The Beginner's Guide to L. Ron Hubbard

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Causeandeffect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Causeandeffect » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:07 pm

4 September, Channel 4, 11pm

Comedian and writer Hardeep Singh Kohli tries to find spiritual enlightenment through the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard in The Beginner's Guide to L. Ron Hubbard. Rejected by the Church of Scientology, Hardeep finds a warmer welcome with 'Ron's Org', a group of unauthorised 'freezoners' who split from the Church in the 1980s. The question is: will he get God?

Gotta be worth a look? Maybe he'll get some so-called 'gains'? ;)

Ok, that's it. As you were, people.
Last edited by Causeandeffect on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

joolie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by joolie » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:09 pm

Got it on my list to watch tonight! should be a laugh! :D

'Alert'

Post by 'Alert' » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:13 pm

I guess I'll have to wait for this Comedy to appear on the WEB somewhere before I get to see it. From what I've read at the Channel4 site, iyt certainly wont have raw meat rushing off to get on the Brdge to Total Freedom
The Beginner's Guide to L Ron Hubbard

Comedian Hardeep Singh Kohli is consumed with curiosity about Scientology and its founder, L Ron Hubbard. But his quest requires dealing with rejection by the Church of Scientology and a lot of talking, reading and travelling.

Hardeep's parents instilled in him the Sikh perspective that there are many roads to God so, despite widespread criticisms of the Church of Scientology, he's happy to attempt to investigate its beliefs. Founded by sci fi writer L Ron Hubbard in the 1950s, Scientology has some high profile celebrity supporters but is extremely reluctant to share its secrets.

The Church of Scientology refuses to participate in Hardeep's programme. But he finds a way to learn some of its secrets through the Freezoners – defectors who say they practise the philosophy of L Ron Hubbard outside the church.

He is told that the philosophy has many layers, that it's not easy to learn but is worth persevering with because it will improve his life but he is worried about rumours that Scientology and its offshoots use brainwashing. Hardeep finds a mentor to guide him through the principles of their religion, who takes him on a long train journey to a disused children's summer camp building hidden deep in snowy Russia, where the number of followers is growing. Here he will receive his basic training.

Hardeep reads and reads. The book is simple but bizarre. He understands each individual word, he says, but not what they mean all together. His mentor says he should keep reading. He is being prepared for 'auditing', a process of one-to-one questions and answers, while the person being 'audited' holds a device that, according to devotees, measures the body's stress.

As well as reading, he has to make models in plasticine to 'give physical form to mental force'. Hardeep makes a model of dogs having sex – he has a problem with authority! But he has to pass each stage before being allowed to move on the next.

He and his mentor also do role-plays of the one-to-one 'auditing' to see whether they can make the other person react emotionally. The questions and answers are repetitive, simple and, in this weird setting, isolated from his own world, it is starting to make sense.

The 'auditing' session arrives and Hardeep's fears of brainwashing return. Holding on to the 'e-meter', he talks about what he wants to change in his life, puts some of his fears into words, and emerges from the session feeling 'lightheaded'. Did Hardeep find God through the teachings of L Ron Hubbard. 'That would be a tall order in two weeks,' he says.
"If anyone talks about a "road to Freedom" he is talking about a linear line. This, then, must have boundaries. If there are boundaries there is no freedom." - Dianetics 55

juju

Post by juju » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:51 pm

Hello all!

I hope it is worth the wait.

I've been shilling it to all I know for the past couple of days.

I'm sure it will be preserved on the net soon- what isn't?

with ARC

Juju

hartley

Post by hartley » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:33 am

I just watched and taped it.

Oh dear.

Some of you are not going to like this one. I mean really not like it.

The brief summary is at the head of this thread. This is in fact the first of three programmes, tomorrow we get Peaches Geldorf on Islam.

The concept is that a presenter who knows nothing about a religion goes along and tries it out. Some of the background to this has been covered on OCMB already - briefly CoS(UK) was interested but Los Angeles dumped on it. On the programme an extract from the rejection letter was given, saying that having a comedian as the presenter was an insult.

The program began with a montage of pictures and videos. We saw Miscavige giving a speech, a shot of the gates of Saint Hill, flying saucers with an overvoice explaining past lives and auditing.

The first actual scientologist to appear was Roland, American Freezoner, in a videolink conversation. He went through the Freezone/Church split, dating it to the 1982 takeover. The main contact was however Domenic (sp?), billed as 'the highest level Church member to defect for over a decade', presumably they meant in the UK.

Ron's Org was clearly identified as being a small association of groups who had left the church.

Domenic took the presenter via Germany and Switzerland to the Ron's Org training camp in Russia, reading Hubbard books along the way. There he went through a pre-auditing course, including stuff familiar to us such as bull-baiting and clay modelling. At the end extracts were shown of his first auditing session. I'm not qualified to judge how much any of this differed from how the cult does things.

Some of the people in Switzerland and at the camp were filmed in conversation. The presenter's ongoing question was "do you believe in God", to which they gave different and personal answers.

All scientologists are banned in Germany from government employment, Church members or no. I didn't know that.

The presenter found, as us outsiders do, that scientology was confusing and somewhat wierd at first, but once he saw the purpose of what he was doing he went along with it. He spotted some things, missed others.

Yes, the alien stuff was mentioned briefly, but this was not an investigative documentary so it wasn't pushed.
ARSCC Demographics Department
Still looking for 9,950,000 scientologists.
http://news-from-bree.blogspot.com/
http://www.newsfrombree.co.uk/

TPark

Post by TPark » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:11 am

Some background I have knowing Dominic. At one point Dominic was
ready to give up and was really pissed off with Hardeep. And Hardeep
also got pissed off with Dominic and wanted to stop filming. In the end they resolved matters and bonded. The conflicts shown in the final programme are minor compared to the actual conflicts that existed.

xenutv

Post by xenutv » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:34 am

Okay...who's got a copy?

joolie

Post by joolie » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:31 am

One in the foot for the so called church!

It showed Ron's Org in a very positive light and the Church as a security guarded unwilling place.

Ron's Org looked busier than St Hill was when I was around.

juju

Post by juju » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:14 am

This is a foot bullet Joolie, your right about that. Even a splinter member myself, I did not expect a TV show that good. I think the participants all worked well together.

The snap shot of DM was very quaint.

Regarding Rons Org, I do believe that Saint Hill is busier now than what it was, the car park is always full, however it does show that many splinter groups have as many if not more members.

For some reason Joolie I feel like I know you. Do you have a V in your intials?

ARC

Juju

joolie

Post by joolie » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:48 am

Hi Juju,

I had hoped that I might recognise a few people last night but I didn't.

I was around in the 80's and 90's at St Hill and Brighton Mission just before it became an Org.

No 'V' though.

Causeandeffect

Post by Causeandeffect » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:14 am

That was a strange and exasperating programme. The presenter went in with an open mind and barely a whiff of critical thinking. The result? He left with a fairly positive feeling about Scientology - and thought it did benefit people.

But.

His experience lasted just two weeks. Hardly enough time to roll under Scientology's stinking cultic underbelly: the excommunciations; critic handling methods; rejection of external media influences, and so on.

He experienced all the good bits that most never doubt exist when you first try Scientology for size. The endorphin-like rush of being among fellow spiritual travellers. The feeling of lightness and betterment when you discuss a problem from the past.

The trouble was, the presenter mistook these short-term positives for possible lasting enlightment.

And that, as he would discover if he'd researched Scientology more closely, couldn't be further from the truth.

TPark

Post by TPark » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:46 pm

Strange comments. He was somewhat critical, and clearly a handfull.
The Freezone dosn't practice disconnection organisationally. The methods of handling critics in the FZ are as severe as this. Me responding to you here.

As to the rejection of media influences, Hardeep is of the media. A TV presenter and comedian among other things. And
the whole production crew were allowed to film in the training centre.
I do confess I don't know what loophole in the course supervisor pack allows that. :)

http://www.freewebs.com/techoutsidethecofs

hartley

Post by hartley » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:52 pm

Causeandeffect wrote:That was a strange and exasperating programme. The presenter went in with an open mind and barely a whiff of critical thinking. The result? He left with a fairly positive feeling about Scientology - and thought it did benefit people.
My impression was that if the people he met had been feeding him PR he would have picked it up. They certainly came across on camera as genuine believers expressing their genuine beliefs. He picked up on the analogy with the Reformation - these were the Protestant scientologists. My chief qualm about the program would be that I hope this came across sufficiently clearly to the viewers since no one went into specifics about what was wrong with the cult, just that they were happier outside it.

A couple of points. On the train to Russia there was a scene where Hardeep was asking Dominic, his mentor, to explain a passage in one of Hubbard's books. As we know that isn't how things are done in Scientology, and Dominic was struggling to put that across without actually spelling it out! Later Hardeep said that he grasped that eventually, that students were supposed to work things out for themselves.

He was impressed that what he was reading (Source) was accessible to ordinary people. There is as we know some pretty incompehensible to outsiders stuff in the secret scriptures but none of that is given to new recruits, and he didn't seem to have grasped that scientology is in part an esoteric religion.
ARSCC Demographics Department
Still looking for 9,950,000 scientologists.
http://news-from-bree.blogspot.com/
http://www.newsfrombree.co.uk/

Hubbard's Mushroom

Post by Hubbard's Mushroom » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:39 pm

++++++++++++ SACRED CULT SCRIPTURE +++++++++++++

_Organised religion tries to control, so therefore must be lying._

After a while it figures out (even itself) that it is lying, and then it
starts down tone scale further and further, and all of a sudden people get
down along this spring-like bottom (heresy) and say, "Are we going into
apathy and die, or are we going to revolt?" and they revolt, because you
can only lie to people so long. Unfortunately there is always a new cycle
of lying.

-- L. Ron Hubbard
Technique 88

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

juju

Post by juju » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:22 pm

Having read the last few posts,

I would say that Hardeep entered Scientology like any other person would- fearful of brainwshing, which he mentioned many times. I think many ordinary people would have reacted in a similar fashion.

Things such as regging for large sums of money, IAS rallies, picketing, disconnection, over the top tone 40, do not happen in the Freezone (well I have yet to see it) and therefore Hardeep was free of many of the negative aspects of the Church. Had he received services at Saint Hill, he may have wanted to go to an event and that would have been quite something!

Obviously two weeks in not long enough. Hopefully he will continue.

best regards

Juju

Return to “Opinions & Debate”