These are the kinds of questions I would ask -- and I will ask them when and if I am ever elected to take over CoS.

AGP, have you ever thought of contacting the People's Cube? Your work might play very well there and gain additional support: http://thepeoplescube.com/

AGP, I think you should expand your base and gain more exposure. It really is something to see Scientologists packing up instead of just talking to you or ignoring you. Why CoS cannot come to gentle cause over AGP is baffling to me. It is amusing that the Angry Gay Pope causes CoS to grind to a halt in its power base of Hollywood.

AGP, great job!

/////

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/

AngryGayPope

What the cops said

Post by AngryGayPope » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:51 pm

J. Swift wrote:AGP, it looks like LAPD was very impartial. I am glad to see that. What happened when you turned off the camera? What did LAPD say?

Oh yes LAPD was perfectly impartial. There were large amounts of police in the area because of something gone wrong at sunset/highland a few blocks away. You can see them in the bknd of some shots. When they drove up I thought the Sci's had called them. But the cops were just passing by. They asked me to turn my camera completely off. Sometimes I even take out the batteries, but not this time.

I told them who I was and what we did as we watch the stress tables fold. I said I was recording OSHA violations at winter wonderland and was heading to author services when I stumbled over the world's largest stress test table. The cop said he didn't think COS was any weirder than the jesus freaks on the corner. I told him some of the stuff they do but I said "it doesn't matter what you think as long as you are here to babysit us all." They said the female scientologists were concerned that I would follow them. After a bit they said I could go on to author services and that I could record them saying good bye.

Stumbling over the stress test table was shock. There were once a lot of t-shirt hawkers and other tables in this area of Hwd/highland. But the mall must have put a stop to that because I have not seen any tables set up selling anything in this area in at least a year. Suddenly I looked across the street and realized that not only was the Cult back, it had four tables going and a lot of people interested. Worse, somebody bought something. Something had to be done about it!

In almost three years of protesting I have NEVER seen ANYONE buy ANYTHING from them before. Wow!

Gnu
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What the cops said

Post by Gnu » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:11 pm

AngryGayPope wrote:
Stumbling over the stress test table was shock. There were once a lot of t-shirt hawkers and other tables in this area of Hwd/highland. But the mall must have put a stop to that because I have not seen any tables set up selling anything in this area in at least a year. Suddenly I looked across the street and realized that not only was the Cult back, it had four tables going and a lot of people interested. Worse, somebody bought something. Something had to be done about it!

In almost three years of protesting I have NEVER seen ANYONE buy ANYTHING from them before. Wow!
I think they were just there because of the holiday tourists and shoppers. Having tables out is still not a regular thing. They should have enough members to do it more often. They will appear in front of longsign...but not consistently. And I only remember them doing this multiple table thing in this area a while back to coincide with a protest going on at author services, to draw protesters away I think.
"Wisdom comes by disillusionment."
George Santayana

J. Swift

Post by J. Swift » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:15 pm

Having Scilon free stress test tables equated with the t-shirt hawkers and Jesus Freaks on Hollywood Blvd is a tremendous win. CoS might as well throw in the towel and just sell $1.00 churros at its stress test tables. People will buy tasty churros for $1.00 and that would result in stats.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/

Wieber
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Wieber » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:02 am

I'm going to ramble on stress test tables if you don't mind. If you do mind, go on to the next posting.

If some of this seems a bit like déjà vu that's because I've gone over this before elsewhere. But I may come up with some stuff I haven't done before.

Stress test tables are set up to sell copies of Dianetics : The Modern Science of Mental Health (DMSMH) and get the name and contact information from the person buying the book. I qualify the title of the book because there are a number of books that L. Ron Hubbard wrote that start with "Dianetics" in the title. Examples are Dianetics 55, Dianetics : Science of Survival and Dianetics : The Original Thesis.

I do not know whether a person is counted as a scientologist if they only buy a book and give their contact information but for sure within twenty-four hours of them buying a book and giving their contact information there will be a manila folder with their name on it and a copy of their sales receipt in it in the org that sold them a book. From then on they will receive mailings from scientology. Do the book sellers disclose that information? They will if asked, but they will down play it.

The red table cloths and tee shirts that the stress test book sellers were wearing are part of the stress test action that was originally done in New York. There was an extensive piece done on the New York Stress Test Tables in an event for which there is a DVD. I am not absolutely sure but I think it is on the same set of DVDs that went with the IAS event in which Tom Cruise went "Woosh!" while wearing a black turtleneck. If you can get a hold of that DVD you will see David Miscavige wearing one of the special Dianetics jackets. (As if he ever sold a copy of DMSMH to a public person.)

The stress test tables are a division six (distribution division (Dist)) activity. The books are a division two item (dissemination division (Dissem)). Division six gets the statistic for "new names to central files" (NNCF) and division two gets two statistics for number of books sold and dollar value of the books sold.

Most likely in Angry Gay Pope's video the people manning the tables are most likely not scientology staff members but public people at the local org. That's probably one reason why they look so good. The older woman who did not look so good probably is a staff member. Take another look at her and see if she doesn't look sleep deprived to you. The stress test tables being out at night indicate that they are part of the "foundation org" for whatever scientology building from which they came.

This is how the tables are organized. Each table has two testers, one at either end with an e-meter. There is a third person at each table who oversees the table, does the barking to get people to take a test, restocks the books and essentially runs the table. With more than one table there will be another person present as an "in charge" (I/C). I thought the older woman involved held that position but it may have been the person making the call on the cell phone. The other possibility is that there were two people overseeing all the tables.

Most likely the people operating the e-meters are not ministers of the so called church and have not done a metering course or any auditor training. They might be ministers but it is unlikely. By minister I mean auditor as all auditors in scientology become ordained as ministers of the so called church after they complete their "internship."

The video gives the time as 11:45 p.m. Most orgs close at 9 p.m. or 10 p.m. Even though Angry Gay Pope got them to take their stuff down they likely were there for three or four hours prior to that and from their attitude they probably sold quite a few books. The public people involved would most likely have arrived at the org around 5 or 6 p.m., had a briefing on what they would be doing and had quotas given to them for the night. Again judging from the celebratory meeting between two of them on the video this group either made their quotas or were coming very close to doing so when Angry Gay Pope found them.

Will they be out again? Probably. This is looked on as a "successful action" and David Miscavige, I believe, receives L. Ron Hubbard's royalties from book sales. Whether that's the case or not he is very much behind this activity, although not necessarily directly. The odds are that when they go out again they will have been briefed on Angry Gay Pope or they will go with one or two office of special affairs (OSA) members.

Angry Gay Pope, I know you like to wade in and that's good, but if you should happen on this activity again, could you possibly spend a little more time doing reconnaissance before busting it up? Another possible enturbulating activity that could be engaged in would be to hand out a small flier about one or two blocks away from the tables. The flier should briefly tell people what happens when scientology gets their contact information. That will dry up the book sales and significantly raise the stress level of the stress testers, especially those who are staff members. It would be interesting to see how long such fliers can be handed out before the stress testers find out about it.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:08 am

It's sad because alot of the "volunteers" at the stress tables are 2nd generation Scios either agreeing to contribute some hours to the cult, or their parents ordered them to be there. The "even exchange" rule applies.

The dope in the red shirt was funny. All over AGP with his taunts until he called AGP's presence in to his superiors; all of a sudden, red shirt dope went silent and tried to advertise the stress test while AGP was standing in front of him. Most of these Scio kids are OK standing up to the evil SPs until they report in.. then their demeanors change..

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:42 am

Smurf wrote:The dope in the red shirt was funny. All over AGP with his taunts until he called AGP's presence in to his superiors; all of a sudden, red shirt dope went silent and tried to advertise the stress test while AGP was standing in front of him. Most of these Scio kids are OK standing up to the evil SPs until they report in.. then their demeanors change..
Their demeanor changed when AGP started talking about Xenu and OTIII. I guess their call into the superiors clinched their worries.

AGP, I liked the little "silent movie" inserts in your video.
We are the architects of our own lives. Design and build the life you want.

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:57 am

Smurf wrote: Most of these Scio kids are OK standing up to the evil SPs until they report in.. then their demeanors change..

What do you think they were told over the phone? I'm dangerous? Ignore me? I was very curious at the time. Of course all of them are yakking away.

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:05 am

Wieber wrote:Angry Gay Pope, I know you like to wade in and that's good, but if you should happen on this activity again, could you possibly spend a little more time doing reconnaissance before busting it up?
I found your description of the stress test tables very interesting even though I don't understand all the sci jargon. I will add it to my website. I've never seen four of these tables at once. I've only seen up to two. Is four considered a lot? I know they are pumping it up for the holiday parade.

I tried to stay pretty low key but that lady "Clowdia" was whining right away. Then eventually the red shirt guy went after me and I had to enturbulate not spy. I tell you, it was hard not to annoy them when I saw a copy of Dianetics being sold!

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:07 pm

In the video I mentioned there were a lot more than four tables. There were crowds of people lining up to take the tests as well. I have my suspicion now that what was shown on the video was staged.

I don't know what the laws are in Los Angeles but many communities require the purchase of special permits to sell things on the street. If there is such a requirement in Los Angeles, when the police show up, it might be worthwhile to make a quiet and polite inquiry to the police as to whether the people at the stress test tables have such a permit.

When I was selling those books the book selling crew and I almost got arrested for not having such a permit. At that time (in the seventies) in that place the permit cost $500 per year per seller. We never went back there.
Doris Lessing

Gnu

Post by Gnu » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:29 pm

Wieber wrote:In the video I mentioned there were a lot more than four tables. There were crowds of people lining up to take the tests as well. I have my suspicion now that what was shown on the video was staged.

I don't know what the laws are in Los Angeles but many communities require the purchase of special permits to sell things on the street. If there is such a requirement in Los Angeles, when the police show up, it might be worthwhile to make a quiet and polite inquiry to the police as to whether the people at the stress test tables have such a permit.

When I was selling those books the book selling crew and I almost got arrested for not having such a permit. At that time (in the seventies) in that place the permit cost $500 per year per seller. We never went back there.

I am curious about that as well. The street performers dressed as various characters who are back ask for donations (there was a crack down when the more aggressive ones demanded a donation). They are back on first amendment grounds and I have read nothing where they need permits. But scientology will not give away books or ask for donations...but have a set price. So this seems like an angle to be pursued. I know it has been brought up before, but I am not sure of any resolution in Hollywood. These tables were not in front of their own property, like longsign, if that makes a difference.
"Wisdom comes by disillusionment."
George Santayana

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:44 pm

I really wonder how scientologists get away with putting public people on an E-Meter for a fake "Stress Test" when the FDA has ruled that on every E-meter and in many of the scientology books the following disclaimer must be present:

HUBBARD ELECTROMETER MANUFACTURING

By itself, this meter does nothing. It is solely for the guide of
Ministers of the Church in Confessionals and pastoral counselling. The
Electrometer is not medically or scientifically capable of improving the
health or bodily function of anyone and is for religious use by students
and Ministers of the Church of Scientology only. HUBBARD, E-METER and
SCIENTOLOGY are trademarks and service marks owned by RTC and used with its permission.

Next time you see a VM ask to turn over the emeter to make sure this legally required disclaimer is there. Ask if they tell unsuspecting people that this stress test is really "Pastoral Counseling".

See also:

Secrets of Scientology: The E-Meter http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Secrets/E-Meter/

It might also be a good idea to ask if the poor deluded adherent sitting there offering "stress tests" is in fact a "Minister". Ask to see his credentials. Ask if he has passed the new GAT e-meter course.

I hear the new "GAT" e-meter course is a bear, takes months to complete. Plus, you have to do all the prerequisites before you can even take the e-meter course.

It would be my educated guess that most of the people sent out to sit on street corners or in parking lots are new recruits or Div 6 (Public Division)staff or public VMs (Volunteer Ministers, a few hours of Div 6 training) who have no tech training at all.
[i]"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH[/i]

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:48 pm

More info in this article:

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/0 ... 515418.php

Quote:
The Scientology cult was ordered by US Federal judge Gerhardt Gesell in 1971 to place very explicit and detailed warning labels on each of their special gizmo "E-Meter" devices, as well as on all documents and publications in which the E-Meter is mentioned. The E-Meter is just a primitive lie-detector machine, but to Scientologists it is simply a fantastic apparatus. After a brief initial gesture of compliance, Scientology proceeded to disregard virtually every aspect of Judge Gesell's ruling.

[img]640_emeter.jpg[/img]
original image ( 1200x800)

Some questions and answers:

Is it important to adhere to a Federal judge's ruling? Yes.

Who said Scientology could drastically modify the judge's explicit order about the warning labels? Nobody.

Who said they could ignore many aspects of the order? Nobody.
Is stress a health condition? Yes.

Who said Scientology could resume using the e-meter as a device for diagnosing health conditions? Nobody.

Is a sidewalk stress-test with a passers-by "pastoral counseling"? No.

How about "bona-fide religious counseling"? No.

Is it "secular use"? Yes.

Do Scientology web pages and printed materials about the E-Meter and auditing provide the required warnings? No.

Scientology's E-Meter warning labels of the year 2008 have an extremely mild and watered down version of what Judge Gesell had ordered, and it is affixed to the bottom of the gadget, where no-one is likely to see it anyway.

Doing it this way helps Scientology with one of its main cash-cow businesses and recruitment strategies, offering free "Stress Tests" to people on city sidewalks, street-fairs, and other such venues. After the "stress test," in which the subject is told that yes, he or she is indeed under stress, and that bad things are probably going to happen. The solution, they say, is to buy a copy of their "Dianetics" book for $23, and then come on down to the "org" for some more auditing.

How it all got started.

In the early 1960s, the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) realized that Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard and his acolytes were claiming that "auditing" with the E-Meter could help to diagnose and treat a variety of illnesses. Auditing, one of Scientology's core practices, is based on the notion that the E-Meter can reveal a person's mental state, past lives, and other odds and ends of the unconscious mind.

This is done through intensive questioning by an "Auditor," as the subject holds the E-Meter and the Auditor leads him or her through a sort of guided hypnagogic fantasizing.

Because Scientology believes that illness is caused by the presence of "suppressive persons," and not germs, toxins, genetics or other causes, Hubbard and the Scientologists were spreading the word that the E-Meter could help root out the suppressive people in one's life, thereby curing a variety of illnesses and health conditions, raising IQ, and making one successful in every way. This, of course, was complete nonsense.

In 1963, the FDA seized more than 100 E-Meters from the cult's offices in Washington, DC. Thus began 8 years of litigation, with lots of dramatic highlights that I will not discuss here. On July 30, 1971 Judge Gesell reluctantly ruled that Scientology must, indeed, legally be considered a "religion," but only because the US Government had neglected to do anything about it earlier.

Unfortunately the Government did not move to stop the practice of Scientology and a related "science" known as Dianetics when these activities first appeared and were gaining public acceptance. Had it done so, this tedious litigation would not have been necessary. The Government did not sue to condemn the E-meter until the early 1960's, by which time a religious cult known as the Founding Church of Scientology had appeared.

Gesell ruled that the Scientologists could keep on auditing and using the E-Meter, but they were forbidden to make any claims that it could diagnose, prevent or treat any health condition.

Moreover, they were only to use it under the strictest of "religious" contexts, and they were to prepare warning notices that could be prominently seen on the E-Meter as well as in any literature or publication about the E-Meter or the auditing process. "The effect of this judgment," Gesell wrote, "will be to eliminate the E-meter as far as further secular use by Scientologists or others is concerned."

Here are the key elements of Judge Gesell's ruling, in "bullet point" form:

The device may be used or sold or distributed only for use in bona fide religious counseling.

Unless an ordained Scientology minister, any user, purchaser or distributee must file an affidavit with the Secretary of the Food and Drug Administration stating the basis on which a claim of bona fide religious counseling is made, together with an undertaking to comply with all conditions of the judgment so long as the E-meter is used.

The device should bear a prominent, clearly visible notice warning that any person using it for auditing or counseling of any kind is forbidden by law to represent that there is any medical or scientific basis for believing or asserting that the device is useful in the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of any disease.

It should be noted in the warning that the device has been condemned by a United States District Court for misrepresentation and misbranding under the Food and Drug laws, that use is permitted only as part of religious activity, and that the E-meter is not medically or scientifically capable of improving the health or bodily functions of anyone.

Each user, purchaser, and distributee of the E-meter shall sign a written statement that he has read such warning and understands its contents and such statements shall be preserved.

Any and all literature which refers to the E-meter or to auditing, including advertisements, distributed directly or indirectly by the seller or distributor of the E-meter or by anyone utilizing or promoting the use of the E-meter, should bear a prominent notice printed in or permanently affixed to each item or such literature, stating that the device known as a Hubbard Electrometer, or E-meter, used in auditing, has been condemned by a United States District Court on the grounds that the literature of Dianetics and Scientology contains false and misleading claims of a medical or scientific nature and that the E-meter has no proven usefulness in the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of any disease, nor is it medically or scientifically capable of improving any bodily function.

Where the notice is printed in or affixed to literature, it should appear either on the outside front cover or on the title page in letters no smaller than 11-point type.

The E-meter should not be sold to any person or used in any counseling of any person except pursuant to a written contract, signed by the purchaser or counselee, which includes, among other things, a prominent notification as specified immediately above.

Scientology's version:

Instead of following these highly detailed and very explicit instructions, Scientology's "warning" label, placed discreetly underneath the contraption, reads as follows:

"By itself, this meter does nothing. It is solely for the guide of Ministers of the Church in Confessionals and pastoral counseling. The Electrometer is not medically or scientifically capable of improving the health or bodily function of anyone and is for religious use by students and Ministers of the Church of Scientology only."

How can this be?

How can this be happening, that a Federal judge's extremely clear ruling is so blatantly ignored by a money-hungry cult, with its stress test tables constantly seen in totally secular, public contexts; attempting to diagnose stress in hundreds of people every day;

Why hasn't the FDA cracked down? Why hasn't anyone enforced Judge Gesell's order?

We don't know for sure. It very likely has to do with Scientology's horrible reputation for lawsuits and personal blackmail, which is the means by which in 1993 it regained its official, tax-exempt "religion" status in the USA (to the utter shock and surprise of all who had been following the Internal Revenue Service proceedings). Perhaps the FDA feels intimidated by the cult, which is well known for its "fair game" practices of stalking and harassing any critic or perceived enemy.

But things have changed.

Since the beginning of 2008, much has changed in the way the world and the general public view the Scientology cult. The worldwide "Anonymous" peaceful protests and demonstrations have brought a tremendous amount of light and clarity to Scientology's secretive and immoral practices. People no longer see Scientology as merely a weird and harmless cult. People have begun to understand Scientology's "disconnection" policy, through which families are destroyed; people now know about its internal carceral gulag called the "Rehabilitation Project Force"; people now know about Scientology's motto of "Always attack, never defend"; people now know that the cult owns a 500-foot luxury cruise ship for tax-deductible Caribbean cruises for Scientologists; people now know that Scientology was well aware that this ship internal structures and ventilation systems were filled with highly carcinogenic blue asbestos, yet did nothing about until port authorities forced them to do so, 21 years later. People now know that Scientology really is what Time Magazine declared them to be in 1991: The Cult of Greed.

Let us see whether the FDA and other US Federal authorities are really interested in enforcing the law, by putting an immediate stop to Scientology stress test tables; by making Scientology observe each and every one of Judge Gesell's required warnings; and by making Scientology leaders accountable for their flagrant disregard an important judicial ruling.
[i]"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH[/i]

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:36 pm

One more little thing.

This comes from a consumer advocate program that I saw on television.

A consumer advocate said, "If you have to pay something it isn't free."

They went on to explain that if after a "free" demonstration of a product you were than pressured to buy something then the thing that was proffered as "free" wasn't actually free and therefore the promotion for it is fraudulent.

When the stress testers sit a person down and attach them to an e-meter the intent is not to give them a free stress test but to sell them a copy of DMSMH. The patter of the stress test is designed to lead the person taking the test into a book sale. Therefore it is not actually free. Therefore the advertisement for it is fraudulent.
Doris Lessing

Return to “PICKET REPORTS”