Decorated in Shame (Stolen Valour. Hubbard mentioned)

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

I'mglib
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Decorated in Shame (Stolen Valour. Hubbard mentioned)

Post by I'mglib » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks for all of your research, guys.

Sponge, I have a question:

Touretzky says that LRH requested the medals he thought he deserved from the Navy in 1974.
In an unsuccessful attempt to obtain from the US Navy the medals to which he believed he was entitled but had not received, he ordered his staff to write to the Navy to request his medals. His claims were detailed in Flag Operations Liaison Memo of May 28, 1974
The Navy says they sent 4 of them.

Do you know if the medals in the photo are the same as the medals LRH requested be sent to him? I can't figure that out.

If so, it seems that a likely explanation is that he got the 4 real medals, then proceeded to find the other medals that he thought were owed to him. I'm sure there are plenty of places you can buy medals, so maybe he just made the list of what he thought was rightly his, gave it to an assistant, and told the person to get them.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

sekh
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by sekh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:28 pm

I'm not an expert on military awards, but none of these awards shown above look like any Dutch medal I know.
According to the official site of our government,
http://www.lintjes.nl/overige_ondersche ... kruis.html , the bronze cross (bronzen kruis) is a medal, in the shape of a cross, attached to an orange ribbon, 3,7 cm wide, with a blue line of 2 mm wide in the middle. Something like this:

LRH could have gotten the thing during his stint in Java. But I don't see it in the display above.

Sekh.
"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."
Sir Karl Popper (1902 - 1994)

duhast

Post by duhast » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:39 pm

I'mglib wrote:Thanks for all of your research, guys.

Touretzky says that LRH requested the medals he thought he deserved from the Navy in 1974.
In an unsuccessful attempt to obtain from the US Navy the medals to which he believed he was entitled but had not received, he ordered his staff to write to the Navy to request his medals. His claims were detailed in Flag Operations Liaison Memo of May 28, 1974

Do you know if the medals in the photo are the same as the medals LRH requested be sent to him? I can't figure that out.

If so, it seems that a likely explanation is that he got the 4 real medals, then proceeded to find the other medals that he thought were owed to him. I'm sure there are plenty of places you can buy medals, so maybe he just made the list of what he thought was rightly his, gave it to an assistant, and told the person to get them.
I think that's a possibility. Here's the problem. There are channels to go through over award disputes. NO ONE who has served honorably THAT IS NOT A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR OR NARCISSIST would ever even consider buying medals and wearing them without authorization. If you want to see the other extreme to LRH, look up the story of Admiral Boorda. This guy was a real hero and a mustang, who rose to Admiral and CNO (Cheif of Naval Operations). There was some administrative question if he was authorized to wear some "V" devices on medals he had earned (he thought he was, Admiral Zumwaldt thought he was), and because of the shame he felt of potential unauthorized wear of a device, not even a medal, he blew his brains out.

LRH was a narcissist and a pathological liar. He could have handled disputes properly, but he and his drones chose not to.

This is something that sickens vets almost to the point of physical violence. Fakes caught in public are often in severe danger of serious bodily harm at the hands of old men. I'm not joking.
I'm worth a million in prizes.

duhast

Post by duhast » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:41 pm

sekhcollection wrote:I'm not an expert on military awards, but none of these awards shown above look like any Dutch medal I know.
According to the official site of our government,
http://www.lintjes.nl/overige_ondersche ... kruis.html , the bronze cross (bronzen kruis) is a medal, in the shape of a cross, attached to an orange ribbon, 3,7 cm wide, with a blue line of 2 mm wide in the middle. Something like this:

LRH could have gotten the thing during his stint in Java. But I don't see it in the display above.

Sekh.
You're Dutch? Good. That is the ribbon shown at R4. Please do some research and find out what are the criteria and time frame for the award, and if it could be awarded to foreign military.

sekh

Post by sekh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:45 pm

Yeah, you're right about the ribbon, didn't see that. These are the demands for the bronze cross:
De omstandigheden:
Dit optreden kan hebben plaatsgevonden tijdens de Tweede Wereldoorlog:

in Nederland bij de gevechten in mei 1940, het verzet in eigen land en Europa in de periode

1940 - 1945 en tijdens de bevrijding van West-Europa met inbegrip van Nederland.

in Nederlands Oost Indië tijdens de oorlog en daarop volgend verzet en strijd in de periode 1941 - 1945.

in de strijd op de wereldzeeën in de periode 1940 - 1945

tijdens de oorlogsvluchten in de periode 1940 – 1945

tijdens de ontsnapping uit bezet gebied en de daarbij verleende hulp in de periode 1940-1945 en militairen met de Nederlandse nationaliteit die vóór 2 maart 1946 waren verbonden aan de explosieven- en mijnopruimingsdienst van de krijgsmacht en actief betrokken waren bij het mijnen vrij maken van o.a. vliegvelden, havens en kuststroken in deze naoorlogse periode.
The bronze cross is instated by H.M the Queen on June 11 1940. It can be awarded to Dutch military personnel for acts of valor and courage in front of the enemy.

To Dutch civilians or non-Dutch it could be awarded in these circumstances:

During WW II:

-In the Netherlands during the battles in May 1940, or afterwards working for the Dutch resistance against German occupation, in the Netherlands or elsewhere in Europe in the period 1940-1945.

-In the battles to liberate Western Europe, including the Netherlands, in the years 1944-1945.

-In the Dutch East Indies during the war and the resistance against the Japanese occupation in the years 1941-1945

-In the war on the high seas from 1940 to 1945.

-During war flights in the period 1940-1945.

-While escaping occupied territory and while giving help to escapees in the period 1940-1945.

-(Only for Dutch military) Members of army or navy EOD's, in active duty removing explosive devices from harbours, airports and coastal strips in the period to March 2 1946.

There are some categories after WW II, but I don't think they are very important, since Hubs claimed his medal for bravery in that particular war. He claims to have fought the Japanese in the Pacific and that he was in the Dutch East Indies. The Java Episode in 1940 was too early for this medal, but he claims to have seen action in the Dutch East Indies several times. He could have gotten the medal for that action, or for some act of valour towards the Dutch Navy on the high seas.
His story sounds doubtful, but it is not impossible, I suppose. I'll try to find out if a list of rightful owners exists. If not, maybe the Dutch Veterans Board has lists with names of those who received the bronze cross.
I'll try google first, if nothing shows I'll send an E-mail to the Veteran Board.

Anyway, I'll do my best to help.

Love, Sekh.
"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."

sekh

Post by sekh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Got the bastard! :mrgreen: A long Dutch article about his fake medal. I'll read the thing tonight, and send a translation tomorrow.

Sekh.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:58 pm

Well yes, in my edit of the New Yorker photo, it is simply the 4 medals that don't have the word "STOLEN" stamped over them that are ones he was confirmed by Official Personnel Records has having earned (you can identify specifically what's what from my subsequently posted Key). The rest are from his dream world. If it's hard to understand at a glance, I'll do a better annotated version later, with all the required info on the photo itself.

duhast

Post by duhast » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:28 pm

This is a famous real piece, but I wonder if Mr. Gallagher was inspired by LRH's bio.

Read this and imagine it is LRH speaking. This sounds exactly like him, except he wasn't trying to be funny...

College application

Hugh Gallagher [19, of Newtown Square, PA, and NYU]

Question:

Are there any significant experiences you have had, or
accomplishments you have realized, that have helped to define you
as a person?

Answer:

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing
ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch
breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I
translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning
operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for
three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can
pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook
Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco,
a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once
single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a
horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted
by the Mets. I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm
bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban
hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical
appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless
bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy
evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I
receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the
weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling
centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400. My deft floral
arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles.
Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly
accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David
Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire
dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food
item in the supermarket. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I
sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully
negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small
bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all
paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact
origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to
write it down. I have made extraordinary four-course meals using
only a Mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prize-winning clams. I
have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri
Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I
have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with
Elvis.

But I have not yet gone to college.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:37 pm

duhast wrote:Good work, Sponge, I was only using Wiki, and a catalog that I have. I think R5 is that British "Star". That whole display of ribbons is upside down.
Ah, I see now. That explains it. All of the other ribbons are symetrical so it doesn't matter which way up they are, they'll always appear the same.
OK, so unless anyone finds a better explanation, I'll label that R5 one as the (British) Star 1939-1945.

Remember, the little bronze star on the medal/ribbon means LRH claims to have been awarded this twice.
Yep, that's why when I colour-coded that key I wrote up that I left the number of stars on noted in red text (i.e. stolen valour) next to the medal name that he officially earned (in blue text).
(the official personnel records dox do not show that he earned any more than one of each of the 4 medals listed).

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:02 pm

Sponge wrote:

Well yes, in my edit of the New Yorker photo, it is simply the 4 medals that don't have the word "STOLEN" stamped over them that are ones he was confirmed by Official Personnel Records has having earned (you can identify specifically what's what from my subsequently posted Key). The rest are from his dream world. If it's hard to understand at a glance, I'll do a better annotated version later, with all the required info on the photo itself.

No, I get that only 4 are confirmed.

That's perfectly clear.

I'm just wondering if the others ARE COPIES OR PURCHASED FACILMILIES OF THE ONES HE REQUESTED FROM THE NAVY IN 1974.

See what I mean? The Scientologists (directed by LRH) sent a list to the Navy saying, These are the medals LRH deserves. He got 4. So, did he go find the rest on his own?

Or did he just collect some random medals and say, See, look at my medals? That's all I am wondering. I couldn't tell from the description on Touretzky's site if the list he sent in 1974 matched the medals.

It's not a big deal, I was just wondering.

Also, great job, Sekh! So cool you found an article in Dutch.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:32 pm

Glibby, I don't know where he got the other medals from. Same places any savvy collector would I guess, if you want them withstand close scrutiny (not so important if it just the ribbon you have and not the complete medalion). I've no idea if he found bunch of medals, did some checking to see if they were remotely applicable to his service era and then put them on the list of claims in the 1974 document or whether he purchased/pilfered the medals from somewhere after he was told offficially that he only earned 4 out of the 17 listed.
In the photo there is an additional 18th one that is not in the 1974 document.

sekh

Post by sekh » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:09 am

Mr. Gallagher sure does have fantasy, a huge ego and maybe even some writing talent. I wonder if he ever considered making a living writing science fiction stories. Or, even better, start a new religion.... :idea:

Back to Hubs and his stolen valor. The Dutch medal is fake. In 2003 a Dutch journalist, named Jan Willem Nienhuys, writing for the magazine SKEPTER, a sceptical quarterly, did a thorough research on LRH's military history. Enough has been said about his American sham-medals. He legally received just four of them, the same conclusion as found by other researchers.

The Dutch Bronze Cross does exist, and is given to foreign nationals, but L.Ron never got one. I'll paste the part of the story concerning the Dutch medal down here. :!:
Excerpt from “HUBBARD'S HEROICS”, A SEARCH FOR DECORATIONS.
AN ESSAY BY JAN WILLEM NIENHUYS, from the magazine SKEPTER,
march 2003.

The essay is written in Dutch, and researches Hubbard's military history. I only translated the parts about the Dutch decorations, the stuff about fake American medals can be found in original American sources.
The link to the original essay is:http://www.skepsis.nl/hubbard.html

According to data from the American military, Hubbard was stationed in Melbourne, Australia from Dec. 18 1941 to April 2 1942 as an Intelligence officer. He worked as assistant decoder, was sent to the Philippines and quarreled with his superior officers so much that he was sent back to the US in February 1942.
A year later he claimed to have been dropped by parachute near Surabaja, Java (Dutch East Indies) on the day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, Dec.07, 1941. He'd kept himself hidden in the jungle while the Japanese army occupied Java. He was shot in the back by a Japanese patrol armed with machine guns. Then he took a raft and sailed about 600 miles towards Australia, where he was picked up by an Australian (or British) destroyer.

In reality, the Japanese army didn't enter Surabaja before March 08, 1942.According to CoS, Hubbard received a Dutch “Victory Medal” for this episode. Victory medals are given to all military personnel at the end of a war. Hubbard could legally claim four American Victory Medals.
Glaringly absent from the list, both Hubbard's one and the official American version, is the “ U.S. Navy Good Conduct Medal”, given to all Navy-men with more than 3 years of active duty and more than average conduct.

Holland gave a medal called Oorlogsherinneringskruis (War remembrance cross) to Dutch military men who served at least six months during war, or for special courage in combat against the enemy the Bronze Cross (Bronzen Kruis) or Bronze Lion (Bronzen Leeuw), that could also be rewarded to civilians and foreigners. Hubbard claimed in 1947 he was awarded with the Bronze Cross.
There is no such thing as a Dutch Victory Medal. It just doesn't exist.

When confronted with this,the spokesperson of CoS Holland wrote: It is likely to be an American award granted for actions on Dutch territory, like the former Dutch East Indies, where Hubbard was stationed as a navy man.
Later on she wrote the award was a “Kruis voor Verdienste” (Cross for Merit), given to him in 1942. A document of proof was to follow. This document turned out to be a copy from a Danish version of a nameless English handbook about military decorations. This Cross of Merit was supposed to be an award for bravery, instated Feb. 20, 1941, that could be granted to non-Dutch nationals.
The book contains a little mistake: Though the name of the award is Kruis VAN Verdienste, Cross OF Merit, the original ribbon says “voor Verdienste", FOR Merit, on the backside. The photograph in the book doesn't.
It is also clear that the photo, sent to the author as proof of the ownership of the real thing, was a copy from the (badly informed) book.

Backside

The color of the ribbon is dark blue, 3,7 cm wide. The vertical stripe is orange, 6 mm wide.

Frontside, in color

After receiving this information, the writer of this piece contacted the Chancellor of Decorations, and according to the Secretary of the Chancellor, the name L. Ron Hubbard did not appear on the Honor Roll of the Registry, not for the Cross of Merit, nor for the Bronze Cross or Bronze Lion.
There were two Hubbards on the Honor Roll. A British Flying Officer named W. Hubbard, decorated in 1947, and an American Army Major named Frank E. Hubbard, who received his decoration in 1945.
The highly unlikely possibility of a mistake in spelling of first names is thus excluded.

The official spokesperson for the CoS objected to the less than flattering tone of the essay,and doubted the integrity and objectivity of the author and the publisher. I can't resist the temptation of translating her reaction, because it is so typical for CoS. Jeanine Slot, spokesperson for Scientology Amsterdam, says: :---)
If L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of the philosophy of Scientology, would have had a glorious war history, the denigrating way Nienhuys writes about Hubbard and Scientology would not be replaced by a more respectful style.
With his detailed argumentation about crosses and medals he only tries to poke a hole in the greater picture of the Church of Scientology, the organizations related to it, and everything it stands for,
The thousands of official letters of gratitude to Hubbard, the thousands of ex-delinquents that lead a normallife thanks to Hubbard's method, the tens of thousands that got off drugs thanks to his method, the hundreds of thousands of schoolchildren who get better results thanks to his method, it's all inconsequential to Nienhuys!

Dear mister Nienhuys; if I had the conviction that delivering Hubbard's medal, which you are so desperately looking for, personally at your doorstep would help to stop your intense desire to write to ruins everything that doesn't fit into your narrow "scientific" mold, I would consider having the medal flown over from the US. I am however not convinced it would make any difference, so why don't we just leave it at that.
(All copyrights belong to Jan Willem Nienhuys and the publishers of "Skepter" magazine.)

I hope this has been helpful,

Sekh :salut:

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:22 am

Has the cult ever produced a photo of Hubbard in military uniform wearing the entire claimed fruit salad on his chest?
I can't find one.
Is Tommy Davis going to tell us that it's because Hubbard was too modest, lol.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:31 am

Wow, Sekh, you just earned the OCMB Newbie of the month award, with two palms and a star. Nice job.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:50 am

So let's have a summary....

>> CLICK HERE FOR THE ORIGINAL HIGH-RESOLUTION VERSION OF THE ABOVE PHOTO <<

KEY to above photo:
Left to right, top to bottom. R=Ribbon. M=Medal.

Red text = stolen valour
Blue text = Official navy record
"R--" or "M--" dashes indicate missing corresponding medal or ribbon.

*R1, M8 = Navy Pistol Marksmanship Medal (Expert)
*R2, M13 = Navy Rifle Marksmanship Medal (Expert)
R3, M-- = Médaille commémorative de la Guerre de 1939 - 1945 (French commemorative Medal 1939-1945)
R4, M-- = "Bronzen Kruis" (Netherlands Bronze Cross)
R5, M-- = The (British) Star medal 1939-1945
R6, M6 = Philippine Defense Medal (+3 silver stars)
R7. M14 = Armed Forces Reserve Medal
R8, M9 = National Defense Service Medal
R9, M5 = World War II Victory Medal (US) (dec 1941- dec 1946)
R10, M7 = European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal (+ 2 Bronze stars)
R11, M4 = American Campaign Medal (+2 Bronze stars)
R12, M10 = Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (+2 Bronze stars)
R13, M3 = American Defense Service Medal (+ 1 Bronze star)
R14, M-- Organised Marine Corp Reserve Medal
R15, M2 = Naval Reserve Medal
R16, M11 = Purple Heart
R17, M1 = Navy & Marine Corps Commendation Medal (+1 Bronze star)
R--, M12 = Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal

Notes:
* The two marksman medals appear listed on the offical letter of seperation but not on official personnel records so whether he actually earned them is in dispute. However, the particular ones displayed in the photo weren't even issued before 1969 (when by that time he was obviously well out of the military).

Stars on medals: These indicate that the same medal was awarded more than once. Official records show that out of the 4 medals that Hubbard was entitled to, there was only one of each awarded. 4 medals, no stars.
i.e. each star on the ribbons that have them is another instance of stolen valour.
Since we are not 100% sure whether multiple instances (number of stars) are officially recorded in every case, then the best that can be said for Hubbard's claims is that it is disputed, at worst it s stolen valour. No alternative proof has been offered as to whether these stars were earned.

The Ribbon block is displayed upside down. That means the stripes on R5 (which is the only one not symmetrical) are in the opposite order as shown. Correct way up, R5 visually identifies as the (British) STAR medal 1939-45 and not the The War Medal 1939-45 (British) that is claimed on the 1974 cult document (which has a totally different ribbon). Eitherway, Hubbard didn't earn it.

All medalions displayed are the minature versions. i.e. the ones you might wear on your dress uniform for ceremonies.
Example here: http://www.paradestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=181
The full size ones are the ones you'd normally keep at home on display on stashed away in their original boxes beause they would be just too huge to wear even just a few together. You have to wonder why they didn't have any of the full size versions of these medals for display, especially the ones he earned.

The total number of medals claimed in the cult documents is 17.
The actual number of unique military medals and ribbons in the photo given to the Lawrence Wright in the New Yorker adds up to 18. That's one more than they originally claimed on their 1974 letter to the Navy Branch of the National Personnel Records Center. The extra one is M12 in the key above.
Even their lies are lies.

Thanks for the help guys. If anyone has any more input then feel free.
Keep checking back to this post for any corrections.

Return to “Media Reports”