Riverside County Supervisors meeting

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
I'mglib
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Riverside County Supervisors meeting

Post by I'mglib » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:11 am

So, AO, Benny’s Friend and I attended the meeting, and AO and I spoke. A woman who was a professor or something also spoke about free speech and the constitution.
I guess it went ok, because the result was the ordinance was postponed, allegedly to do some “tweaking.” My hope is that it goes away all together.
The strange part was the two supervisors who had had their ears bent by the church of Scientology about how horrible Anonymous was. Jeff Stone even got on the overhead projector to show the propaganda that he had swallowed to everyone. It was the 50 page What it Anonymous dross. I thought it was a foolish move to show it, because it showed he had been duped. However, a second supervisor was on their side, too, and asked AO what was the difference between Anonymous and the Ku Klux Klan. Yikes.
Nonetheless, it ended well, I think. Afterwards we talked to several reporters who took our stories.

here's the video:

http://209.128.123.171/ppportal/agenda/webcast.aspx

Benny’s Friend will have a much better report, as she is incredibly observant.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

I'mglib
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by I'mglib » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:14 am

Oh, I forgot to mention that the place was crawling with Scientologists. They didn't speak, except for their lawyer, who was given extra time for some reason.

Moxon, Richardson and several others were there. One guy tried to eavesdrop as Benny's Friend and I talked to a reporter.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Benny's Friend

Post by Benny's Friend » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:25 am

http://209.128.123.171/ppportal/agenda/webcast.aspx

Second vid from top (the 3 hour one) starting at 1:16:00 -- Glibby was magnificent!

I think if you watch the whole section regarding the ordinance it pretty much speaks for itself. The strategy was to villianize the protesters by villianizing Anonymous. Verrrrrrrrry interesting.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:12 am

For the record, someone posted a "report" on WWP, who apparently wasn't actually at the meeting, and this report is pretty much false. No one got kicked out. Also, someone owes someone $10.
Last edited by I'mglib on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:16 am

Direct link to video: http://tinyurl.com/5cyczv

Long link is
http://209.128.123.171/RiversideCounty/ ... 43cd-89b5-
ae06b8692ab6/BOS%2012-9-2008%20AM/Presentation_file/mgpresenter.html?Stream=local%20capture

Summary by time stamp within 3 hr video:

1:10 start
1:16 Woman for the protesting (glibby?)
1:19 Man for the protesting, AnonOrange?
1:23 lawyer for the committee
1:31 Anonymous called a hate group
1:32 AnonOrange answers questions
1:36 Jeff Stone, proceeds to show CofS propaganda re Anonymous group
1:41 Bob Buster (committee member) Wise words included:
we're being dragged into protection of
we're connecting it to a particular religious dispute
dangerous ground re an ordinance re protesting
I don't see a need for it, coming out of this one incident at one location.
can't support it [the ordinance]

1:45 Roy Wilson vote no
1:45 Jeff Stone strong supporter of freedom of religion
agrees to table until later and with re-write of ordinance
as long as it "allows for right to protest, but protect the privacy and safety of those being protested against from any type of violent activity and from the limiting their ingress and egress of their dwelling"

1:48 John Tavaglione
1:48 continuance passed 5 to 0
1:49 end of segment
We are the architects of our own lives. Design and build the life you want.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:24 am

Thanks for the breakdown, Seahorse.
Bob Buster is a very wise person.
So is Roy Wilson, who seemed to get it, too.
John Tavaglione is the guy who asked what was the difference between Anonymous and the Ku Klux Klan.

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:28 am

My impressions from watching the video:

One can tell that the lawyer for the committe and Jeff Stone are excellent public speakers and had not one ounce of nervousness in them.

Glibby and AO, on the other hand, were both passionate. AO seemed quite nervous and some of what he said was a little non-sequitur -- those of us who know the issue know what he was talking about, but someone not familiar with the incident might not have understood all he said.

There was much CofS propaganda re Anonymous introduced.

Both Jeff Stone and the committee lawyer said they were Jewish. Much of the CofS propaganda portrayed Anons as Nazis, hating Jews, all religions and many other groups (Epileptics? Jesus!).

Conclusion: CofS's propaganda DOES have some effect on others.

There is that earlier group called Anonymous which is not associated with the anti-CofS Anons who was engaged in some illegal acts, and are flippant and cruel-joking online of many groups. Their joking taken out of context makes them look like hatemongers.

In the meeting, there seemed to be a very strong linking of anti-CofS Anons to the KKK and their activity. Very strong. It came across loud and clear.

I applaud the other members of the committee to say that they don't think this ordinance is wise in the face of a fight solely between two parties, but I can also see that they were affected by the information and willing to reconsider the ordinance (or some sort of version thereof) if more incidents occur.

It was very interesting to see AnonOrange trying to answer the "Yes or no" question of "Were you a member of Anonymous?" The assumption in the question is that (a) Anonymous is a group, and (b) the anti-CofS Anons are part of the larger/earlier Anonymous group. There seemed no simple answer for AO to that question -- it was a loaded question like "Do you still beat your wife?"

I see that the committee didn't receive any information that separated the anti-CofS Anons from the Anonymous group they were made familiar with by CofS propaganda. The committee didn't understand why anyone protesting CofS felt they needed to do so anonymously.

Here is a good example of why the name "Anonymous" should be dropped. (In favor of what? I don't know.) CofS is good with propaganda (they call it PR). Sad fact, unfortunately, and one the Scientology critic community must address, I think.

Anyway, those were my impressions from watching the video. It was interesting. I can't say it was a win or a lose. But it was certainly an interesting data-collection video.

I recommend watching those 39 minutes.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:44 am

Good summary.
Benny's Friend said she thought we got a "B" at the end of the day.
The bad part was this:
There is that earlier group called Anonymous which is not associated with the anti-CofS Anons who was engaged in some illegal acts, and are flippant and cruel-joking online of many groups. Their joking taken out of context makes them look like hatemongers.

In the meeting, there seemed to be a very strong linking of anti-CofS Anons to the KKK and their activity. Very strong. It came across loud and clear.
The good part is the ordinance WAS NOT passed.

Another good part, we talked to press afterwards, who actually came out of the meeting to talk to us, and especially the Press Enterprise seemed very interested in getting our side. We also talked to the North County Times who said our side would be presented.

Benny's Friend

Post by Benny's Friend » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:00 am

I'd like to tell on myself a little here and put a stop to a rumor being circulated elsewhere. During Stone's presentation designed to villianize the protesters by villianizing Anonymous, at around 1:40 you hear him admonishing a woman to pipe down. That woman was me. When I realized where Stone was trying to take the Supervisors I said very loudly, "That has nothing to do with the protesters!!!" A female deputy came over to me and said if I spoke up again I would have to leave. I said, "I understand," and that was that.

Afterward, I apologized to the Supervisors for my outburst -- but I certainly don't regret it. The distinction needed to be made that those disgusting images portrayed in Scientology propaganda have absolutely nothing to do with the protesters at Gold.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:09 am

You were right, BF.

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:57 am

Great job Glibby, Benny's friend and all! I wish I would have been there with you.

The "High Strangeness" of this rush to violate free speach and pass an ordinance for the cult of scientology when the AO trial is not even over makes me wonder what blackmail the cult has on the members of Riverside County government, police and Sherrifs department. People are much more likely to respond to blackmail than they are to payoffs and bribes.

++++++++Sacred Cult Scripture+++++++++++

"We are slowly and carefully teaching the unholy a lesson.
It is as follows: "We are not a law enforcement agency.
BUT we will become interested in the crimes of people who
seek to stop us. If you oppose Scientology we promptly
look up—and will find and expose your crimes. If you leave
us alone we will leave you alone." It's very simple. Even
a fool can grasp that. And don't underrate our ability to
carry it out. "

— L. Ron Hubbard
HCOB 05 November 1967 Critics of Scientology

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
[i]"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH[/i]

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:34 am

Benny's Friend wrote:I'd like to tell on myself a little here and put a stop to a rumor being circulated elsewhere. During Stone's presentation designed to villianize the protesters by villianizing Anonymous, at around 1:40 you hear him admonishing a woman to pipe down. That woman was me. When I realized where Stone was trying to take the Supervisors I said very loudly, "That has nothing to do with the protesters!!!" A female deputy came over to me and said if I spoke up again I would have to leave. I said, "I understand," and that was that.

Afterward, I apologized to the Supervisors for my outburst -- but I certainly don't regret it. The distinction needed to be made that those disgusting images portrayed in Scientology propaganda have absolutely nothing to do with the protesters at Gold.
Ah. I wondered what that was about. I heard something in the background and Stone say something like "It's not your turn, and you can be thrown out for that." He said it so quickly like he was well-drilled in that line.

Kilia

Post by Kilia » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:06 am

I could hear all of the videos, except this one. I am using FF, but switched to IE to see if that would help. It did not.
*sigh*

hartley

Re: Riverside County Supervisors meeting

Post by hartley » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:50 am

I'mglib wrote:However, a second supervisor was on their side, too, and asked AO what was the difference between Anonymous and the Ku Klux Klan. Yikes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_tea_party

Somehow I don't think the 'Indians' who tipped tea into Boston Harbour would be equated with the Ku Klux Klan simply because they were disguised!

This one has a while to run yet I'm afraid. You can however chalk up a couple more successes - the local Press and the local authority can no longer pretend that nothing is going on in their backyard. From what we've seen elsewhere, eventually and inevitably the culties will 'flip', realise their neighbours are Suppressive Persons and start attacking them.
"allows for right to protest, but protect the privacy and safety of those being protested against from any type of violent activity and from the limiting their ingress and egress of their dwelling"
That's a Cut Out and Keep. Neither of those has happened! The simple solution is that used in every other protest and picket - if the police have reason to believe that the law might be broken then it is their DUTY to vacate the doughnut shop and attend.
ARSCC Demographics Department
Still looking for 9,950,000 scientologists.
http://news-from-bree.blogspot.com/
http://www.newsfrombree.co.uk/

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:42 am

as long as it "allows for right to protest, but protect the privacy and safety of those being protested against from any type of violent activity and from the limiting their ingress and egress of their dwelling"
This is what is referred to in scientology as "cleaning a clean." (God I hate that language). It's a form of "dev-t" (developed and unnecessary traffic - even in long form it is a form of the loaded language), which, in scientology, will get an ethics report in an ethics folder.

Laws that have all those features are already in place. Another one is superfluous.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”