The Miscavige Legal Statements – a study in Perjury, Lies

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SME
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Miscavige Legal Statements – a study in Perjury, Lies

Post by SME » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:11 am

“The Miscavige Legal Statements – a study in Perjury, Lies and Misdirection”
– Posting #8 – October 24, 2008

As covered in the first posting of this series, I am here listing quotes by David Miscavige contained in one or more legal documents.

I. David Miscavige’s Quotes:

From DECLARATION OF DAVID MISCAVIGE – Church of Scientology International vs. Steven Fishman and Uwe Geertz – 8 February 1994
(link - http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/l ... #armstrong )”

“8. RTC was formed with the specific purpose of seeing that the religion of Scientology was kept pure and true to the source materials of the religion. In fact, a major reason for its formation was to have such a Church organization that performed these functions in a capacity entirely separate from the actual management of the various Churches and Missions of Scientology. Not only is RTC not involved in the management of the international hierarchy of Scientology churches, but its very existence and performance of its true functions depends on the fact that it is NOT part of Church management. The authority of the Religious Technology Center stems from the ownership of the trademarks of Dianetics and Scientology”.

II. The truth about the subject matter quoted:

There are several parts of this section of the declaration that are either lies or at least misleading in their own rite. Let’s start with the first part:

“RTC was formed with the specific purpose of seeing that the religion of Scientology was kept pure and true to the source materials of the religion”.

For at least seven years prior to the formation of RTC or the rise in power of David Miscavige I personally oversaw the registration of many trademarks and service marks in the name of L. Ron Hubbard. I oversaw this in the United States from mid 1975 through mid 1976 as the Legal Branch I Director of the United States Guardian’s Office. I oversaw this world wide from mid 1976 through mid 1981 as the Legal Branch I Director of the World Wide Guardian’s Office.

The reason that we registered every trademark/service mark that we could is that we were following the instructions of L. Ron Hubbard who wrote in one of his policies something along the line of “When in doubt copyright it. Copyright and trademark anything and everything”.

The perceived benefits to doing this were to be able to use all these intellectual property rights to stop “unauthorized parties” (those not approved by Hubbard and organized scientology) from using these names and/or symbols. In the Guardian’s office we did not view the marks as being a major source behind money to Hubbard. Where Hubbard got his main percents were from copyrights, not trademarks.

The perceived liability to Hubbard owning all these trademarks was that he would then be obligated to see to their proper usage and this in turn could open him up to claims that he was really running organized scientology and all the potential liability that goes with that.

With the above factors in mind, in late 1975/early 1976 I put a proposal together asking L. Ron Hubbard to give royalty free rights to his trademarks to the various churches of scientology as well as various front groups such as Narconon and Applied Scholastics. This was actually approved and Hubbard did sign letters to all those groups assigning his rights in the marks to them. The actual groups that got the letters were the groups we argued were in charge of managing the other groups of its kind (EG: Church of Scientology of California for all the churches of scientology).

The reason I give this background here is to show how trademarks were registered prior to RTC and the fact that they were already freely assigned to the various organizations to which they applied well prior to RTC’s existence.

In keeping with the rest of the 1981/82 “corporate sortout” the purpose of RTC was not what Miscavige said in his declaration: “RTC was formed with the specific purpose of seeing that the religion of Scientology was kept pure and true to the source materials of the religion”.

Rather RTC was to accomplish the following:

1) cover up completely that Hubbard had already freely assigned all his trademark rights to the organizations involved. All records that could be found of this from 1975/76 were located and destroyed to pretend it never existed. Otherwise it could be argued that RTC got no rights to the marks whatsoever and had no power of supervision and/or enforcement with respect to same;

2) as was Church of Scientology International (“CSI”) and Church of Spiritual Technology (“CST”) RTC was to be yet another buffer between L. Ron Hubbard and anyone seeking to sue or take criminal action against him having to do with the subject of scientology;

3) the then new plan was to help make millions of dollars through the usage of the trademarks without putting Hubbard at legal risk as he would not technically own the rights.

The next part of this section of the declaration is also false and misleading:

“In fact, a major reason for its formation was to have such a Church organization that performed these functions in a capacity entirely separate from the actual management of the various Churches and Missions of Scientology”.

The truth is that RTC was to make it appear that CSI was running organized scientology instead of RTC but RTC and David Miscavige would really run it, often via CSI. This was true from the earlier days of RTC’s operation when Steve Marlowe was the figurehead over RTC. There were many complaints of the constant orders from RTC to the heads of CSI (the Watchdog Committee members) that were tactical in nature and taking up most of their time to handle thus not allowing them to get onto more strategic matters. The orders from RTC to CSI executives then were constant and continuous.

In fact I have been in actual meetings between the then head of RTC (Steve Marlowe as Deputy Inspector General) and the head of CSI (Marc Yager as WDC Chairman) where they were flustered trying to work out what exactly RTC was supposed to do as Yager pleaded for less orders from RTC. All they knew was that RTC was to be a legal buffer for Hubbard and a way to make much more money without getting Hubbard legally involved.

The next part of this section of the declaration is also false and misleading:

“Not only is RTC not involved in the management of the international hierarchy of Scientology churches, but its very existence and performance of its true functions depends on the fact that it is NOT part of Church management”.

What is covered for the earlier two quotes completely applies here as well. Earlier write-ups in this “series” also cover this as well. This is a complete lie on the part of Miscavige as part of a corporate cover-up of the real controls within organized scientology.

The final part of this section of the declaration is at the very least misleading:

“The authority of the Religious Technology Center stems from the ownership of the trademarks of Dianetics and Scientology”.

The truth is that the rights to the trademarks had been passed on to “churches”, Narconons and study groups at least five years prior to RTC’s existence. The other point here is that the real and only factual power and authority then in organized scientology was Hubbard and those he used to communicate his orders (in this case Mascavige). The entire corporate sortout was to cover this up.

(III). My vote: “Perjury”, “Just a Lie” or “Simply Misdirection”

David Miscavige committed Perjury in some sections of his above statements and was simply using misdirection in others..

Comments from anyone who wants to give them on this thread will be welcome. I welcome both agreement and disagreement and suggest that those concerned vote for “Perjury”, “Just a Lie” or “Simply Misdirection” as they see fit.

Eventually I plan to post on my blog the top actual examples of David Miscavige’s greatest perjury, lies and misdirecting statements to deflect attention away from organized scientology’s misdeeds as voted on by the general public. It should be interesting.

If any others reading this thread may want to add in their own examples of the truth which may be even more relevant than my own, please feel free to do so.

The entire list of these postings as well as other series’ of postings I plan to make through this next year will be found on my blogspot: http://larrybren.blogspot.com/

Larry Brennan - SME
My blog: http://larrybren.blogspot.com/

"Oh make no mistake. It's not revenge he is after, it's a reckoning". - Doc Holiday

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Opinions & Debate”