New Narconon Facility -- Canyon Oaks School

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
J. Swift

New Narconon Facility -- Canyon Oaks School

Post by J. Swift » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:42 pm

Topix.net is PR website that has a Scientology section:

http://www.topix.net/religion/scientology

An article that caught my attention is something I have been watching for quite some time, and that is the conversion of the cult's old Canyon Oaks Ranch School to a Narconon facility.

Canyon Oaks has always been off the public's radar:

The school, like so many other Scientology facilities, is located in a remote area. The school is in Bouquet Canyon, a remote area in the extreme northeast corner of Los Angeles County. The school fronts Bouquet Canyon Road, a road I know well from riding motorcycles. The road is one of the best "rice rocket" rides in L.A. County. A lot of Harley's also do this ride as Big Oaks cafe is midway in and people stop there for an iced tea or a beer and a sandwhich.

Bouquet Canyon is beautiful oak country. In this next photo we see one of the new buildings (left in the background) for the planned Narconon site:

Bouquet Canyon road begins in Santa Clarita in what used to be the city of Saugus. The road run for fifty miles from Saugus and ends at Elizabeth Lake Road in the Mojave Desert highlands at 2500 feet.

Two years ago I saw that Canyon Oaks had been shut down. Then I saw a For Sale sign on the property.

(Cont next post)
Last edited by J. Swift on Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:47 am, edited 6 times in total.

J. Swift

Post by J. Swift » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:48 pm

The For Sale sign went down the old school was empty except for a caretaker:

Then one day last year I saw this sign appear:

I wanted to go to the hearing and couldn't make it. The neighbors in the area are concerned and DO NOT WANT Scientology to put drug addicts into this beautiful back country.
SAUGUS - A Scientology-based treatment facility hopes to soon open shop on Bouquet Canyon Road to treat adults with drug and alcohol addictions.

Representatives from Narconon Southern California are scheduled to appear today before the county's Regional Planning Commission for a permit to develop the facility on the 30.4-acre site, once home to a children's boarding school.

The Leona Valley Town Council wants the application denied.

In a letter sent last month to the commission, the community group cited concerns about the impact the center would have on the environment and local welfare.

Jim Davis, a former president of the council, said some became scared of what the treatment center could bring to the area, and that only a small percentage supported it. Davis was not involved with the letter.

``I think it was a fear factor,'' Davis said. ``And I think the Scientology scared people, which was sad.'
ref: http://www.knowledgeplex.org/news/137733.html

Well, Jim Davis is a fool. People should be worried about Scientology entering any community and about drug addicts being in a place where families live.

It looks like DM has decided that making money treating drug addicts -- and Narconon makes a lot of money -- is better than dumping cash into failing Orgs. Too bad DM wants to ruin a beautiful canyon. I hope the plan goes down to defeat.

I'mglib
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Narconon Facility

Post by I'mglib » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:44 am

Bump.

Is this the school Daniel Montalvo went to?
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

J. Swift

Re: New Narconon Facility

Post by J. Swift » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:05 am

I'mglib wrote:Bump.

Is this the school Daniel Montalvo went to?
Yes it is.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/

Smurf
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re:

Post by Smurf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:14 am

J. Swift wrote:The For Sale sign went down the old school was empty except for a caretaker. I wanted to go to the hearing and couldn't make it. The neighbors in the area are concerned and DO NOT WANT Scientology to put drug addicts into this beautiful back country.

People should be worried about Scientology entering any community and about drug addicts being in a place where families live.
I dunno. Residents usually want to see addicts housed away from their communities and the old Canyon Ranch location seems to be a perfect fit for that. When's the last time you were out there, Swift?

I drove out there several months ago and it is an isolated area.. except for some old buildings badly in need of repair & a Winnebago (I presume is the caretaker's), there's nothing out there except alot of brush, a worn volleyball net and several basketball hoops.

skeptic2girl

Re: New Narconon Facility -- Canyon Oaks School

Post by skeptic2girl » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:06 am

Yeah, on the one hand, people might have a knee-jerk reaction to being neighbors (however distant) of a rehab facility. At the very least, it could drive down property values. Then again, when you compare something like that to, say, hosting a landfill in your neighborhood, maybe it's not so bad.

(Believe me, I'm definitely pro people getting off drugs and I think they need help. Obviously not from Narconon. But I would hate to chastise people in Bouquet Canyon for a thing which doesn't affect me directly. I say all this because even though people may be anti-Scientology, I feel like the vast majority aren't aware of the evils of Narconon. And J. Swift, you're right. That Jim Davis guy IS a, well, let's just say he needs to educate himself.)

BUT it is RIGHT ON that the town would reject the cult building a cash cow in what looks like beautiful country. I believe an excellent way of taking the cult down is just not letting them lay their heads anywhere at all: that the public will be so onto them that they will not be welcome in any town.

I very much look forward to the day when Clearwater chases the cult out of town. That was an evil day when Tubby Hubby dropped anchor there.

So Smurf, has nothing come of the Bouquet Canyon Narconon plan yet?
"The truth is out there."

J. Swift

Re: Re:

Post by J. Swift » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:07 am

Smurf wrote:...I drove out there several months ago and it is an isolated area.. except for some old buildings badly in need of repair & a Winnebago (I presume is the caretaker's), there's nothing out there except alot of brush, a worn volleyball net and several basketball hoops.
Smurf:

1. Hollywood has made you geographically challenged. Civilization does not end at Balboa and the 5 in the San Fernando Valley as you suppose. Civilization actually extends into Santa Clarita and Antelope Valley. Canyon Oaks is only fifteen minutes away from Santa Clarita and Antelope Valley, both of which have millions of residents. I am told that Civilization then extends on for some distance -- and apparently there are oceans continents and such -- but as I have never ventured beyond the railroad tracks in Tehachapi I am unable to personally verify the existence of these claimed landmasses and oceans.

2. There are a few thousand people who live in the mountains surrounding Canyon Oaks. They don't want Narconon drug addicts in their quiet mountain enclaves.

3. Rancid Cultist Tony Alamo has a compound just across the ridge from Canyon Oaks on Sierra Highway. Surely it is asking too much of any community to have both Alamo followers and Scilons in the same area.

4. I was just in Bouquet Canyon last week and often hike there.

/////
Last edited by J. Swift on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:09 am

This is the Leona Valley Narconon, correct?

There was HUGE opposition from neighbors and community, including critics on this board.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:05 am

Related discussion:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=19282

From a comment by Karen De La Carriere / Jentzsch (Karen#1) on Marty's blog:
Karen#1 // July 19, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Reply

The destruction of all things to do with the 2nd dynamic is a David Miscavige special.

[SNIP]

+ There is a Loft in downtown Los Angeles with some very inexpensive interlocking apartments where a huge bunch of ex SO kids live. They are known as the LOST BOYS. Many have parents at INT BASE, some in other SO locations. The parents do not have parent time and give these kids no parenting. They are lucky if their parents see them once a year. Their parents are working from 8am to midnight for David Miscavige. These “Lost Boys” were raised in the Sea Org ranch at 36491 Bouquet Canyon some 2 hours from Los Angeles. They were raised to defy authority and never report anything to Law enforcement.

+ I hired one of them for some 6 months as an assistant in the last year. One Saturday night on Hollywood Boulevard this kid got beaten up by a gang member badly. Police and ambulance came. He was taken to a hospital unconscious. His girlfriend call me and told me what had occurred. I made a bunch of calls to OSA, to the Chaplain at GOLD repeatedly.

HIS MOTHER WAS NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE GOLD TO COME DOWN WITH HER SON IN HOSPITAL AFTER BEING BEATEN UNCONSCIOUS. She was on post at INT BASE (GOLD). This young man like several of the LOST BOYS have experimented with drugs, have a complete lack of self discipline but hey ~~~ their parents are working around the clock for “COB.”

DM application of LRH policy of Way to Happiness, and 2d references.

Smurf

Re: Re:

Post by Smurf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:06 am

J. Swift wrote:Smurf:

1. Canyon Oaks is only fifteen minutes away from Santa Clarita and Antelope Valley, both of which have millions of residents.

2. There are a few thousand people who live in the mountains surrounding Canyon Oaks. They don't want Narconon drug addicts in their quiet mountain enclaves.
Seriously, you rural people whine too much. Canyon Oaks being a 15 minute drive away from highly populated areas is a very long distance from Santa Clarita & AV, Swift, unless you're driving a tricycle....

The residents that who are doing most of the protesting would be the same rednecks that would scream foul if they learned that a gay couple was moving into the area.

I've travelled outside Hollywood many times, Swifty, and done my share of hiking in them thar hills, and the only residents I've come across in the canyon around Canyon Oaks are snakes & fire ants.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:19 am

Sponge wrote:Related discussion:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=19282

From a comment by Karen De La Carriere / Jentzsch (Karen#1) on Marty's blog:
Karen#1 // July 19, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Reply

The destruction of all things to do with the 2nd dynamic is a David Miscavige special.

[SNIP]

+ There is a Loft in downtown Los Angeles with some very inexpensive interlocking apartments where a huge bunch of ex SO kids live. They are known as the LOST BOYS. Many have parents at INT BASE, some in other SO locations. The parents do not have parent time and give these kids no parenting. They are lucky if their parents see them once a year. Their parents are working from 8am to midnight for David Miscavige. These “Lost Boys” were raised in the Sea Org ranch at 36491 Bouquet Canyon some 2 hours from Los Angeles. They were raised to defy authority and never report anything to Law enforcement.

+ I hired one of them for some 6 months as an assistant in the last year. One Saturday night on Hollywood Boulevard this kid got beaten up by a gang member badly. Police and ambulance came. He was taken to a hospital unconscious. His girlfriend call me and told me what had occurred. I made a bunch of calls to OSA, to the Chaplain at GOLD repeatedly.

HIS MOTHER WAS NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE GOLD TO COME DOWN WITH HER SON IN HOSPITAL AFTER BEING BEATEN UNCONSCIOUS. She was on post at INT BASE (GOLD). This young man like several of the LOST BOYS have experimented with drugs, have a complete lack of self discipline but hey ~~~ their parents are working around the clock for “COB.”

DM application of LRH policy of Way to Happiness, and 2d references.

Whoa, that's crazy. Thanks for bringing this over.

It really gets to me when kids are treated this way.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”