Do Scientologists still advocate barley milk for infants?

Share your personal experiences with others. We're not here to judge or criticise, but to share and support.

Moderator: Dorothy

Gamaliel
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Do Scientologists still advocate barley milk for infants?

Post by Gamaliel » Sat Aug 19, 2000 8:04 pm

All religions and value systems have favorite customs. Many are worthwhile, like washing before praying and eating. Others seem illogical to outsiders. I respect all people's rights to their own customs (though having TWO Christmas trees in the same house instead of one is WRONG, I tell you, WRONG!) ;)

On a serious side, thirteen years ago, scientologists had a custom I DISAGREE with - the custom of giving barley milk to infants in place of formula or breastmilk. Are they still doing this? What else are they doing to infants and children in the area of sleep, food, affection and discipline?

anonymous
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by anonymous » Sat Aug 19, 2000 9:52 pm

By Anonymous

I fed all three of my children the "barley formula" and they did amazingly well. This was during the time when I was very much into being a Scientologist. Now that I'm not part of the "church" anymore, I can still say that I think this formula is not "bogus"; barley IS full of protein. When I was a baby, the doctor had my mother feeding me canned cream and Karo syrup...how healthy is that? My kids were very healthy and had great heads of hair! By the way, my youngest is 2 years old, so the barley thing is still happening within the church! And by the way, I was a Scientology public, not a staff member or Sea Org member.

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Sat Aug 19, 2000 10:52 pm

Dear Anonymous,
I'm interested in the details. How did you make the barley formula and what ages did you give it to your children? What else was in the recommended diet?

speedwell

Post by speedwell » Sun Aug 20, 2000 6:46 am

I can imagine that a mild, barley-based formula is perfectly fine for babies provided they get juice and vitamin drops too... barley at least is not among the genetically modified crops (so far!) and has much to recommend it over hormone-tainted milk and questionably safe soy-based formulas...

my mom was very much taken aback by recent findings that genistein, an estrogen-like hormone that soybeans are a "good source" of, might contribute to estrogen-dependent breast cancer rather than fighting it. Jury's still out on this. But would you take a chance on feeding anything "estrogen-like" to an infant? God, no wonder little girls approach menarche (on set of periods) at seven these days... don't *even* get me started on the hormones they give cows to increase milk production.

My advice is get a pregnant nanny goat if you have the space to raise one. The milk is plenty nutritious, well-tolerated by little ones, and you'll know exactly what goes into it. You can sell the kid (the baby goat, that is!) unless you want to raise it too.

HOW TO MAKE barley (or oat, or any other grain and most nut) milk: Soak the grain, oat groats, rice, raw cashews, or raw almonds overnight in a bowl of water in the refrigerator (to avoid fermentation). Blend the soaked grain with some of the water in a powerful blender (not a food processor; use a Vita-Mix if you have one) until all the grittiness is gone. Strain through a silk cloth, well-washed cotton hanky, or several layers of cheesecloth. Add sugar, vanilla, a pinch of salt, extra water to taste... do NOT use honey for babies. (Here in Houston, where we have so many Hispanic people, a rice milk drink called horchata is very popular; you make it with leftover cooked rice, sugar, and a bit of cinnamon... very quick.)

hope this helps! Try www.notmilk.org for more resources and links to making and using milk alternatives.

votre sante :) speedwell

leaving scientology

Post by leaving scientology » Sun Aug 20, 2000 7:01 pm

I have read a transcript of a tape by LRH in which he discusses the formula.

A woman asks if it is OK to add vitamines to it. LRH does not answer the question but sends her to ethics for asking the question.

I suppose that it is not the formula that is harmful but the mentality that turns a mothers concern for her child into an ethics offence.

anonymous

Post by anonymous » Sun Aug 20, 2000 10:06 pm

To Gamaliel,

The barley formula is made by boiling a pouch of pearled barley in water overnight in a crock pot. This barley water is then mixed with milk and a sweetener. (I used brown rice syrup for my kids because it is healthier than corn syrup...) I can't remember, but I think the formula calls for 2 parts barley water to 1 part milk and then add the sweetener to the baby's taste. I gave the formula to my kids from birth to about one year of age each. Other than the barley formula, I know of no other "practices" regarding nutrition for children in Scientology.

clamato

Post by clamato » Sun Aug 20, 2000 11:01 pm

I did a search for "barley formula" and the hits that came up were Scientology and dog food. I guess I will just let that speak for itself.

I used the barley formula. I don't have the proportions any longer, but going on memory: boil barley, mix the water the barley was boiled in with Karo syrup. I don't remember if milk was added or not. I used this formula 20 years ago. It may have gone through revisions. There appears to have been a revision in 1991, after I left.

Hubbard claimed he "remembered" this formula when he contacted a past life of his as a Roman centurion. He claimed it was high in protein. (But by adding the Karo syrup it seemed like any benefit from the protein was being outweighed by the junk additive). Anyway, my son was brain damaged from his "Dianetic" birth. I don't know if the barley formula hurt him any further. I do know that I refused to use anything Scientology in connection with my second child, and he turned out normal.

Jesse Prince talks about the barley formula and treatment of children at http://www.offlines.org/jt3.txt (search for "barley")

I saw the cadet org too. It was as Jesse says, and it was awful. The day I was there, kids were running around like maniacs, with no real supervision except an adult body in the room (30 kids/babies to 1 adult), babies were crawling around on the floor, crying, near some broken glass, as the overwhelmed nanny was being ordered to clean up because some sort of state inspection was coming in. It was dirty diaper central. Phew!!! And the kids were dirty and acted wild.

It is true SO members can only see their kids an hour a day (and I assume this is IF their stats are up and they aren't off on mission somewhere). Non-SO staff usually had little time off, and less money. I knew of a family that was living on rice because that is all they could afford. Both were staff and they had 3 children and she was pregnant with #4. Kids are third class citizens in Scientology.

pam smith

Post by pam smith » Sun Aug 20, 2000 11:14 pm

hi. i was a public in scn for about 18 years. i had 3 of my 6 kids while i was in. i ha very successfully nursed the kids i had b4 scn and i continued to do so after i was in with my later born kids.i admit i was big into la leche league and when i read that bit about barley water for babies it was probably one of the 15-20 major disagreements i had with lrh and the tech which later contributed to my leaving. barley water may be fine for babies, but lr said it was better than mom milk and i knew that was bs.

New Guy

Post by New Guy » Mon Aug 21, 2000 2:12 am

All,
The formula is available in one of the LRH books on teaching the cult . Most likely available in your local library. If you care to read such things. I did, and on an earlier post the title was given, can't remember it now. By the way this formula has been around for a couple of thousand years, so it is no revelation.

NG

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Mon Aug 21, 2000 4:44 am

Dear Anonymous and Speedwell,
I respect that you fed your babies what you thought was best at the time. If you were public, not SO members, you also were able to protect your children from the neglect in the Scientology day-care centers. I'm very interested in your perspective.

Your children had resilience and thrived on the barley-milk diet. What about other chidren raised like yours? How many kids who thrived and how many didn't?
On average, how alert and intelligent did the barley-milk kids turn out at age 5 or 10 or 15? How did they do on standardized tests, for example?
Do you know moms (or their babysitters) who sneaked in a little infant formula, and how did their kids do?

Mike de Wolf

Post by Mike de Wolf » Mon Aug 21, 2000 6:34 am

The book that descibes the barley water formula is a compilation called "The Second Dynamic."

How's that for marketing? Give it a title that means "SEX" to a Scientologist!!

BTW, this book also contains the gem from Science of Survival that teaches that women belong in the home and not in business.

Mike

speedwell

Post by speedwell » Mon Aug 21, 2000 2:37 pm

Gamaliel, I wasn't a Scientologist and I didn't feed any babies, but I study natural therapies; I am a vegetarian and I'm concerned about the gradual and cumulative poisoning of our food supply.

It's simply my understanding that babies can live well and thrive wonderfully on a non-animal-derived diet; even Dr. Spock recommends it in a recent edition of his famous book Baby and Child Care. Children whose parents and doctors understand how to construct a vegetarian diet so as to provide proper nutrition are on the whole closer to the optimum physically and mentally, and that's what's most important... no diet "teaches" the intellect, it can only help polish what's already there.

It wasn't my intention to give the "official" Scientology barley water recipe; I was giving references and a recipe to those who wished to pursue or continue to pursue milk substitutes as an alternative to hormone-and-antibiotic-laced commercial cow milk products.

That said, I hand the baton to pam and anonymous :)

great day... speedwell

gamaliel

Post by gamaliel » Mon Aug 21, 2000 6:36 pm

Dear Speedwell,

Good for you. I'm glad there are no doe goats being milked behind the Fort Harrison in Clearwater. The Scientologists would have better nutrition, but I'd feel sorry for the goats.

anonymous

Post by anonymous » Mon Aug 21, 2000 6:40 pm

To Gamaliel,

I was a public when I gave my kids the barley formula, and I was not in any way "forced" to use it. As a matter of fact, a few of my friends at the time, thought that breastfeeding was the way to go and they got no opposition to that. I really did believe that the barley formula was healthier than the over-the-counter formula. Did you ever read what is in Similac? The only problem I see with the formula is that some children have milk allergies and therefore cannot digest it properly. Another Scientologist I knew simply substituted the cow's milk for rice milk. And yes, L. Ron Hubbard said to use Karo syrup; but at the time that he published the formula healthier products such as brown rice syrup were not so available. As you know, people have become more health conscious over the years since L. Ron Hubbard wrote this stuff... However, if you told a "true Scientologist" that you altered the formula a little bit, that would be squirreling now, wouldn't it? The works of L. Ron Hubbard didn't always keep up with the times... By the way, my children are highly intelligent; but I feel that comes from somewhere else, not what they were fed, although I do feel nutrition is important! P.S. I also agree with NewGuy that the barley formula has been around for thousands of years...

gamaliel

Post by gamaliel » Mon Aug 21, 2000 8:01 pm

Thanks, anonymous. I'm glad that public scientologists have a choice, and especially that they can breast-feed. That early cholestrum (the watery-looking milk that mothers give in the first week after birth) is SO important to give immunity against disease. And barley has some "protein," but it is balanced to grow healthy barley seedlings, not human babies. There are easily a million proteins in the human body, each with its own job to do, including growing a baby's brain and immune system. I worry about fanatics who, for MONTHS, ONLY give the new baby barley milk, or who mix it with straight cow's milk, which adds calcium and "cow" proteins but has nutritional deficiencies. Did this happen to anyone you knew?

Processed soy or cow milk infant formula isn't perfect for newborns; it might trigger allergies in succeptible children. And after decades of tinkering, it's still not complete. Scientists keep finding new, important proteins in breast milk that should be added to infant formula. But
forumla is much better than straight barley milk for new or older babies.

Yes, I know even breast milk is not complete - northern babies in the winter need added Vitamin D, for example. After four or five months of nursing, rice or barley are fine foods and let the mother slowly start the process of weaning. I'm not a La Leche League fanatic but I agree with anonymous that breast milk is best.

Clamato, I'm sorry to hear about your baby that was damaged by a "Dianetics" birth, but congratulations on saving your second baby. Can you tell us what happened? Don't reveal yourself with details about gender, time, place, attendants, and unusual events, though.

Return to “Your story from inside Scientology”