Bent Corydon's excellent must read book.....

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
chuckbeatty
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Bent Corydon's excellent must read book.....

Post by chuckbeatty » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:21 pm

I highly recommend ex members, particularly people who've done a decade or two in Scientology, and who are now out, who read books, to read Bent's excellent book.

I've been out of Scientology exactly 4 years now, and I finally got around to start reading it.

Bent interviews some very significant people who knew LRH up-close,
from the 1940s and 1950s, and the book's range and depth is the best in my opinion.

Scientologists usually have only heard LRH's side of the story. It is enlightening to hear other versions of these same stories, and my vote goes to these people's versions of the stories as opposed to LRH's versions of these events.

If ex members haven't read Bent's book, I highly recommend especially ex decades long staffers read it.

LRH's 1940s, 1950s lifestyle and behavior, is jaw-droppingly similar to LRH's bad behavior throughout his life.

Expert longtime observers of Scientology comment in shortened version what Bent's books gives ample detailed on the ground firsthand statements by the people who lived with LRH in the 1940s, and 1950s.

But also Bent freely praises what attracted him to LRH and Scientology, but then reflects on the unnoticed downside, which he only later concluded:

page 337-8 of the 1996 edition:

"I audited all sorts of people who told me their intimate problems and considerations. Here I was 19 years old, and men and women twice or three times my age were baring their souls to me. It was quite an experience. I grew up fast.

"At the same time, looking back at it, because of the 'wins' I was having, I became increasingly inclined to see nothing wrong with Hubbard and Scientology.

"Hubbard and his organization, of which I really knew very little, were somehow superimposed onto the good feelings inspired by decent, caring people involved with these counseling techniques. Hubbard became equated in my mind with happiness, freedom and ability.

"I began to credit Hubbard with, among other things, my feeling of being superior to virtually any challenge presented to me.

"Hubbard also began to become equated with my own intentions for helping Mankind. These intentions had always been there, but now they were, in my mind, increasingly being credited to Hubbard.

"The natural good feelings of esprit de corps that evolve as a group works together for a common purpose, somehow also was credited to Hubbard. 'Ron's wonderful tech' was the reason I was receiving admiration from those I assisted.

"I had joined because of the anti-authoritarian message. I failed to notice at the time that the message was coming from an ultra-authoritarian source...."

Bent Corydon from pages 337-338 "L. Ron Hubbard, MESSIAH or MADMAN", 1996 edition.
Chuck Beatty 412-260-1170
Pittsburgh, USA,
"Our bombastic lapidary style is good only for inflating dwarfs." Jean-Jacques Rousseau (from "Emile, or On Education")

tom_

Post by tom_ » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Yes Chuck, this book is a must read. I got my first copy in 1993.
I was blown away.

Another bonus for me was, just last year, I met Bent in person. He's really a super neat, warm, and down-to-earth guy.

:)

Tom
----------------
www.thebridgemovie.net

Sponge
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sponge » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:55 pm

I also recommend this TV documentary:
The Secret Life of L.Ron Hubbard.
Made in the UK and First shown in 1997 on Channel 4.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4324100028

tom_

Post by tom_ » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:47 pm

Thanks for the link on that Sponge.

Other must-reads are....

Bare Faced Messiah ~ Russell Miller

Piece of Blue Sky ~ Jon Atack

Scandal of Scientology ~ Paulette Cooper

There are more too.

<<<>>>

programmer_guy

Post by programmer_guy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:11 am

Chuck,

Yes, it is a good book.

I think that the one I read, a long time ago, was the 1987 edition. It has had some revisions since then.
I'll read the latest when I get a round tuit. :D

Snow White

Post by Snow White » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:47 pm

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:39 pm

Yes, all excellent reads. I would further recommend that people read these before signing up for even one class, reading these if you have a family member who is a member or friends for that matter.

chuckbeatty

Post by chuckbeatty » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:59 am

brownjedi wrote:Yes, all excellent reads. I would further recommend that people read these before signing up for even one class, reading these if you have a family member who is a member or friends for that matter.

Absolutely agreed! The Secret Library on CMU's site by Prof Touretzky, there's so many other excellent writings one can access also. I particularly liked the old New Zealand government report on Scientology, and the Australian report and the UK reports.

There is months of reading on Scientology that captures all of Hubbard's and Scientology's faults.

Hubbard challenges followers to let those newcomers who want to quit, to quit fast! That's what Hubbard says in Keeping Scientology Working. I agree. People should be allowed to quit fast.

If Scientology were straight with all their demographics, I think the statistics would show a HUGE proportion of people who cross paths with Scientology drop Scientology pretty quickly.
Pittsburgh, USA,
"Our bombastic lapidary style is good only for inflating dwarfs." Jean-Jacques Rousseau (from "Emile, or On Education")

mr_bad

Post by mr_bad » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:41 am

Each biography sheds light from a different perspective. And they are pretty decent. They are all worth reading, and they all some jaw dropping moments.

They all lead one to conclude the game of Scientology is coming to an end sooner or later. Scientology as the world knows it will come to an end.
Here's Jabba the Hub as he writes crappy sci-fi while his wife sits prison...OT Priorities personified!!!

peter

Post by peter » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:29 pm

Soderqvist1: But who was telling the truth in the book?

Page 286-287: SARA: "Dianetics, the Modern Science of Mental Health took some eighteen months to write. The majority of it was written in Savannah, Georgia, then Bayhead and Elizabeth, New Jersey. "He was the happiest I'd ever seen him when he wrote. In Savannah, where he wrote part of Dianetics, he was doing great. We had a wonderful time. I thought there was some validity to Dianetics, and that Ron had something to contribute.

Penthouse Nibs: he told me that he had written the book in one month.
You see, his goal was basically to write the book, take the money and run.

chuckbeatty

Post by chuckbeatty » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:54 am

peter wrote:Soderqvist1: But who was telling the truth in the book?

Page 286-287: SARA: "Dianetics, the Modern Science of Mental Health took some eighteen months to write. The majority of it was written in Savannah, Georgia, then Bayhead and Elizabeth, New Jersey. "He was the happiest I'd ever seen him when he wrote. In Savannah, where he wrote part of Dianetics, he was doing great. We had a wonderful time. I thought there was some validity to Dianetics, and that Ron had something to contribute.

Penthouse Nibs: he told me that he had written the book in one month.
You see, his goal was basically to write the book, take the money and run.

Not to rationalize for Hubbard, but he's typical of almost every human being, when discussing some "significant" moment in their lives, they will revisit the moment and describe it slightly differently to different audiences, and the different occassions they remember and describe the same incident, their memory will supply them with various bits and pieces of what really happened, so that the net result is different re-tellings of the same life's events.

That's why books on Scientology are important. The more the merrier is my view. If more people were paid to poke through all that Hubbard wrote and lectured and blustered about his "great" accomplishments, if
scholars and book writres spent the time and just went through all that
Hubbard wrote and lectured (all publicly available material to start)
they could pull all the Hubbard statements he made about how he wrote Dianetics.

No body's yet fully written on ALL of Hubbard's writings in detail.

No university nor book publisher will fund such research since the opinion is Scientology and Hubbard are viewed as understood sufficiently to be dismissed from warranting further detailed research.

Hubbard claims Scientology will improve people, and Hubbard certainly implies Scientology makes "OTs", but we don't see any OTs.
We don't see Clears per Hubbard's DMSMH definition.
Pittsburgh, USA,

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:00 pm

I have been avoiding this book, but now I'm reading it thanks to the posting of this thread.

It seems that I cannot get through five pages without thinking, 'Damn! I am glad I'm out!'

For those looking to read this book you will find it on the Operation Clambake web site. Here's the URL.

http://www.clambake.org/archive/books/m ... Madman.txt
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

chuckbeatty

Post by chuckbeatty » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:52 am

Wieber wrote:I have been avoiding this book, but now I'm reading it thanks to the posting of this thread.

It seems that I cannot get through five pages without thinking, 'Damn! I am glad I'm out!'

For those looking to read this book you will find it on the Operation Clambake web site. Here's the URL.

http://www.clambake.org/archive/books/m ... Madman.txt
I think it was in Bent's book, that I read about LRH's living in the trailer, at Jack Parson's room renting house in Pasadena. That was in the late 1940s. LRH drove his little pull along Winnebago-like trailer to Jack's house, and parked it there and lived in his trailer.

I found this so amazing, since LRH passed away living in a Winnebago like mobile trailer, his "Bluebird" (a high end brand, but the actual Bluebird LRH last lived and died in, I toured it, all ASI staff and most Int staff during the 1980s and 1990s got a glimpse of what it looked like inside).

Anyways, was interesting that LRH in the 1940s lived in a trailer, before the whole Dianetics and Scientology thing, and then when LRH was retired up near San Louis Obisbo, on his ranch near Creston, he dies in a trailer mobile vehicle!

LRH in my opinion was not the opulant luxurious type, I consider him more the hoarder miser obsessive megalomaniac type.

When at ASI, when I was doing a project of ensuring all of LRH's despatches to ASI staff were on the in house computer system for ASI staff reference, I noticed a few of LRH's despatches to ASI people who bought LRH's clothes, etc, during those times when he needed someone to do his shopping for him, I suppose because he dared not show up in public at all. He seemed to like to buy things in two's. Two pairs of pants, two pairs of shoes ditto, etc. He'd get different colors, but bought things in pairs of two's.

The details of all that LRH did, his whole wealth of orders, I hope someday the full bulk of his voluminous writings are publicly available.

Maybe when DM's gone, someone will allow Danny Sherman to open up. I don't even know if Danny's allowed to read all the LRH traffic to all the various echelons, and I don't know that Danny has read all LRH's traffic to ASI for instance.

Nobody's got a handle on looking at all that LRH has written. It repels most people's interest.

I do think the excellent books done so far on LRH, and Bent's a must read in my opinion, all do get Hubbard and Scientology essentially correctly, unquestionably.
Pittsburgh, USA,

Return to “Opinions & Debate”