CofS owns 200 million dollars worth of property in Pinellas

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
P. Don Ron
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

CofS owns 200 million dollars worth of property in Pinellas

Post by P. Don Ron » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:25 am

Briefly, CofS owns 82 parcels (properties) in Pinellas County, Florida (the area around Flag Land Base).

As of November 2007, in round numbers, the combined value of these 82 parcels is 200 million dollars.
Because of exemptions, the taxable value is 96 million dollars.

Property taxes without any exemptions would be 4 million dollars.
But CofS claims exemptions of 2 million dollars to reduce the property taxes to 2 million dollars.

Now the details.

This information is freely available from the Pinellas County Property Appraiser at http://www.pcpao.org/
Top left of the web site, click on "search our database", select "by name".
Click "I accept cookies", and click "continue".
Type "Church of Scientology" in the "Owner or business name" and click "Submit query".

You can then see all 82 parcels. Click on the parcel number to see the detail for that one parcel. On the right column, compare the value for "Taxes" with "Taxes without any exemptions".

(Thanks to Sea Horse for providing the link details in an earlier thread.)

The combined values and exemptions of the 82 parcels as of November 2007 as follows:

• Just / Market Value : $200,482,000.00

• Taxable Value : $96,232,746.00

• Taxes without any Exemptions : $4,106,172.90

• Taxes : $2,011,962.63

• Total savings from Tax Exemptions : $2,094,210.27

The 3 properties with the largest tax exemptions are:

• 210 S. Ft. Harrison Ave : tax exemptions worth $740,112.60
(Property value is $48,504,600.00)
(Property Taxes with exemptions deducted are $273,740.40)

• 200 N. Osceola Ave : tax exemptions worth $394,528.80
(Property value is $25,856,100.00)
(Property Taxes with exemptions deducted are $145,921.20)

• 551 N. Saturn Ave : tax exemptions worth $348,733.60
(Property value is $23,137,200.00)
(Property Taxes with exemptions deducted are $112,554.40)

24 parcels have tax exemptions, while 58 parcels have no tax exemptions. Mostly, it is the high value parcels that have tax exemptions.

Curiously, there are 2 high-value properties that do not have any tax exemptions:

• 1791 Sherwood (Sherwood Garden Apartments lots 1 to 8)
(Property value is $31,826,400.00)
(Property Taxes are $634,526.40)

• 221 N. Osceola Ave (Kingston Property lots 1 to 3)
(Property value is $11,280,000.00)
(Property Taxes are $235,776.90)

The property values have been reduced over the last couple years, it looks like a property bubble burst. Sorry, I haven’t calculated the losses from last year, but if someone really wants to know, I can add up the losses and post it here. Or you can check for yourself, although it is rather time consuming.

Hope someone finds this information useful.

Does anyone know if similar information is available for Los Angeles?

vongole
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

bricks and mortar

Post by vongole » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:15 am

Fascinating! And that's just the real estate in one county that is officially registered to the CoS. Who knows what else they own under different fronts?

If anyone ever really wanted to verify that the Church of Scientology is all about money and only about money - this is a good place to start.

So, dear parishioners, that is where all your "donations" and service fees end up: bricks and mortar - (and miniature bespoke shoes and suits). Just like Macdonalds, it's not about fast food, it's about real estate.

I wouldn't be surprised if the value of all the property owned by the "church" went north of a billion dollars. Does anyone know?

In view of the unquestionable wealth of the CoS, it is all the more sickening then that SO members receive only $2,080 a year or whatever pathetic amount it is that they currently get paid.

Even if the CoS could deliver real spiritual gains, their exchange with the members of the Sea Org is criminal. All that urgency about clearing the planet, saving mankind and the end of the world is nigh turns out to be just another pressure technique to recruit more slaves.

When you are being recruited for the SO you are made to feel like a complete heel if you don't join and that the world will definitely come to an end if you don't join immediately.

What is the golden rule when investigating criminality? Follow the money.

Oh, and talking of cults, the Mormon Church is just the same: all about money and just as criminal as the CoS. Only richer. Lafayette, big mistake coming back as Suri. You should have come back as a latter day Joseph Smith. Maybe next time. One lives and learns.
"Dad had an insatiable desire for an awful lot of money... All the money went to Dad." L. Ron Hubbard jr.
[img]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/vongoloid/new-v-4-vongole-2a-1.gif[/img] Tommy exposed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zIihiJIDvg

Sea Horse

Re: CofS owns 200 million dollars worth of property in Pinellas

Post by Sea Horse » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:22 am

Thanks, P. Don Ron, for your research and posting. To fill out the statistics and put them into a real-life context, the names and/or purposes of these high-end buildings are as follows...

High-end buildings with some tax exemption status:

210 S. Ft. Harrison Ave, aka The Fort Harrison Hotel, delivery space (auditing), offices, and hotel rooms for visiting pcs and students

200 N. Osceola Ave, aka The Sandcastle, delivery space (auditing and training), offices and restaurant for the Flag Advanced Organization (FSO AO)

551 N. Saturn Ave, aka The Hacienda, the main berthing for Clearwater Sea Org members

The 2 high-value properties that do not have any tax exemptions per P. Don Ron:

1791 Sherwood, previously known as Sherwood Garden Apartments, the NEW additional berthing space for Clearwater Sea Org members that is just a few blocks north of The Hacienda berthing

221 N Osceola Ave, the hotel and restaurant spaces for the Sandcastle AO parishioners

In some Church of Scientology briefings, it was said that on the Fort Harrison Hotel property some of it is tax exempt as a religious location and some is commercial (the hotel and restaurants). It was said that with the opening of the Super Power building as a delivery space, all delivery will be shifted from the Ft Harrison to the Super Power building, then the Fort Harrison Hotel will be renovated to be just a hotel, restaurants, offices, etc. so it would be fully commercial and taxable (presumably like 221 N Osceola Ave).

P. Don Ron

Post by P. Don Ron » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:04 am

Sea Horse, thanks for filling in the details. A few more comments to your information.

All properties at 210 S. Ft. Harrison Ave, aka The Fort Harrison Hotel are listed as having tax exemptions. Unless the hotels and restaurants are at a different address, they are included in the exemptions.

Most (23) of the properties with tax exemptions are classified as having “Institutional” tax exemption.

However, 1 property is classified with a “Historic” tax exemption : 336 1st Ave N. and the property use is classified as “Retail w/Apt Above”. This property is given a “Historic” tax exemption of $125,400.00.

Anyone is free to research this for themselves at http://www.pcpao.org/

Do you know the address of the Super Power Building? Curious to find out the appraised commercial value.

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:11 pm

P. Don Ron wrote:However, 1 property is classified with a “Historic” tax exemption : 336 1st Ave N. and the property use is classified as “Retail w/Apt Above”. This property is given a “Historic” tax exemption of $125,400.00.
That property is the St Petersburg Testing Center property, located in downtown St Pete and owned by CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY OF TAMPA INC.

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:34 pm

P. Don Ron wrote:Do you know the address of the Super Power Building? Curious to find out the appraised commercial value.
No "address" yet.

It's parcel number 16/29/15/94896/000/0010

Owned by CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY RELIGIOUS TRUST, 319 S GARDEN AVE, CLEARWATER FL 33756-5423.

Just/Market Value: $1,559,100

Taxes: $32,588.60
Taxes without any exemptions: $32,588.60

Land Use: Vacant Commercial 265 x 350

Deeded 1991 from Graymoss, Inc. to Allen Hubbert, Jonathan Epstein & James W. Cole as trustees under THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY RELIGIOUS TRUST, whose post office address is 6331 Hollywood Blvd, Suite 1200, Los Angeles CA 90028.

Judith Anderson

Post by Judith Anderson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:50 pm

And with all the money they are saving by being a parasitical organization exempt from taxes, they still can't finish that monstrosity on the Ft. Harrison. They'll do it in 2008? That's 46 days away. I'll believe it when I see it.

J. Swift

Post by J. Swift » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:02 pm

Judith: My sources at Flag tell me 2010 or later for the Super Power Rundowns to be released. What my source tells me is that another DM arbitrary will be introduced. Here is the old DM arbitrary:

OT IX and OT X cannot be released until all Orgs reach old St. Hill size.

The new DM arbitrary that will supposedly be announced:

The Super Power Rundowns will not be available until all Scientologists have done the New Basics.

There is immense peer pressure to do The New Basics. I may lose my nominal standing in CoS if I don't do The New Basics, i.e. I become a dilettante or PTS.

OCMB and other boards have also heard that the 150-200 auditors needed for SP are not trained and that the SP Rundowns themselves are not ready. Other than that, the SP Bldg could open in order for CoS to use the space for other reasons. For example, CoS could drill people on how to vacuum the carpet in large empty areas of the building. The LRH Vacuum Cleaner Rundown: $2198.00. No wait. $2849.50.

/////
Last edited by J. Swift on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:13 pm

J. Swift wrote:(1)OT IX and OT X cannot be released until all Orgs reach old St. Hill size.
(2)The Super Power Rundowns will not be available until all Scientologists have done the New Basics.
Wow! I just realized something. DM is "using" all the OTVII's and OTVIII's to build his real estate empire with the first of these DM arbitraries.

StormBringer

Post by StormBringer » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:59 pm

Cant Clearwater set a date for the trasnfer of the tax exempt status to the SP building? or at least the cancelation of the exempt status on the other buildings.

Atheist

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:11 am

StormBringer wrote:Cant Clearwater set a date for the trasnfer of the tax exempt status to the SP building? or at least the cancelation of the exempt status on the other buildings.Atheist
The Super Power building would have to be completed first... certificate of occupancy... yada yada yada.

P. Don Ron

Post by P. Don Ron » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:58 am

In the meantime, Co$ still has to pay in excess of $30,000 per year in property taxes for the "vacant lot" of the SP building.

Co$ cannot claim tax exemptions for an unfinished building.[/img][/list]

Little Bear Victor

Post by Little Bear Victor » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:01 pm

P. Don Ron wrote:In the meantime, Co$ still has to pay in excess of $30,000 per year in property taxes for the "vacant lot" of the SP building.

Co$ cannot claim tax exemptions for an unfinished building.[/img][/list]
That's nothing for them as long as Flag makes $1,500,000 per week.

The rest of Scientology combined makes less than Flag.

Events make more income per year than Flag.

Thus DM priorities: 1) Events, 2) Flag 3) Ideal Orgs.

Some ex-Int Finance person may be able to tell what investments the Church has made and how much they generate. Over one billion in real estate is just one side of it.

Can someone explain in layman's terms how the hell the Church ever got tax exemption?

V

lulu_belle

Post by lulu_belle » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:57 pm

Little Bear Victor wrote:Events make more income per year than Flag.

Victor, where does this idea come from that "events make money"????

What orgs make money off of events?

Not the ones I've been in.

I suffered through at least 10 years of these mega Int events, at least 6 a year, and none of them had any kind of positive effects GI-wise, or otherwise, on the service orgs. Especially long term. None.
"Is leaving Scientology the new black?"

Little Bear Victor

Post by Little Bear Victor » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:19 pm

lulu_belle wrote:
Little Bear Victor wrote:Events make more income per year than Flag.

Victor, where does this idea come from that "events make money"????

What orgs make money off of events?

Not the ones I've been in.

I suffered through at least 10 years of these mega Int events, at least 6 a year, and none of them had any kind of positive effects GI-wise, or otherwise, on the service orgs. Especially long term. None.
Not for the orgs, for DM. Why would he care about the orgs making money for themselves?

IAS donations are possibly the most lucrative source of rapid "non-profit" income. Also the releases can make a bunch of money. DM was going around bragging how he "personally" made $68,000,000 "for Scientology" during MV 2006. He has given similar figures for other event income he has "personally and by him lonesome" made. His point was that everyone else is just a dog or a communist trying to live off of him, my point is that events make him more money than anything else.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”