Sympathy

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Hubbard's Mushroom
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hubbard's Mushroom » Tue May 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Don't fall for Hubbard's tricks!

+++++++++++Sacred Cult Scripture+++++++++++++++

HCOPL: Propaganda By Redefinition of Words

The trick is —WORDS ARE REDEFINED TO MEAN SOMETHING
ELSE TO THE ADVANTAGE OF THE PROPAGANDIST.

Given enough repetition of the redefinition, public opinion can
be altered by altering the meaning of a word.

The technique is good or bad depending on the ultimate
objective of the propagandist.

"Psychiatry" and "psychiatrist" are easily redefined to mean
"an antisocial enemy of the people." This takes the kill-crazy
psychiatrist off the preferred list of professions. This is a
good use of the technique as for a century the psychiatrist
has been setting an all-time record for inhumanity to Man.

The redefinition of words is done by associating different
emotions and symbols with the word than were intended.

[...]

Out of this we can redefine modern psychology as a German
military system used to condition men for war and subsidized
in American and other universities at the time the
government was having trouble with the draft. A reasonable
discourse on why "they" had to push psychology would of
course be a way of redefining an already redefined word,
"psychology."

The way to redefine a word is to get the new definition
repeated as often as possible. Thus it is necessary to
redefine medicine, psychiatry and psychology downward
and define Dianetics and Scientology upwards.

This, so far as words are concerned, is the public-opinion
battle for belief in your definitions, and not those of the
opposition.

A consistent, repeated effort is the key to any success
with this technique of propaganda. One must know how
to do it.

— L. Ron Hubbard
HCOPL 5 Oct 71 Propaganda by Redefinition of Words

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

caroline

Post by caroline » Tue May 12, 2009 3:59 pm

After bragging about how he rehabilitated himself at Oak Knoll Naval Hospital (1945) with his "superior" bully tech, Hubbard claimed to conduct Pavlovian dog experiments to rehabilitate a "cowardly" dog. He marked the success of his experiments when the dog bit a marine sergeant.

Although these stories may be hard to read, they do present a clear picture of Hubbard's nature, and the nature of "solutions" Scientology offers the world. They don't include sympathy.
From Lecture 23 July 1951 by L. Ron Hubbard who wrote:I was in the hospital up at Oak Knoll, and early that year they told me the war was over. I played the "Dead March" of Saul to myself and said, "Well, you're really in bad shape, boy." They argued with me. I didn't think I was in bad shape but they wouldn't pass me on an overseas physical. It was the last year of the war; I was feeling horrible about it. They were very dramatic about it, too. I went to see the commander at the base that sent me up to the hospital and argued with him about it, and he said, "Young man, you may not realize this but we are saving your life." So I went to the hospital.

I was MEST [Matter-Energy-Space-Time: the physical] for a long time. I didn't feel like I could exert any control over the environment. After all, I was in the navy and that was bad enough, but I had gotten out to a point where I wasn't even in the navy—I was under treatment in the navy. I was feeling pretty bad.

About July, I went down to Hollywood to see a friend of mine. I was living in a hotel there for a few days, and a ruckus started right out in front of the hotel. I was going downstairs and the clerk said, "Do something about that. I've already called the shore patrol." I went out and saw three bluejackets; they were standing there in the street arguing and being very profane. So I just stepped over—this was the first time I had ever said anything to an enlisted man ashore—and I said, "The shore patrol has been called, and if you boys are very smart you will get out of here quick." I started to pass them and go on down the street, and one of them grabbed me by the arm and started poking me with his finger. Then one of them picked up a beer bottle, the other one swung me around with my back to the one with the beer bottle and the guy swung the beer bottle, aiming at my head.

One of the things that I had been doing in trying to rehabilitate myself was carrying on with judo. I had gotten training in judo in 1941 before I went into the service, but up at the hospital it was just regular exercise. The judo instructor and I had had quite a bit of fun.

It was very instinctive to duck underneath this beer bottle as it was coming down, and that made the fellow with the beer bottle come over to the side with his wrist in reach, so what I did was break his arm automatically and throw him over his head into the man who was holding me. That guy went into a bumper and cut his face open and the fellow with the bottle went into him with a broken arm. The beer bottle fell on the pavement, and the third guy got up off the running board of the car where he had been sitting and came at me, so I just caught up the beer bottle and shoved it in his face.

They made me go before a court martial, and it was very funny but the court martial, looking at these three men and the fact that I had been in Oak Knoll hospital, wouldn't believe me. They were sure that four or five other officers and myself had caught these men one by one and beaten them up, and that this was a cooked story. I almost got in a lot of trouble with this one.

But the old chief petty officer down at the police station, after the shore patrol came and picked these boys up, was saying, "Sir, you were very, very lucky that the shore patrol arrived when it did. You shouldn't ever have tackled that. Now, we've got a report over here that you were fighting with three sailors on the street. You mustn't do that, because there have been three sailors around town here and they put two officers—a marine officer and a naval officer—in the hospital. The marine officer is not expected to live. You shouldn't have done something like this...." The door opened and the shore patrol began to help these guys through the police station to put them in the jail overnight till they could get them to a naval hospital. There was blood all over the place! The chief took one look, and he looked at me, and he looked at his first class petty officer who had gone out with that shore patrol and asked, "Did he do that to them?"

"Yes. Darnedest thing you ever saw!"

The chief looked at me and he said, "My God!" All of a sudden I was sixteen feet tall. Actually, I was well from that minute!

Those three men were drunk. Anybody who had had any training in judo would have wiggled out of it one way or the other. It just happened that a sharp-fendered automobile was there to mess them up.

I am not trying to tell you what a great warrior I am, but that what that did for my morale was fantastic. I don't think I would be alive today if I hadn't handled those three men.

I did a flock of animal experiments a little bit later that year. Up at the hospital we had a dog that was sort of cowardly. I got hold of this dog and I thought, "If it can do this for you I'll bet it might do something for the dog, too. He is evidently a psychopathic case; probably under psychiatric care up here." I would invite the dog to play with a stick with me and just shake it a little bit. Of course, this dog was so psycho that if you just shook the stick a little bit he would cringe. But I got him to the point where he would come up to take hold of the stick and then I would drop it and flinch. I finally got the dog to a point where he would bite at my shoe laces a little bit, and when he did that I would ki-yi like a dog, "Yeow-yeow! Don't do that!" and so forth-act scared of him. I kept giving the dog this kind of reaction on almost anything he would do.

The dog started to walk a little bit tougher and a little bit tougher and a little bit straighter, and his eye got brighter and brighter and brighter. The first thing I knew, he went down the street and bit a marine sergeant! There was ample and adequate proof of this business of trying to rehabilitate an individual's control of his environment.

You can definitely take a leaf from that book. If you are trying to fix up some individual—process him—you had better find out when and where this individual got convinced that he was MEST, where he had to be so afraid of his environment that he couldn't fight it anymore. You will find some interesting stuff. Actually, there is data in that which could be applied to psychotics, very definitely.

Hubbard's Mushroom
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hubbard's Mushroom » Tue May 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Hubbard redefined sympathy and low-toned so he could
make you think you had BAD and TERRIBLE emotions
that only he could fix.

caroline

Post by caroline » Tue May 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Hubbard's Mushroom wrote:Hubbard redefined sympathy and low-toned so he could
make you think you had BAD and TERRIBLE emotions
that only he could fix.
Exactly true. He put sympathy where he did because it allowed him to prey and profit on our human emotions.

Pavlard denied us our human emotions and reactions, for obvious reasons. But we should care for and about them.

caroline

Post by caroline » Wed May 13, 2009 12:36 am

In this lecture, Hubbard associated the sympathy engram with hypnosis and mentioned hypnosis experiments that apparently determined what suggestions would take priority over others.
From Lecture 26 June 1950 Hypnosis by L. Ron Hubbard who wrote:You will discover hypnotic therapy or deep analysis in quite a few patients who have undergone psychoanalysis. Deep analysis is a practice of discovering hidden data and delivering unto the patient insight regarding that data.

The words “You can remember all this in present time” sometimes appear in these sessions, and “You can remember it” is also a standard phrase. The fact that the patient often does not remember has never amazed anybody practicing deep analysis. It should have. Because “You can remember it” is a statement made in the reactive mind long after the early statement of Mama’s “You can’t remember it.” So the positive suggestion later falls on deaf ears. The field is already closed off.

That is true of all hypnotic suggestions. If you hypnotize a man on Tuesday and tell him that he cannot write a line and that he will never be able to write, and then you hypnotize him on Thursday and tell him that he is a great writer, he isn’t going to be a great writer. It takes it on a priority basis. I conducted a few experiments on this which seem to confirm that finding.*

The engram bank does this also. Hypnotism is simply another engram, but it is a special kind of an engram because it has malice aforethought behind it. Furthermore, it’s quite often a sympathy engram. The person is in affinity with the hypnotist.

Emphasis added.
Hubbard, L. R. (1980). The research and discovery series June 1950. 1. Los Angeles: Scientology Publ.
* The Admissions, Course 1 documents a self-hypnosis experiment Hubbard designed to remove his fears about writing. This document references earlier experiments where he built psychoses in himself.
From The Admissions by L. Ron Hubbard who wrote:Course I
The purpose of this experiment is to re-establish the ambition, willpower, desire to survive, the talent and confidence of myself.

To accomplish the above the following fears must be removed

Fear that I have written myself out by writing junk. I built certain psychoses in myself while living with my former wife as a means to protect my writing. I affirmed that my writing was hard work and took much labor. This was a lie. I was always anxious about people's opinion of me and was afraid I would bore them. This injected anxiety and careless speed into my work. I must be convinced that I can write skillfully and well, that I have no phobias about writing and no fears of it. People criticized my work bitterly at times. I must be convinced that such people were fools. I must be convinced that I can write far better than ever before, that a million people at least would be happy to see my stories. I must be convinced that I have succeeded in writing and with ease will regain my popularity, which actually was not small. I must also be convinced that I dictate stories to a dictaphone with ease.

http://carolineletkeman.org/sp/index.ph ... Itemid=174

caroline

Post by caroline » Wed May 13, 2009 5:33 am

Here's Hubbard giving one of his many, and often ridiculous, blanket diagnoses: If you feel sympathetic towards someone or something, it means that you've hurt someone or something similar in your past.

Hubbard's "scriptural" indoctrination alone suppresses good people's willingness to feel sympathy. And Dianetics procedure could easily "locate" the "incidents" responsible for the sympathetic feeling that cult indoctrination has made contra-survival and unwanted.
From Lecture 7 Jan 1952 Survival by L. Ron Hubbard who wrote:A person makes what he believes to be an overt act against any one of these dynamics — except number one: overt acts against number one are kind of “so what?” But from two on up the line, any overt act whereby the individual hurts an entity on any one of these dynamics results in instant aberration, particularly if he notices he has hurt it. He looks at it and he sees he has hurt it. All of a sudden he feels sympathy. The only reason he will feel sympathy for anything is that he hurt it in the first place.

Now, any of you that are very, very sympathetic toward kittens have probably killed one someplace on the track. And any of you that feel very super sentimental about dear little babies have probably knocked one off in some life or other. And any of you that can’t stand to have a woman leave or something of the sort have probably bumped one off. Very simple. It is ridiculously simple. There is the viewpoint.

Hubbard, L. R. (1980). The research and discovery series 1952. 10. Los Angeles: Scientology Publ.

peter

Post by peter » Wed May 13, 2009 1:33 pm

Soderqvist1: there are some other distorters who have said that there is no love in Scientology, and is also engaged in Quote mining without context. Whatever awful deeds the Church has done it doesn’t justify misrepresentation!

Affinity
The word affinity is here used to mean love, liking or any other emotional attitude.
Affinity is here used as a word with the context degree of liking.
Man would not be man without affinity. A child is full of affinity. Not only does he have affinity for his father, mother, brothers and sisters and his playmates but for his dogs, his cats and stray dogs that happen to come around. It is pure, easy and natural and flows out from the individual as easily as sunlight flows from the sun. Affinity begets affinity. A person who is filled with the quality will automatically find people anywhere near him also beginning to be filled with affinity. It is a calming, warming, heartening influence on all who are capable of receiving and giving it.
http://www.scientologyhandbook.org/SH3_1.HTM
A simple explanation with few explanation grounds is to prefer, except when you need to hide your flaws! - Peter Soderqvist

Hubbard's Mushroom

Post by Hubbard's Mushroom » Wed May 13, 2009 1:42 pm

Hubbard decides you have murdered women, babies
and kittens.

Hubbard accuses you of BIG BAD TERRIBLE deeds that
only scientology can fix.

+++++++++Sacred Cult Scripture++++++++++++++++

Now, any of you that are very, very sympathetic toward kittens
have probably killed one someplace on the track. And any of
you that feel very super sentimental about dear little babies
have probably knocked one off in some life or other. And any
of you that can’t stand to have a woman leave or something
of the sort have probably bumped one off. Very simple. It is
ridiculously simple. There is the viewpoint.

L. Ron Hubbard Lecture 7 Jan 1952 Survival

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hubbard's Mushroom

Post by Hubbard's Mushroom » Wed May 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Hmmmm....
Have you ever raped a baby?

+++++++++Sacred Cult Scripture++++++++++++++++

And any of you that feel very super sentimental about dear
little babies have probably knocked one off in some life or
other.

- L. Ron Hubbard Lecture 7 Jan 1952 Survival

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

peter

Post by peter » Wed May 13, 2009 1:49 pm

I don’t buy any unproven claims whatever its author!
A simple explanation with few explanation grounds is to prefer, except when you need to hide your flaws! - Peter Soderqvist

peter

Post by peter » Wed May 13, 2009 2:18 pm

Soderqvist1: Have you noted the word “super” in your quote?
If you know what Karma is, then it is not any strange proposition, yet I don’t buy the argument until proven beyond reasonable doubt!

" .. the spiritual progress comes through analysis of current and past life experiences which resolve past karma most directly." etc.
(S.S. Subramuniya swami, Dancing with Shiva, Himalayan Academy: India * USA, 1997, p. 575).
http://www.geocities.com/paultabaka/hub ... l-lrh.html

caroline

Post by caroline » Wed May 13, 2009 4:28 pm

The following quote was mined from the Hubbard Dissemination Course. Put that in your context and smoke it.
From Hubbard Dissemination Course from the works of L. Ron Hubbard who wrote:
MATCHING TONES

Is there some kind of a system by which you can sell a tractor, a house, a gold brick, a golf game or anything? Can you get some agreement and cooperation from a person in apathy? In grief? In fear? In antagonism? In boredom? In conservatism? Is there some kind of a method by which you can get good agreement so that these people will go along with you? Yes, and it is about as simple as it comes. You just match the person's tone.

Let's apply this to an angry man. You want to sell something to this fellow in anger and you say to him, "It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" That isn't going to work! Instead, you better take a look at him, listen to his voice tones and look at his office help.

For example, let's say you are working on the financing of a project to build a city park. You walk into the office of this angry fellow just as he is saying, "They all ought to be stood up against a wall . . ."

You say, "And shot!"

He looks at you and says with relief, "Soul mate!"

"Now," you ask, "who should be stood up against a wall?"

"Those dogs, that's who!"

"Well, it's just like this project! If we had this project, we could shoot em!

"What project?" he asks, interested.

The project we are using in this example is to build a city park. To an anger case, you don't want the park for the kids and someplace to let the birds sing. The reason you want to build this city park is to get even with those contractors that wanted the land. Something like that will sell this angry fellow on a city park. He will write out his check.

It is a sympathetic vibration.[1]

[1] sympathetic vibration: a vibration caused by other vibrations transmitted from a neighboring vibrating body.

Did you ever see the physics class experiment where you have two tuning forks [2] side by side? If you hit only one of them, the other one will vibrate too, even if you damp [3] out the first one.

[2] tuning fork: a small steel instrument with two prongs, which when struck sounds a certain fixed tone. It is most commonly used in tuning musical instruments.
[3] damp: to check or deaden the vibration of (a piano string, drum membrane, etc.)

That is a sympathetic vibration. You have to talk along a sympathy [4] line. I don't mean the sympathy of grief. You have to match the tone level that this person normally frequents.

You could be fooled. You could look at this fellow and say to yourself that he looks like a conservative old man and start talking to him more or less conservatively. "We have this large conservative project and it's going to do a lot of good and it's going to make some money." You don't talk about this project making anybody happy, but you tell him, "It does good and it's practical and it's going to make some money." You talk to him like that, and the first thing you know, this fellow says apathetically, "Well, I don't think anybody would live to use it in these times." You were wrong.

To sell to the apathy case, you would say, "Of course, it probably won't do any good anyway."

If you were trying to sell him a tractor, you would say, "Most of them around the countryside are all broken; they don't last very long. Almost any competitor of ours is outselling us anyhow. They don't work." He will sigh, "Well, give me one."

All too often an individual who is trying to do business with other individuals, who is trying to work with other individuals, will be so solidly fixed in a tone himself that he doesn't understand the necessity of trying to get into communication with another individual before he tries to do something with him. It is necessary to get into communication first. The only way you can get into good, solid communication anywhere along this line is to match the person on the Tone Scale.

An insurance salesman who is fixed at the line of fear goes around and tells everybody to be afraid. He tells them in various ways. He goes on selling, "Be afraid, be afraid, be afraid, be afraid." He is an excellent salesman if the community in which he is selling has a predominance [5] of people at this tone level. But he would completely flop if he were trying to sell this idea to higher-toned people. Suppose he tried to sell it in the offices of a very conservative magazine. He would go in and say, "Be afraid, be afraid," and they would put a cartoon in the magazine about somebody being afraid. They would not be impressed and they would not react. This individual who is fixed at the level of fear can only get a reaction at the level of fear.

Educationally, this person could begin to understand that not everybody was at his tone level, that maybe there was somebody at apathy. You give the person in apathy this pitch, "Be afraid, be afraid, be afraid, be afraid"— standard insurance sales arguments. This person would like to be afraid.

[4] sympathy: a sameness of taste or opinion; accord; agreement. This is not the same meaning as the expression of compassion or pity, which is the point LRH is making when he says, "You have to talk [to the person] along a sympathy line. I don't mean the sympathy of grief. You have to match the tone level that this person normally frequents." This use of "sympathy" is like saying, "Joe's voting record proves that he is in sympathy with the President's economic policy."

[5] predominance: being most frequent or prevailing.

Fear is two rungs up the Tone Scale! He isn't afraid. The only way you could sell him anything at all would be to tell him, 'This is a recognition of the fact that there is no fear involved anyplace in the world anyhow, and there's no use in doing this stuff and it doesn't have any end or purpose. But people would sure think you were dead. It really proves the fact that a man is practically on his way out to have a policy of this size, doesn't it?"

"Yes, it does. Where's my fountain pen?"

You can't sell it to him on the basis of "You know, you ought to have this because you're going to die and your wife is liable to be left penniless."

Wife? The apathy case has had no emotional response about anybody but himself for so long, you can't sell him anything about any other part of his environment. You can't even sell him well on himself. He is way down there.

The grief case is sitting there saying, "It's all hopeless. There is no future. I wouldn't bring a child into this world anyway. Things are pretty horrible over there in Europe anyway. I know when my husband used to beat me, I used to say . . ."

And you just say, "You poor thing. We feel sorry for you. I feel sorry for you. Everybody feels sorry for you. Sign on the dotted line. Everybody feels sorry for you." That is all a grief case can hear.

It is almost useless to agree with the grief case in your speech: "Yes, I know, when my father used to beat me and used to feel . . ."

She says, ". . . and he always used to say to me . . ."

Then you say, ". . . and when he took my car away from me, I knew that life was pretty hopeless," and so forth.

". . . and he often said to me," she says, "when we were walking out to the barn . . . You know, I did have a love affair before I met him but I gave him up. I had to be noble. Married my best friend—I thought it was for the best, but it's all worked out wrong."

You are trying to match grief. Grief doesn't listen. It is senseless, when a person breaks down and starts to cry, for you to say, "It's all right. Life is going to be beautiful, life is going to be wonderful. The sun will shine again. There's no use to be bereaved.[6] You can stand there and talk like that for a long time but about the only thing you can do is to pat them on the shoulder and say, "I feel sorry for you. Yes, everybody feels sorry for you. We pity you." And if you carry along in that line this person will finally simmer down and smooth out very nicely. You can get a communication then because grief is a supplication and plea for pity.

But on a fear level, you can only sell things that prevent death. Here is where the political parties really come in. Imagine a populace which is

[6] bereaved: to leave in a sad or lonely state, especially by death.

predominantly [7] in a state of fear. I don't mean that they are specifically afraid of something. They are just in a fixed state of fear. They have been up against politicians a long time and they are scared stiff.

Somebody talking along the line of "Be happy and cheer up because all is well tomorrow" is not going to win the election. The fellow who is going to win the election from this populace is the fellow who says, "We are being attacked from all sides by enemies! The subversives [8] are coming in underneath and prying us apart. The planes are coming over us and somebody is surrounding us with submarines. This country must be saved! This is a time for emergency measures! I'll save you from all this! We need price controls and ..."

Fear is best appealed to by arguments about things to be afraid of. Anger is best appealed to by things to be angry about.

Something else happens when you skip a tone. Boredom can more or less damp out antagonism. Anger can control fear. Fear can play on down to grief a little bit. If we are speaking in terms of two people, side by side, the one who will more or less be in command of the other will be the one who is a grade up from the other one.

Conservative people, uniformly throughout the society, depend almost exclusively upon the dreamer and the happy individual to provide the ideas which provide conservatism with its action. You have noticed that. Actually, to the conservative there is a necessity to put something together well. However, there is no reason why practicality can't be happy.

A populace which is at 2.5, which is just bored, can be ruled by a conservative government—a reasonable, practical, conservative government. However, a society which is at 1.1 cannot be ruled by a conservative, practical government; it can only be ruled by an angry or an antagonistic government.

Agreement occurs at the same emotional tone level as the person making the statement. He buys his facts at that level.

To go half a tone to a tone up from a person's level is to command him within his zone of reality.

There is an old law in Scientology: To control a Tone Scale point you move half a tone to a tone above it.

Doing this with a person you can bring him up tone and impress him. People will go into agreement, at their own tone, but they are not impressed with their own tone.

This has application in dissemination. Once you have located the person's tone and gotten his agreement by matching it, you can move up a half a tone to a tone above him and so 8-C the cycle through to completion, the person actually arrived for a service.

[7] predominantly: majorly; to the greatest degree or extent.
[8] subversives: persons trying to overthrow an existing government, law, custom, belief, etc.

----
Edit: This document in PDF format
Last edited by caroline on Wed May 13, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caroline

Post by caroline » Wed May 13, 2009 4:31 pm

Hubbard Dissemination Course wrote:Image

caroline

Post by caroline » Wed May 13, 2009 8:44 pm

I'll post these tone scale drills for more context on how Scientologists elicit and manipulate emotions. Magicians will recognize these drills as "lesser black magic" or "LBM." They teach Scientologists how to go into rapport on a "sympathy" line.

PDF format
Hubbard Dissemination Course wrote:Hubbard Dissemination Course Dissemination Drill 10

Name: Matching a Person's Tone Level.

Reference: "Matching Tones" in this manual.

Purpose: To teach a Scientologist how to match another person's tone level, and also to give one a reality on what happens if one goes below another's tone level.

Step A

Position: The coach and student are to be seated across from each other.

Patter: The coach pretends to be a stranger in each of the following tone levels, in sequence, by displaying the physical indicators as well as how a person in that tone talks and listens—apathy, grief, fear, covert hostility, anger, antagonism, boredom, conservatism, strong interest and enthusiasm— going from the lower levels up. The student is to ask the coach the following survey questions:

A. Do you think it is possible to reduce crime in this society?

B. Do you think the current prison system is a failure?

C. What should be done about juvenile delinquency?

The student is to observe the physical indicators and the way the coach talks and listens. There is no set patter aside from the survey questions. Once the student spots the tone, he is to match the coach's tone level. The student should engage in some brief conversation with the coach (such as agreeing with what the coach said in answer to a survey question). While doing this, the student is to observe what happens when he matches someone's tone. This step is repeated until the student can do it easily and accurately.

Step B

Position: The position is the same as in Step A.

Patter: The coach and the student repeat Step A above, except this time the coach picks the tone levels at random. All of the tone levels (from apathy to enthusiasm) must be covered. This step is repeated until the student can do it easily and accurately. The coach is to end off on a high tone.

Step C

Position: This step is done ambulant, with the coach and student in a public place such as a restaurant or shopping center.

Patter: The coach has the student approach a stranger, contact him or her and then do the survey on the stranger (same questions as used in Steps A and B). The student is to observe the physical indicators and the way the person talks and listens. Once the student spots the tone, he is to match the person's tone level. The student should engage in some brief conversation with the person (such as agreeing with what the person said in answer to a survey question). There is no set patter aside from the survey questions. While doing this, the student is to observe what happens when he matches someone's tone. The coach only listens and observes, unobtrusively. The coach may or may not seem to be with the student; he may stand next to the student or a dozen or so feet away. The coach does not flunk the student in the presence of the person that the student is talking to, but waits until the person has walked away. If the student receives any questions about what he is doing or what he is going to do with the survey data, etc., the student simply and politely explains that he is doing the survey as part of a class he is taking. If the person is not interested in answering, that is okay. The student thanks him and walks on. The point is that you are not there to handle or argue but simply to drill.

Step D

Position: The position is the same as in Step C.

Patter: This step is the same as in Step C, but instead of matching the person's tone, the coach has the student spot the tone level and then drop below that tone. When doing this, the student is to observe what happens. The whole point of this step of the drill is simply to give the student a reality on what occurs if one goes below a person's tone level.

Training Stress: The coach flunks the student for any hesitation on contacting or observing the person, any failure to correctly spot the tone level, not matching the tone, or, in Step D, failing to assume a tone lower than the other person's tone.

Hubbard Dissemination Course Dissemination Drill 11

Name: Assuming a Higher Tone Level.

Reference: "Matching Tones" in this manual.

Purpose: To teach a Scientologist how to assume a tone level one half to one tone above another person's tone level.

Step A

Position: The coach and student are to be seated across from each other.

Patter: The coach assumes a particular tone picked at random, without announcing what tone it is to the student. The student is to get into a communication cycle with the coach by doing a survey using the following questions:

A. Do you think it is possible to reduce crime in this society?

B. Do you think the current prison system is a failure?

C. What should be done about juvenile delinquency?

The student can and should engage in some brief conversation with the coach. There is no set patter aside from the survey questions which are to get the conversation started. Similar questions may also be used. While conversing, the student is to do the following, in sequence:

1. Spot the coach's tone,

2. Match the coach's tone,

3. Get agreement on some subject,

4. Then go one half to one tone above the coach's tone level.

The student should observe what happens when he assumes a tone level half a tone to a tone above the coach's.

Step B

Position: The coach and the student are to go to a public place such as a shopping area or airport or restaurant.

Patter: This step is exactly the same as in Step A, except the student does these actions on a stranger instead of on the coach. The student is to get into a communication cycle with a stranger by doing a survey. The survey questions as in Step A or other questions of a similar nature may be used. The student can and should engage in some brief conversation with the person. There is no set patter aside from the "survey questions" which are used to get the conversation started. While conversing, the student is to do the following, in sequence:

1. Spot the person's tone,

2. Match the person's tone,

3. Get agreement on some subject,

4. Then go one half to one tone above the person's tone level.

The student should observe what happens when he assumes a tone level that is half a tone to a tone above the person's own tone level. The coach only listens and observes, unobtrusively, and may or may not seem to be with the student. The coach may stand next to the student or a dozen or so feet away. If the student receives any questions about what he is doing or what he is going to do with the survey data, etc., the student simply and politely explains that he is doing the survey as part of a class he is taking. If the person is not interested in answering, that is okay. The student thanks him and moves on. The point is that the student is not there to handle or argue but simply to drill.

Training Stress: The coach flunks the student for any hesitation in contacting the person, any failure to correctly spot or match the tone of the person or failure to assume a tone level one half to one tone above the person's own tone level. The student would be flunked for failing to notice what happened or failing to notice any change when he assumed the higher tone. The student is also flunked for failure to get agreement with the person or for going too high above the person's tone (more than one full tone above). The coach does not flunk the student in the presence of the person that the student is talking to, but waits till the person has walked away. The student passes the drill when he can easily, rapidly and smoothly assume a tone level one half to one tone above another person's tone level.

Hubbard, L. R. (1986). Hubbard dissemination course. Los Angeles, Calif. (1414 N. Catalina St., Los Angeles 90027): Bridge Publications.

caroline

Post by caroline » Wed May 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Gerry posted this to a.r.s. today, but it belongs in this thread.
Gerry Armstrong wrote:From: Gerry Armstrong <gerry@gerryarmstrong.org>
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Sympathy and Scientology (was re Scientology's Holy War)
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 03:54:30 -0800 (PST), LaserClam
<LaserClam@aol.com> wrote:

>On Jan 16, 2:43 pm, rattusrattus <ratzin...@att.net> wrote:
>> Armstrong finally began to tell me fragments of stories about being
>> relentlessly harassed by the church, pursued by its private
>> investigators, run off the road, targeted in elaborate sting
>> operations, slandered at every turn by what he calls “Black PR” and
>> “dead agent packages” and stalked through the US courts. In fact,
>> since last fall, a California court order has been reinstated,
>> demanding that he be remanded to a state jail and pay Scientology
>> $500,000 US for breaking a confidentiality agreement he signed with
>> the church twenty- one years ago. Hence his exile in Chilliwack.
>>
>> Why has the Church of Scientology spent nearly three decades trying to
>> discredit and silence this unemployed, penniless man living on a
>> disability pension in the middle of nowhere in British Columbia?
>>
>
>
> Why is Gerry Armstrong penniless
> and on a disability pension?
> Is he trying to satisfy a desire for sympathy?

This really is how Scientology cultists condemn the disabled. It makes the Scientologists right, and the disabled wrong.

Condemning my condition is even worse because it's scientologenous.

In Scientology, sympathy is viewed and taught as evil, and is impermissible. It is a key meme where the cultists and the wog world intersect, and where rejection of each other's meaning occurs.

A standard wog definition for sympathy:

answers.com wrote: 1. a. A relationship or an affinity between people or things in which whatever affects one correspondingly affects the other.
b. Mutual understanding or affection arising from this relationship or affinity.
2. a. The act or power of sharing the feelings of another.
b. A feeling or an expression of pity or sorrow for the distress of another; compassion or commiseration.
3. Harmonious agreement; accord: He is in sympathy with their beliefs.
4. A feeling of loyalty; allegiance. Often used in the plural: His sympathies lie with his family.
5. Physiology. A relation between parts or organs by which a disease or disorder in one induces an effect in the other.

http://www.answers.com/sympathy

And now, Hubbard's and Scientology's definition:

Dianetics and Scientology Technical Dictionary wrote:SYMPATHY, 1. a terrible thing but is considered to be a very valuable thing. The survival value of sympathy is this: when an individual is hurt or immobilized, he cannot fend for himself. He must count on another or others to care for him. His bid for such care is the enlistment of the sympathy of others. This is practical. If men weren’t sympathetic, none of us would be alive. The non-survival value of sympathy is this: an individual fails in some activity. He then considers himself incapable of Surviving by himself. Even though he isn’t sick actually he makes a bid for sympathy. A psychosomatic illness is at once an explanation of failure and a bid for sympathy. (HFP, p. 122) 2 . sympathy is commonly accepted to mean the posing of an emotional state similar to the emotional state of an individual in grief or apathy. It is on the tone scale between 0.9 and 0.4. Sympathy follows or is based upon overt action by the preclear. Sympathy can be mechanically considered as the posing of any emotion so as to be similar to the emotion of another. (AP&A, p. 23) 3. sympathy is a co-flow, it’s sort of a co-beingness. One individual goes onto the wave-length of another individual. (PDC 23) 4. “I am him” which is what sympathy is; it’s a low level interchange of energy. (5209CM04B) 5. equal motion, equal plane, similar space. (Spr Lect 1, 5303CM23)
Dianetics and Scientology Technical Dictionary wrote:SYMPATHY COMPUTATION, if a patient had a tough engramic background, then broke his leg and got sympathy he thereafter tends to go around with a simulated broken leg—arthritis, etc. etc. This is the sympathy computation. It makes a patient “want to be sick.” Sickness has a high survival value says the reactive mind. So it tailors up a body to be sick. (EOS, p. 93)
Dianetics and Scientology Technical Dictionary wrote:SYMPATHY ENGRAM, 1. an engram of a very specific nature, being the effort of the parent or guardian to be kind to a child who is severely hurt. (DTOT, p. 95) 2. a sympathy engram would go something like this: A small boy, much victimized by his parents, is extremely ill. His grandmother attends him and while he is delirious soothes him and tells him she will take care of him, that she will stay right there until he is well. This puts a high “survival” value on being sick. He does not feel safe around his parents; he wants his grandmother present (she is a winning valence because she orders the parents around), and he now has an engram. (DMSMH, p. 107) 3 . the sympathy engram is one which comes forward and stays chronic as a psychosomatic illness. (DMSMH, p. 107)
Dianetics and Scientology Technical Dictionary wrote:SYMPATHY EXCITER, a sympathy exciter is any entity on any dynamic for which the individual has felt sympathy of the variety between 0.9 and 0.4. Sympathy exciters are most commonly parents, allies and pets. (AP&A, pp. 44-45)
http://suppressiveperson.org/spdl/index ... &Itemid=62

So by becoming a Scientologist, mutual understanding or affection, feelings or expressions of pity or sorrow for the distress of another, compassion, commiseration, harmonious agreement, accord, feelings of loyalty or allegiance all become a terrible thing. That is, unless the understanding, affection, loyalty and allegiance are given to the cult and its leader, and the expressions of sorrow are for the cult head's distress, or in execution of his command intention.

Scientologists are in fact taught and drilled to pose any emotion so as to be similar to the emotion of another, for the Scientology cult's purposes -- conversion, recruitment, regging, reconversion, fair game, etc.

Sympathizing with Scientology's victims, who, if wogs, comprise the "Suppressive Person" class, is in fact a "high crime" in the cult, and is punished with fair game potentially up to and including obliteration. See, e.g., Scientology Policy Directive 28 “Suppressive Act – Dealing with a Declared Suppressive Person:”

SPD 28 wrote:"To maintain a line with, offer support to, or in any way grant credance to such a person indicates nothing more than agreement with that person's destructive intentions and acts. Such dealings in fact act as a covert or overt attempt to undermine and negate the ethics and justice strengths of our ecclesiastical structure."

http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/c ... 3-txt.html

The "Suppressive Person" doctrine, which in Scientology scripture also forwards the goal of obliteration, requires and enforces non-sympathy throughout the cult. Scientological non-sympathy is actually a condition of manufactured sociopathy. Sympathy is directly related to the conscience, and to love itself in fact.

Scientologists often say, among themselves, when the subject of sympathy arises, that what they in their superior system do is not sympathy but "empathy."

Sympathizing is viewed as so contra-survival in Scientology that it's specifically prohibited by the Auditor's Code:

L. Ron Hubbard wrote:8. I promise not to sympathize with the preclear but to be effective.

http://www.doctrinalauditing.org/page02.htm

Being effective, in Scientology's "tech," Hubbard is saying, is mutually exclusive of relationships or affinities between people or things in which whatever affects one correspondingly affects the other; mutually exclusive of mutual understanding or affection arising from this relationship or affinity; mutually exclusive of the act or power of sharing the feelings of another; mutually exclusive of feelings or expressions of pity or sorrow for the distress of another; mutually exclusive of compassion or commiseration; mutually exclusive of harmonious agreement; mutually exclusive of accord; mutually exclusive of feelings of loyalty; mutually exclusive of allegiance.

It should be clear that these several facets or expressions of sympathy that Scientology's technicians, in order to be effective in their tech, must not countenance include some of wogs' greatest virtues and aspirations.

On "empathy," Wiktionary's got it:
Wiktionary wrote: 1. the intellectual identification of the thoughts, feelings, or state of another person
2. capacity to understand another person's point of view or the result of such understanding

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/empathy

Wikipedia is also instructive:

Wikipedia wrote:Empathy is the capability to share your feelings and understand another's emotion and feelings. It is often characterized as the ability to "put oneself into another's shoes," or in some way experience what the other person is feeling. Empathy does not necessarily imply compassion, sympathy, or empathic concern because this capacity can be present in context of compassionate or cruel behavior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy

A great number of times in the literature on psychopaths or sociopaths, an identifying characteristic is their "lack of empathy." I think, however, that's an error, and that what is being observed is a lack of sympathy.

Sociopaths almost certainly practice empathy more regularly, and even more deeply than most non-sociopaths. Sociopaths actively pursue the intellectual identification of the thoughts, feelings, or state of other persons; and sociopaths clearly understand and seek to understand other persons' points of view.

Everyone, to some degree, except maybe for the utterly unconscious or psychotic, has the capacity to intellectually identify other persons' thoughts, feelings or states. The amount and quality of the identification depends on the intellect of the identifier, the time spent empathizing with any particular subject, and perhaps other factors. The capacity to understand another person's point of view or the result of such understanding is directly related to intellectual capacity. The intellect can be used for many things and one is empathizing.

Hubbard undeniably had a high intellect, and he spent an astonishing amount of time intellectually identifying other people's thoughts, feelings and states. He trained and got other people to intellectually identify other people's thoughts, feelings and states.

What is done with what has been empathized, that is, intellectually identified thoughts, feelings or states, will be either sympathy or non-sympathy. Sociopaths will use their knowledge of others' thoughts, feelings or states to victimize them. The conscienceful will use their knowledge of others' thoughts, feelings or states to do something much
different from victimizing them.

Scientologists' TRs, tone scale drills, auditing, sec checking, and all other parts of its mental system and tech are to intellectually identify people's thoughts, feelings or states to control them, fleece them, enslave them, fair game them or do any number of the evil things sociopaths do to their victims.

If Scientologists sympathized with the persons they were victimizing with the knowledge the Scientologists had empathized from those persons, the Scientologists could no longer be Scientologists.

Scientologists, using the thoughts, feelings or states they obtained with their empathy tech, can and do, of course, pose or fake sympathy. Unlike actual sympathy, pretended sympathy is not only permitted but required and drilled if it serves Scientology's goals -- control, wealth, power and the obliteration of its victims.

Sympathy is closely related to wisdom. Wisdom is what can be done with knowledge of any kind, knowledge's application. The other action that can be taken with knowledge is stupidity. Wisdom and stupidity appear to be both mutually exclusive opposites and ends of a scale.

The human will is clearly involved in the choice for wisdom or stupidity. Stupidity remains stupid, in the face of good evidence that it's stupid, by willfulness. Hubbard was as willful as he could affirm himself to be, and so is his successor David Miscavige.

The knowledge of others' thoughts, feelings or states can be used wisely or stupidly. That knowledge can be used to create or destroy relationships or affinities between people or things. It can be used to create or destroy understanding or affection, harmonious agreement or accord, compassion or commiseration, and feelings of loyalty or allegiance. Scientology teaches Scientologists to use their knowledge of people's thoughts, feelings or states willfully for non-sympathy, which is destructive and really stupid.

© Gerry Armstrong
http://www.gerryarmstrong.org
[/size]
Last edited by caroline on Sat May 16, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”