Protester arrested at "Stand Tall" raid at Celebrity Centre

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
mnql1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Protester arrested at "Stand Tall" raid at Celebrity Centre

Post by mnql1 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:56 am

Benny's Friend/Resistance is Futile and I'mglib report that a protester has just been arrested at the "Stand Tall" raid at the Celebrity Centre in Los Angeles.

LRonAnon

Re: Protester arrested at "Stand Tall" raid at Celebrity Cen

Post by LRonAnon » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:09 am

By that mean little moto-cop that has an affinity for the cult. I've never had positive experience with that guy.
[b][url=http://tinyurl.com/5bljfh]Lighthouse Letter[/url] - [url=http://tinyurl.com/6hepqw]Love is Why[/url] - [url=http://tinyurl.com/6ap4ya]Human Rites[/url] - [url=http://tinyurl.com/6gevj2]SeaArrgh[/url][/b]

mnql1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mnql1 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:23 am

It is reported that the protester got into a dispute with police over the street closure permits. Other pedestrians were allowed to freely walk down the streets.

mnql1

Post by mnql1 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:30 am

Benny's Friend/Resistance is Futile and I'mglib recorded the incident on video.

AngryGayPope

This is not good

Post by AngryGayPope » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:00 am

What protester was it?

mnql1

Post by mnql1 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:02 am

The protest is over now. Kendrick Moxon was there.

The person who was arrested was with Mark Lowell and has been present at other protests.

EDIT: It is not Mark who was arrested, but Mark tried to walk up the street and the police officer attempted to physically stop him. The other person got involved, but that's all for the moment.

AngryGayPope

Mark is very good at pushing the cops re: street closures

Post by AngryGayPope » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:36 am

About a year ago Mark risked arrest to force the cops outside the Author Svcs bldg on Hollywood Boulevard to allow people to walk on the street. He also knows the law really well about such things.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:20 am

Well, that was exciting.

Unfortunately I'm not sure what the outcome of the incident was, and whether the arrest actually resulted in someone being taken in. One protester was cuffed by a cop, and another was told he couldn't walk down the street.

The two cops involved definitely seemed to be pro Scientology.

The event was the anniversary of the Celebrity Center. There were a lot of people decked out in tuxes and formal attire. It seemed there was a stage set up in the parking lot, and there were tall fences all around. The Scientologists spent a loooong time talking to the cops, I presume to try to figure out a way to keep us off the sidewalk, but one protester had the street closure permit with him, and successfully argued that we were allowed on the sidewalk.

I am pretty sure they were cooking bacon or ham inside, because it smelled pretty good.

We had some great signs and music, and got tons of honks, thumbs up, etc. Neighbors came out to talk to us and complain about the Scientologists. SO MUCH OSA AND SECURITY GUARDS! We saw Moxon there, too, after the incident with the protesters and the cops.

And, we had a out-of-town guest--Arnie Lerma! I'll bet they were surprised to see him.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Benny's Friend

Post by Benny's Friend » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:35 pm

Here's the video of Doug on the phone with the police department attempting a citizen's arrest on one officer while the protester-arrest drama plays out in the background.

http://youtu.be/SqxCeWFUu1Q
The more who speak out, the more who get out.

magoo1

Post by magoo1 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Very odd to me: Why is it they're OK with Doug standing there,
talking, but literally shove (is it Steve?) out almost on the street? If you look,
a foot or more and he would have been hit by that car.

Doesn't that fall under "Police Brutality"?

I need more info on what all went down. We left a bit earlier than this.
Was that the same cop *I* had a spat with?

Thanks to all who did come out and picket! :alien:

Tory/Magoo

Benny's Friend

Post by Benny's Friend » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:57 pm

More pics from the protest.

Glibby standing off against...the other corner.

There were protesters staged at both street entrances paralleling CC (and leading to the parking lots). Police shenanigans started earlier in the day at the west end (Tamarind and Franklin Aves) when the eventual "arresting" office swept protesters a considerable distance back from the street and entrance so a "film crew" (a couple of older overdressed IAS members with cameras) could "film their shot" of arriving guests. At one point Tory voiced her objection to the violation of her Constitutional rights, and that is when it became apparent that this officer was Church friendly.

What a good lookin' bunch of protesters!

Check out Arnie's facial hair...

Glib and I in "We Stand Tall" t-shirts. Killawog's speaks for itself.

A large contingency of scawy-faced black uniformed men quickly arrived on the scene.

Some other scawy-faced guys wearing black. Moxon's the one with shoe lifts.

The protester appeared to be arrested but whether he was booked or not we do not know.

We had three rounds of "handlers" who, I believe, were meant to get Susan and I to leave the scene. The first was a rather odd young fellow who started pelting Susan with questions. "Why did he push that cop?" "What kind of person puts his hands on a cop?" Susan completely ignored him and continued filming. I started asking him questions. Why are you talking to her? Why don't you leave us alone? Why does your church force its members to get abortions? Where is Shelley Miscavige? My last words to him were, you're dreaming.

He seemed to be speaking into a microphone clipped inside his lapel. (video clip forthcoming) (Yes, those are extremely dark circles under his eyes.)

EDIT: Here's the video clip.

The second "handler" was a crude-mouthed little fellow to whom my only words were, you're disgusting. The third handler was Jason True who was adorable, as usual. Listen, OSA, always send Jason out to handle us, ok? He's smart enough to know how to behave appropriately (so there's no embarrassing clips of him posted all over the internets) and he is a delightful distraction.

The more who speak out, the more who get out.

bagelboi

Post by bagelboi » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:04 pm

Every one of you are my heroes.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Love the shirts, ladies. Inspiring. You stand tall, Hey La-Li-La.

Arnie, Tory, looking good.

AngryGayPope

Question

Post by AngryGayPope » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:21 am

How many cultist guests would you estimate came to the event?

Gumbythetruth

Post by Gumbythetruth » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:05 am

Sweeet!

Return to “Opinions & Debate”