Scientology books at the university library

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SP_thats_me
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Scientology books at the university library

Post by SP_thats_me » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:10 am

My school library has a rather impressive selection of scientology literature

Here is a partial list, along with the publication year:

Handbook for Pre Clears (76)

Dianetics 55! (71)

WIS (78, 92)

Organization Executive Course volumes 0-7 (76)

an incomplete series of OEC (91)

Tech Bulletiins volumes I- VIII, Auditing Series IX, Case Supervisor
Series X

VM Handbook (79)

D:MSMH (85)

Child Dianetics (80)

Creation of Human Ability(76)

Dianetics: Evolution of a Science (79)

Fundamentals of Thought (75)

Group Auditors Handbook volumes 1 and 2

The Scientology Handbook in both english and Spanish

Scientology 0-8 (76)

There are a few other books, but these are the main ones that caught my eye. Mixed in with the scientology books are copies of Bare Faced Messiah and A Piece of Blue Sky. Would any of these old books contain things significantly different than the newer editions published after Hubbard's death, and of so, has anyone done any research on it? I'm aware some people have found differences between older and newer copies of Dianetics, but I havn't heard anything about these somewhat more obscure books.

Also, I saw someone at school today with a Xenu is my Homeboy shirt, so I had to stop and compliment him on it :)

spacecootie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Scientology books at the university library

Post by spacecootie » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:53 am

SP_thats_me wrote:Would any of these old books contain things significantly different than the newer editions published after Hubbard's death, and of so, has anyone done any research on it?
I dunno... but with you there, I hope all of the $cientology books in the library also include a Xenu flyer. :wink:

SP_thats_me

Post by SP_thats_me » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:48 pm

Someone (not me) has already written things like "Scientology is a scam" and xenu.net in all of the books. Otherwise I'd be putting flyers in them.

juju

Post by juju » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:51 pm

Wow,

that is an impressive selection for a university! Even the Tech volumes are there!

I do disagree with them vandalising these books. If they wanted them removed they could have contacted a Uni Librarian or a member of staff- nothing justifys vandalising books. People should have the right to look at everything. I doubt very much they would put swastikas in Jewish books.

There are critical books there which would provide a balance.

regards,

juju
Last edited by juju on Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hboats

Post by hboats » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:56 pm

juju wrote:I do disagree with you vandalising these books.

regards,

juju
Didn't you see that SP said that someone else did it, not him?

Rick (hboats)

juju

Post by juju » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:58 pm

Ah Rick,

I have change You to They.

thank you!

Juju.

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:39 pm

Scientology books are often donated by scientologists to schools and universities. OSA is known to "remove" critical books from libraries.

Young idealistic people are vulnerable to cults, and that is when many of us joined. I did, and here is a post I wrote last year about it:

Ladybird

By: Ladybird

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:32 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got into scientology as a teenage college student in the 70s after reading Dianetics in my college library, and sending in the prepaid, trifold "personality test" pamphlet somebody had stuck in the book.

Within a few days, 2 very nice scientologists showed up at my door, and invited me to an "EVENT" at a fancy hotel where there were lots of people and some celebrities. I was very impressed, and became a public, taking courses and auditing.

Eventually I joined staff, and then the Sea Org, where I stayed for way too many years. I was trained in Tech, Admin, OSA/PR and did mission and PR training, had tons of auditing.

I held a number of posts from tech to Executive, and did some Missions and special projects.

I had alot of good times and was a fully deluded adherent, but things changed drastically after David Miscavige took over. More and more control, and less and less freedom and fun.

I was suddenly declared and dumped on the street late one night after years of dedicated service and upstats (up-statistics) because I refused to go along with something I believed was out-Tech, off Policy and just plain WRONG. There is a story here, but I am not ready to tell it all, and when I do it will be to the media.

I blamed DM and management, and was sure I would be reprieved, or at least allowed the proper ethics gradient of doing the RPF. I filed all the proper appeals. I still believed in LRH, even though he was dead. I had a family and many friends I was not allowed to talk to (disconnected).

Meanwhile, I went back to finish my degree, and got on the Internet for the first time. When I googled my own name, Operation Clambake came up. I read all the stuff here, many stories of my old friends who had suddenly disappeared with no explanation. I realized that what happened to them had just happened to me, too. I learned alot about cults and psychology in college as well, and did many of my research papers and speeches in school about scientology, cults, hypnotism, etc.

I woke up. My purpose in being here is to help others wake up, too. I want all my family and friends out of scientology. I hope that my experience and knowledge of the inner workings of the cult can help others with family and friends in the cult and will help them get their loved ones to wake up and leave scientology.

Scientology needs to be exposed for the manipulative, mind bending, family wrecking, money grubbing, life ruining scam that it is.

I want scientology to stop hurting people and stop committing illegal acts.

Ladybird

PS to OSA: My story is already written up in affidavit form, and in the hands of an attorney. I have already talked to media. Even if you think you have guessed who I am (which I doubt, because scientology has done the same dirty tricks over and over to countless of their victims) you should be nice to me, because I WILL cause a big "FLAP".

Meanwhile, you might consider stopping some of your more obnoxious illegal practices, like disconnection, RPF, death by litigation, fair game, coerced abortions, child abuse and neglect, INS violations, elder abuse, fair wage violations, housing code and fire code violations, abuse of the welfare system by providing no benefits to your slave workers but giving them indigent forms so they can get free services at county hospitals, separating families and intimidating the custodial spouse from filing for child support while offering legal services to sue the other for cash support, etc.

Scientology is scum. A scam through and through.

Ladybird

PSS: FYI I always posted as Ladybird here on OCMB, but when the board was updated my old posts showed up as "Tammy"(my username). My first posts were in the early months of 2005. I re-registered as Ladybird because I wanted to keep my nick, and had switched to DSL.

SP_thats_me

Post by SP_thats_me » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:10 am

juju wrote: I do disagree with them vandalising these books. If they wanted them removed they could have contacted a Uni Librarian or a member of staff- nothing justifys vandalising books. People should have the right to look at everything. I doubt very much they would put swastikas in Jewish books.

There are critical books there which would provide a balance.

regards,

juju
While I don't agree with writing in books, writing "visit xenu.net" in the front cover hardly constitutes vandalism and is not inhibiting people from looking at the book. No pages have been ripped out and nothing yhas been scribbled or crossed out in the actual text.

Comparing a website link to a swastika is probably the most absurd thing I've heard all day, and i just got back from a conference on Intelligent Design.

programmer_guy

Post by programmer_guy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:34 am

Scientology books are in the U.C. Riverside Library.

However, I noticed that some of them are no longer there.

It looks like they were donated (no surprise) by Scientologists that were at the Riverside Mission, a long time ago. The names of those who donated them are written in some of the books. Would you like the names?

Tsar von Humbug

Post by Tsar von Humbug » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:28 am

Public libraries are one thing. Public libraries should have everything available, everything from Lewis Carroll to Mein Kampf.

However the availability of cult literature in schools leaves me with an uneasy feeling. I can't help feeling that this is pretty sleazy of the cult going after young kids at school. The kids exposed to this shit won't have the necessary maturity to be able to realize the lies or make sensible choices.

Oh, university library I see. Well, cults are of academic interest, so I suppose having Hubbard's claptrap on the shelves is perfectly acceptable.
[url=http://www.mediafire.com/?x06z9idz1yb]Protest Flyer.[/url] [url=http://www.mediafire.com/?xw30w1xlydf]Tax Flyer.[/url] [url=http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst]Prof Touretzky's Site.[/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li_rIfMguyg]London 3/15[/url]

Return to “Opinions & Debate”